Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,066 of 15,268
Well yes I bought the X2 in the first place because the HD600 + "a nice amp" combo would have cost me way more

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,068 of 15,268
  ...maybe for you, but not necessarily everybody else.  Have you tried connecting the HD650 to a really nice source yet?

Do you think my Audiolab M-DAC is lacking ? Yes it's not the ultimate in fidelity but it is highly rated and understandably so.

I never thought that a Philips headphone would be toppling my HD650, however the HD650 is very old and also before anyone asks, I am using the newer and better HD650 which has the updated drive units i.e. the lighter coloured ones.

The X2 is more revealing than the HD650 so with a better source you'll have even greater gains.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,069 of 15,268
I have listened to my fidelio X2 for 2 days now. I am paring them with a Fiio e10k. I get light headaches and it's maybe because the highs are to bright and I get frequency sensitive. 
So I plugged the headphones directly into my onboard sound card and the highs got less harsh and the bass a bit tigher but lost a bit of soundstage and separation, of course the e10k is better than my onboard sound card but it accentuates the highs too much.

Is it because I am still burning them and after many hours of burn in the highs will dim down and the bass tighten or is it the Fiio e10k that brings the highs to much for my ears?

If anyone had the same issues with the x2 or a similar pair of headphones are there any other DAC/AMP in the price of 100pounds(I'm from UK) that would complement the headphones better than my fiio e10k? Thank you guys.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,070 of 15,268
  I have listened to my fidelio X2 for 2 days now. I am paring them with a Fiio e10k. I get light headaches and it's maybe because the highs are to bright and I get frequency sensitive. 
So I plugged the headphones directly into my onboard sound card and the highs got less harsh and the bass a bit tigher but lost a bit of soundstage and separation, of course the e10k is better than my onboard sound card but it accentuates the highs too much.

Is it because I am still burning them and after many hours of burn in the highs will dim down and the bass tighten or is it the Fiio e10k that brings the highs to much for my ears?

If anyone had the same issues with the x2 or a similar pair of headphones are there any other DAC/AMP in the price of 100pounds(I'm from UK) that would complement the headphones better than my fiio e10k? Thank you guys.

I'm not sure about the X2, but one of the best bargains in a AMP/DAC combo that is around that cost is the Aune T1.

With the Aune T1, you have the ability to roll tubes to change the sound sig to your liking - too bright, get a warmer sounding tube.

And the amp portion has selectable gain so should be enough to drive the X2.

Plus it has a line in for analog sources and a line-out if you want to use a different amp.

Keep in mind, the tube is only used in the DAC portion NOT the amp.  It is a Tube DAC with a Solid State amp.

I have one that I use with my HD25-1 and Q701 and it works great.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,072 of 15,268

It is a Tube DAC with a Solid State amp.

Correction - Aune T1 is solid state DAC with tube buffer + solid state amp. Aune T1 is very good for it`s price BUT imho capacitor upgrade is a MUST and first tube to go for would be Amperex 6DJ8 orange globe for about ~30$ (NOS). Stock tube is probably with too much extended highs and loose lows for X2/X1. And imho there`s no need for buying more expensive mk2 version of Aune T1 with non-synchronus USB reciever. Fist version is totally ok and I haven`t experienced any jitter. If You get great tube and do capacitor upgrade to ELNA SilmicII`s+Panasonic FR, then result is amazing! Based on my experience with Fidelio X1 :wink:

Sorry for OT.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,073 of 15,268
I think I will consider getting the Aune T1 and return the Fiio e10k. I feel like the fidelio x2 for some reason doesn't sound right to me with the fiio, its to harsh, like a knife straight into the ears and to distant.
I never had open back headphones before I have a Denon A-HD1100 and for me they sounded great but I needed something with bigger  soundstage, separation and clarity and I picked the Fidelio x2. 

I was wondering, with the closed back headphones: because the sound was not leaking anywhere, you usually can listen to them at  a lower volume and the sound would still be loud for your ears. I noticed that when I switched to the Fidelio x2, because the sound is open in the back, it needs more volume to hear them present in my ears and I can feel that they are very loud, I get ear fatigue, but still the sound is not forward in my ears, still distant, I hope you guys understand what I mean. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,074 of 15,268
Take time for Your brain and ears to "burn-in" and adjust for open-back sound :wink: And that "distant" may actually become soundstage depth expansion :wink: 

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,076 of 15,268
Sorry, but can`t help with that because I haven`t heard E10K. Maybe somebody else has X2 + E10K combination in this thread? 
But for what it counts, I believe Aune T1 with upgraded capacitors + great tube like Siemens E88CC should be noticeably better because I haven`t seen nobody saying about any FiiO beating Aune T1.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,077 of 15,268
I got the exact same feeling with E10K + X2, too sharp highs to my ears. The more volume needed and "distant" sound is due to their openness I think.

I don't know what other dac/amp in that price range can work well, especially in europe. Creative Sound Blaster E1/E3/E5 maybe?

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,078 of 15,268
Thank you CoiL, I did read in a thread here that someone had the x2 with the fiio e10k and it indeed sounded to bright for his ears, but his girlfriend liked the sound, so maybe I am to sensitive to the high frequency of this DAC+HP combination.

When I hear to warm sounding songs (some jazz, soul, some house, etc) the headache starts to go down, but when I go to some classical, or rock, where the highs are emphasized I start to get a headache.    As a metaphor, I feel like I'm battling with a untamed horse :))  

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #1,079 of 15,268
  Thank you CoiL, I did read in a thread here that someone had the x2 with the fiio e10k and it indeed sounded to bright for his ears, but his girlfriend liked the sound, so maybe I am to sensitive to the high frequency of this DAC+HP combination.

When I hear to warm sounding songs (some jazz, soul, some house, etc) the headache starts to go down, but when I go to some classical, or rock, where the highs are emphasized I start to get a headache.    As a metaphor, I feel like I'm battling with a untamed horse :))  

That was me =)

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,080 of 15,268
:))) That's cool. 

That was me =)

Haha, that's cool. I just won a Aune T1 on auction for 107pounds, I will return the fiio e10k and see the difference. I can't listen to the fiio with the highs to emphasized for my ears. I need something warmer.

Also, depleted, do you have any issues with the volume know on the fiio e10k? when I move the knob i can hear some crackling in the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back