Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 5, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,051 of 15,268
  Or just get a Mad Dog, which is significantly cheaper.

Or the Beats Pro, which has the best sq and hardest hitting bass in any headphone but remains neutral.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,052 of 15,268
  Or the Beats Pro, which has the best sq and hardest hitting bass in any headphone but remains neutral.

That sarcasm. 
biggrin.gif

I also have a Beats Pro (which is the reason behind my name...which also broke on me not too long ago 
blink.gif
), so cheers, brother!
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,053 of 15,268
  That sarcasm. 
biggrin.gif

I also have a Beats Pro (which is the reason behind my name...which also broke on me not too long ago 
blink.gif
), so cheers, brother!
beerchug.gif

What sarcasm?  In blind tests the Beats Pro has been proven to be 420% more dank than the Sennheiser Orpheus.
B34t5pr05lyf3!!!1

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,054 of 15,268
Please show us those blind tests? ...if it wasn`t another sarcasm.

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,058 of 15,268
Just wanted to chime in and say I've put roughly 30hours on these now and I love them! Also used them to play through the new Call of Duty game on Xbox One yesterday through a Yamaha receiver and they were fantastic there as well.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,059 of 15,268
I'm just working on breaking them in at this point. My initial thoughts are they are definitely warm sounding with solid bass, not over done but full sounding. Not a great match for the Aune T1 or probably tubes in general do to their warm signature. The cans are larger than I would have expected and clamping pressure is a bit tight for my liking. Overall I like them but will reserve a final judgement after a few weeks of letting them run in.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,060 of 15,268
  Not a great match for the Aune T1 or probably tubes in general do to their warm signature.

Get better tube (like 60`s Siemens E88CC goldpin grey shield o-getter) and do capacitor upgrade :wink:
I find my Fidelio X1 to be perfect match with my modified Aune T1. Just amazing how this setup sounds! ;P

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,062 of 15,268

The X2 is better. It's better than the HD650 in every area as well as bass.  The bass is warm, deep and controlled but not over blown i.e. similar to HD650 but better quality.

...maybe for you, but not necessarily everybody else.  Have you tried connecting the HD650 to a really nice source yet?

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,063 of 15,268

The X2 is better. It's better than the HD650 in every area as well as bass.  The bass is warm, deep and controlled but not over blown i.e. similar to HD650 but better quality.

...maybe for you, but not necessarily everybody else.  Have you tried connecting the HD650 to a really nice source yet?

I think You could ask this question about every headphone. Yes, X2 doesn`t need powerful amp like HD650 to shine but they also want proper "mating" with other gear. Main sound still comes from headphone itself and I think it only small portion comes from amping or dac matching. Of course, that little part may be crucial to get out best but overall impression still comes from headphone itself. I hope everybody understood what I`m talking about.

Edit: I pulled a poll about X2 @ MD - guys and girls... go and vote for it! Maybe we could get decent price offering (especially for US ppl).

And I don`t know if someone has seen it but german X2 review: http://kopfbox.de/testberichte/testbericht-der-philips-fidelio-x2/

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,064 of 15,268
For what I understood some drivers, based on their impedance, and their impedance variation across spectrum, may need particularly powerful amps to express their full potential, I mean, to sound like the engineers that designed them wanted to.

An example are HD600/650, or AKG K6**/K7**, where it's known that it's needed enough current (or voltage, can't remember) on the lower part of the spectrum because the impedance is higher there, and if the amp isn't powerful enough the bass will not be as it could be.

The Fidelio X2, like most low impedance/high sensivity headphones, perform almost to its full potential even without amp. In my case the E10K added detail and air to the highs, because it is more refined than my iPhone or Macbook, but it doesn't make it sound drastically better (to my sensible ears it becomes too sharp, ironically).

A tube amp may add some pleasant distortions to X2 sound, or an amp can be more precise and detailed than another, but the X2 will not sound that *much* different anyway, because it's not like those others can that *need* a powerful amp to perform as they should (even if they sound good enough or loud enough anyway).

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,065 of 15,268
Now, let me ask a question - how much (in %) makes up great matching amplifier (expensive) from HD600 or HD650 sound quality? If You think about it (at least I think this way), then X2 starts to "sound" even better option imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back