Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 1, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #4,861 of 15,268
Did not expect them to drop in price at all. Someone said Philips was planning to raise the price? Even the warehouse sets dropped in price. For some people, they will be deciding between K7XX or used X2 for the same price.

The warehouse price seem to go down and then back up.

The L2s went down to £90 (very good condition) at one point on Amazon UK.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4,862 of 15,268
I'm surprised you said the treble is edgy. I found it to be extremely smooth and slightly rolled off.

Quote:
  At $248 I might have kept my X2. Sub-bass is amazing on them, but the treble was often too edgy for me with them straight out of my laptop. It's now 2 months later and I'm planning to get an amp, the HD650, and a DAC. I wonder if I had these upgrades back when I had the X2 if they would have refined and smoothed out its treble enough. Oh well. Excellent price for newcomers.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #4,863 of 15,268
  The warehouse price seem to go down and then back up.

The L2s went down to £90 (very good condition) at one point on Amazon UK.

the warehouse prices are usually based on the New price.

i.e. Amazon US on Friday New was 299.99 and Used Very Good was 239.99. After the price drop yesterday, new was 247.99 and User Very Good was $198.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #4,864 of 15,268
I'm surprised you said the treble is edgy. I found it to be extremely smooth and slightly rolled off.

I purchased them in the first place because the consensus was that they were indeed smooth sounding and slightly rolled off. My #1 criteria for headphones - beyond whether they were open/closed/planar/dynamic/large/small/V-shape/flat/warm/neutral/etc - was that they be smooth sounding. So imagine my surprise when I found the treble to be edgy.

During my month long time with them, I continued to research them and began to find others - including users on this thread and other sites and reviewers - call attention to their treble being tizzy as well. I was glad to know that it wasn't just me.

They aren't harsh sounding or sibilant. They are definitely not like Grados either. But there are certain peaks and bumps in their lower treble response that prevents them from sounding truly smooth, at least to me.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #4,865 of 15,268
The last few posts emphasize how different people can perceive the same headphone. DryHopped has an issue with the treble while others and I do not.

I find the sub-bass too warm (slightly congested? if I'm using that right) depending on the track, and it takes away from the mids just a little bit. I don't think it's bass bleed though. Just my personal opinion because I listened to a BA IEM for the past 6 years before getting a dynamic IEM then the X2. The previous two IEMs do not have sub-bass like the X2 which may just take time to get used to. Regardless, I still find the X2  fun and I may purchase another pair after RMAing mine back to Amazon.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but female vocals don't sound quite as good in comparison to male vocals which were great on the X2.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #4,867 of 15,268
Indeed. Different people, different ears, different sources, different perceptions.

Many of you find no fault in the treble, but myself, Tyll, Hachiko, WriterHead, and others seem to hear various degrees of edginess, tizzyness, grittiness, or graininess. Not by great significance, merely nit picking here, but enough to keep them from sounding silky smooth. I have a feeling it has to do with the 10k Hz spike in Tyll's measurements. Perhaps that spike varies slightly enough from model to model, I really don't know.

Regardless, the X2 is one of the best headphones that I've heard so far, very musical and engaging, and has amazing subbass.

I'm just looking for a more euphonic, refined, and ultimately smoother signature.

My sonic journey from here will likely be HD650 -> HE-560 -> LCD 2 -> Oppo PM-1, or some variation of that, funds permitting, as those seem to really fit my preference. Time to save :)

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4,868 of 15,268
Hi guys,

I am currently considering buying the X2s. I like to listen to music in bed but am wondering how comfortable/suited  they are for this because of their size.

My alternative choice would be the Sennheiser HD598. Although I prefer the sound of the X2 I find the Sennheiser far more comfortable. Its also 50% of the price of the X2.

Appreciate your input :)

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #4,869 of 15,268
I have 595's which are similar Sennheisers.  The X2's sound better overall, particularly in the bass, although the 595's are a fine phone.
The challenges to listening to the X2's in bed are the greater heat that builds up, and the pressure from the headband.  The 595's are a lot more open, lighter, and don't have the awkward headphone clamping.  The X2's will work laying down, but they aren't quite as comfortable I think, even rubber banding the headclamp back a bit on the X2's...

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #4,870 of 15,268
  Hi guys,

I am currently considering buying the X2s. I like to listen to music in bed but am wondering how comfortable/suited  they are for this because of their size.

My alternative choice would be the Sennheiser HD598. Although I prefer the sound of the X2 I find the Sennheiser far more comfortable. Its also 50% of the price of the X2.

At least for me, using them in bed, with the back of my head on a pillow, will push the headphones forward to my face. The ear cups are large and circular. I much prefer my HD558 in bed.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #4,873 of 15,268
Hi guys,

As long as you lie in your back and dont move, or sit up and ofx dont mind the weight they are fine...

Tbh I really like mine but would not consider to ware them to bed, they are just too awkward for this imo.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #4,874 of 15,268
As long as you lie in your back and dont move, or sit up and ofx dont mind the weight they are fine...

Tbh I really like mine but would not consider to ware them to bed, they are just too awkward for this imo.

I would agree with this, and add that personally I couldn't lay on a pillow in bed or on a couch with any full size headphones.

Years ago, I used to sometimes run 24 hour taping sessions in my apartment. If I got tired, I'd have to switch to IEM's when I wanted to lay back on a pillow on my couch.
At the time I had full size Sennheiser phones, not sure of the model number, but the same design as the now 500 series.

When I checked around noon EST today, amazon was sold out of the Fidelio X2, but it say's it's temporary and you could still order them for the new lower price.

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #4,875 of 15,268
  Hi guys,

My pillow is crappy and thin, even though X2 is way too big to move around on bed but.. It does the job quite well. 
After eating a sandwich, it's a pleasant activity lay down and listen some music =) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back