Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 10, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3,271 of 15,268
  Haven't seen a response to my first post yet, so re-posting this...
I love my X2s, but unfortunately have come across a physical issue with them - The hex-bolt attachments at the base of the headband are starting to come loose - they look like they can be tightened, but disassembly looks a bit tricky.  Might you have any access to resources available (assembly drawings, insight, etc...) for assisting in self-servicing these bad boys?  Shot in the dark here, but figured your place held some hope with at least a point in the right direction to tackle this issue.  I also have high-mag photos of this issue exposed if you're interested.  Thank you!
Cheers,
-Matt

P.S. - I'd love to post a high-magnification photo of this issue for you all to see, but I don't have permission to do so - anyone know how I can get permission?

Looks pretty straight forward if I'm thinking of the same spot that you are talking about. Two screws, one on each side of the cup. Loosen/remove, pop out the cup, tighten the nut to the headband, reverse. I'd probably consider a dab of locktite to keep it from happening again unless for some crazy reason you think you may take them apart in the future.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #3,272 of 15,268
  Ah, ok - Thank you for responding, MrRick - do you own the X2s?  Had any issues with the headband loosening?

I'll be getting mine on Friday.
k701smile.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #3,273 of 15,268
  Looks pretty straight forward if I'm thinking of the same spot that you are talking about. Two screws, one on each side of the cup. Loosen/remove, pop out the cup, tighten the nut to the headband, reverse. I'd probably consider a dab of locktite to keep it from happening again unless for some crazy reason you think you may take them apart in the future.

Very cool, ArmAndHammer - Thank you for that!  Totally didn't know that those screws on each side of the cup were actually screws!  Will definitely be doing that to tighten it up!

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3,276 of 15,268
  Regarding photo posting permissions: Will I automatically have permission to post photos when I reach a certain amount of posts, or do I have to do something else? Thanks again!

It's an automatic thing. But I don't know how many posts are required.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #3,277 of 15,268
What? Sibilance? I'm very sensitive to sibilance.
The X2's are not sibilant to me at all, in fact they have a nice dip in the fqr that suits my sensitive ears well.

And I have owned two X2's both sibilance free

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #3,278 of 15,268
I tried listening to the HD600 last night for the first time since getting the X2s and they sounded so flat and anaemic ! They had no bass! It's amazing how quickly you get used to something, I never felt the hd600s lacked bass I just wanted a touch more. Now I will need to re adjust if I want to use them again. Couple of things that do bother me about the X2 s though, firstly the cable microphonics are a bit annoying , secondly I think the bass may be a bit much and a little loose especially on some tracks . Its what makes them so enjoyable to listen to at the same time though, my ie800s have a lot of bass but because it's so tight and more toward the sub bass it never feels bloated or kills the image . It's more like it's a coming from the instrument and doesn't fill the room like it does with the x2 . This makes the ie800 sound more spacious but slightly 'thinner ' sounding than the x2. I still think I'm getting used to the x2 though and I've not decided if it's a good a bad thing yet. It's certainly a very fun headphone to listen to though .

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #3,279 of 15,268
Unlickily I had to return X2s because of treble sibilance, they were messing up my tinnitus :frowning2: uff my damn ears. I really look forward to Philips' next hifi headphones because otherwise X2 were perfect. For now, I'm sticking with HD600s

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #3,280 of 15,268
x2 are defo fun headphones to listen to I have never noticed sibilance, that is somehow strange as they are rather nice and smooth. Micro phonic cable  ? I had many and even made my own cables, never ever noticed micrphonic on any cable. Mids are not as forward as on other headphones but comparing to HE400 they are outstanding anyway. While some people here have so many different opinions on x2 It might suggest that there is maybe an issue at the production process, consistency...

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #3,281 of 15,268
For those interested I have been comparing X2 vs HD650 with iDSD micro: 

HD650: slow, muffled, smooth and forward mids, no glare or sibilance in vocals. 

X2: grainy highs, distant sounding vocals, more dinamic and airy.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #3,282 of 15,268
Distant vocals is an exaggeration. Yes, relative to the 650, anything not midrich will be 'distant', however, relative to anything else, the X2 is fairly linear in the mids, neither being forward nor recessed. If any part of the chain favors mids, the X2 will sound mid rich.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3,283 of 15,268
  x2 are defo fun headphones to listen to I have never noticed sibilance, that is somehow strange as they are rather nice and smooth. Micro phonic cable  ? I had many and even made my own cables, never ever noticed micrphonic on any cable. Mids are not as forward as on other headphones but comparing to HE400 they are outstanding anyway. While some people here have so many different opinions on x2 It might suggest that there is maybe an issue at the production process, consistency...

I don't think.

In my opinion the differents are heard because of different sources for the most, and for the lack or different acknowledge of what is flat and what is not, of what it was recorded and what there's added bewteen the master and your ears (source, cable, headphone).

So for sure a warm source, a cable rolled on top and X2 will never sound sibilant nor recessed in female voices.
Also sure that a neutral source, a cable which is not subracting anything and X2 will sound a bit sibilant (not much, but still..!) and female voices a bit recessed.

On top of that, there are big placebo effects as always and a difficulty (for everyone, I admit) to make objective thoughs about our new little toys than CAN'T be a bad choice or a bad buy :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #3,284 of 15,268
My X2 is sometimes a tiny bit sibilant on my Beresford Bushmaster 2, never, ever on my Violectric V200..This headphone was my last try in finding one that handles my tinnitus problems well..

So glad I found these, never heard such balanced headphones before, does Mahler and Shostakovich symphonies very well, and all the rest you through at them..in many ways I love these as much as I do my speakers, and that's saying a lot 
biggrin.gif

Great thread
wink_face.gif
  thanks guys.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,285 of 15,268
In regards to some people, including me, wanting to put the modmic 4.0 directly on the X2. (without the base clamp)

Response from Philips when I asked them to figure out if it could possibly damage or influence the drivers in any way:

U heeft ons gevraagd of u een modmic 4.0  direct zonder het tussenstukje op het metaal van de koptelefoon kan plaatsen.
Philips heeft dit even uitgezocht en het blijkt dat het mogelijk is zonder dat het eventuele schade bengt aan het apparaat.
Ik hoop dat mijn antwoord u een oplossing heeft geboden. Mocht u verder nog vragen of opmerkingen hebben,
aarzel dan niet om contact met ons op te nemen.

Translation: Philips did some research and came to the conclusion that this is going to have no influence at all on the headphones.

So yea, already though it would be fine, but nice to hear from them directly that it really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back