Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,081 of 15,268
  :))) That's cool. 
Haha, that's cool. I just won a Aune T1 on auction for 107pounds, I will return the fiio e10k and see the difference. I can't listen to the fiio with the highs to emphasized for my ears. I need something warmer.

Also, depleted, do you have any issues with the volume know on the fiio e10k? when I move the knob i can hear some crackling in the headphones.

Well done, I think Aune T1 will pair well, taming a bit the highs. I had a little fatigue even unamped though (but I am sensitive as I said).

My E10K volume knob was smooth as hell, and no sound crackling at all when turning it. I know on the old E10 it was said after a while the knob started to crackle, but not when new. I think your unit may have some issues with the volume potentiometer, you can return it as defective IMHO.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,082 of 15,268
:))) That's cool. 
Haha, that's cool. I just won a Aune T1 on auction for 107pounds, I will return the fiio e10k and see the difference. I can't listen to the fiio with the highs to emphasized for my ears. I need something warmer.

Also, depleted, do you have any issues with the volume know on the fiio e10k? when I move the knob i can hear some crackling in the headphones.

For the issue with the volume knob: unplug the headphones and turn the volume knob fully up and down a couple of times. It usually does the trick.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,084 of 15,268
  I just won a Aune T1 on auction for 107pounds, I will return the fiio e10k and see the difference. I can't listen to the fiio with the highs to emphasized for my ears. I need something warmer.

Then don`t make fast judge on T1 with stock tube, definitely try it with Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe at least - smooth highs and great mids but depending on HP and tube condition can sound littlebit loose on bass department. But still one of the relatively cheap and widely available tubes to try out. For more tube recommendations read T1 thread :wink: If You have opportunity to try out Siemens E88CC goldpin then do it (there are at least 3 different versions), but it is expensive tube, especially those I have (grey shielded from 60`s). 

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,085 of 15,268
  Thank you Peter123, it seemed to work, but only for a couple of seconds, when I move the knob after a while it still has that crackling, 

Hm, I'm sorry to hear that. I get the same on my E12 sometimes and it has always solved it for me so I thought it might be worth a shot.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,086 of 15,268
Considering that I got the Aune with almost 30 ponds cheaper I will definitely look into some tubes, thank you for the suggestions.

Oh Jezz, I thought I finished my quest into DACs/AMPs, heapdhones but now I'm back in the game, looking for tubes :)))

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,088 of 15,268
  Then don`t make fast judge on T1 with stock tube, definitely try it with Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe at least - smooth highs and great mids but depending on HP and tube condition can sound littlebit loose on bass department. But still one of the relatively cheap and widely available tubes to try out. For more tube recommendations read T1 thread :wink: If You have opportunity to try out Siemens E88CC goldpin then do it (there are at least 3 different versions), but it is expensive tube, especially those I have (grey shielded from 60`s). 

CoiL, can you suggest a couple of budget tubes for me please? Also, if you come across any buying links, let me know. it seems you have more experience with that. Thank you.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,089 of 15,268
I think I will consider getting the Aune T1 and return the Fiio e10k. I feel like the fidelio x2 for some reason doesn't sound right to me with the fiio, its to harsh, like a knife straight into the ears and to distant.
I never had open back headphones before I have a Denon A-HD1100 and for me they sounded great but I needed something with bigger  soundstage, separation and clarity and I picked the Fidelio x2. 

I was wondering, with the closed back headphones: because the sound was not leaking anywhere, you usually can listen to them at  a lower volume and the sound would still be loud for your ears. I noticed that when I switched to the Fidelio x2, because the sound is open in the back, it needs more volume to hear them present in my ears and I can feel that they are very loud, I get ear fatigue, but still the sound is not forward in my ears, still distant, I hope you guys understand what I mean. 

Do you think the Aune T1 is better than then Fiio e10k for the Fidelio x2? 

I really like the T1 as a DAC but the amp side is sub par. Kind of tinny sounding and a little harsh regardless of which tube I used. If you find the e10 bright the t1 won't be much warmer at all regardless how many tubes you try.

As a DAC only T1 had better soundstage, more clarity and more 3d than the e10. As an amp/dac combo I'd take the e10. It sounded beefier and warmer than the T1. The T1 always had a brittle quality to the sound. But with the right amp T1 is great. I find it compliments my WA6 very nicely.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,090 of 15,268
I really like the T1 as a DAC but the amp side is sub par. Kind of tinny sounding and a little harsh regardless of which tube I used. If you find the e10 bright the t1 won't be much warmer at all regardless how many tubes you try.

As a DAC only T1 had better soundstage, more clarity and more 3d than the e10. As an amp/dac combo I'd take the e10. It sounded beefier and warmer than the T1. The T1 always had a brittle quality to the sound. But with the right amp T1 is great. I find it compliments my WA6 very nicely.

I'm no expert at all, but the Fidelio x2, being a 32ohm headphones, does it need amplification, or a better amp than the one on the T1? I thought that they don't necessarily need amping up.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,092 of 15,268
I'm no expert at all, but the Fidelio x2, being a 32ohm headphones, does it need amplification, or a better amp than the one on the T1? I thought that they don't necessarily need amping up.

I'm just saying the amp in the T1 is not good in my opinion. It doesn't matter which headphones I use. the T1 always has a bright and brittle characteristic. I've used SR225, SR325, D2000, D5000, he-4, AD2000X, SRH1540, LCD2, RS1, DT880, X1. Always the same result.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,093 of 15,268
  they sound great even unamped, you may try them like that first

I tried them unamped directly into my onboard sound card. The bass is tighter, and the highs are not that spiky, although the fiio e10k produces harsher highs and looser bass, its more detailed and the soundstage wider that onboard, its normal. But im returning the fiio e10k as bought the Aune T1 Mk2, I am curious how its sounds (getting some budget tubes aswell), also the fiio has a cracking noise when I play with the volume knob.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,094 of 15,268
I'm just saying the amp in the T1 is not good in my opinion. It doesn't matter which headphones I use. the T1 always has a bright and brittle characteristic. I've used SR225, SR325, D2000, D5000, he-4, AD2000X, SRH1540, LCD2, RS1, DT880, X1. Always the same result.

I understand. I will try and see what is the different when I get it, nothing to lose, I can sell the T1 after, if im not happy. It's always good to try different things personally, because everyone has a different hearing: damages, sensitivities,etc. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,095 of 15,268
Received my Schiit Modi(optical)and Magni today, to go with the X2 I got about a week ago. :D

First of all, this is my very first headphone and setup in this price range, so naturally when I first tried the X2 I've never heard such a good headphone before. When I first tried them on, I was also surprised how light and comfortable they felt. I'm very happy with the sound signature.

After plugging them into the Schiit stack, what I immediately noticed was that the noise I heard on some sources with onboard audio was now mostly gone. Apart from that I couldn't really tell any obvious differences (as opposed to slight) of the sound itself versus onboard audio, like I could going from my old headset to the X2. But maybe that's just because I haven't really had time to get used to the X2 sound with onboard.

I would certainly like to have more play on the volume pot though, when I set the volume to 20 in windows, the middle of the volume pot is about as loud as I can go. I wonder if getting a pair of attenuators for this purpose is a good idea. I was looking at these for that matter, they're the cheapest I could find here in Europe. Do you guys think these would be worth it, or would it be just as good if I'd constantly have windows volume on something like 5? Or could they even impact sound quality negatively?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back