Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #1,021 of 15,268
I got mine on Sunday.

I really like how they sound, especially in their price class. Despite reading about gritty treble, I haven't encountered it much in practice. I think I hear what they mean (certain frequencies don't sound less smooth?), but it's been really rare in my experience. I'm not much of an audiophile; I just like listening to music a lot. Comfort is excellent; though they make my head feel kind of small (band feels like it floats above my head). Ultimately, I'm quite pleased with my purchase and and am pretty certain I'm done looking for headphone gear.

One question: I have an iBasso D7 Sidewinder as a source. Do I use the gain switch or not with these? It seems like the X2's like being pushed a bit with it, but there's plenty of room for the placebo effect here.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,023 of 15,268
  That`s what I suspected and it seems to be so. Some comments say that X2 cable on X1 sounds very good and once again "proves" that X1 main issue was/is high-impedance stock cable.
And if You add good matching amp & dac, result might be same as X2 or who knows, maybe even fraction better. Why I`m talking again about this is that X1 price just dropped littlebit and for those who don`t care about swappable pads (X1 pads are replaceable same way though), don`t have big head and going to use custom cable anyway (which is cheap to replace)... then X1 is a really great bargain!

About that "gritty" treble... I also don`t quite get it but to my ears X1 treble sounds clean, clear and smooth despite X1 also having lot of comments in this part. 
Maybe these ppl haven`t properly "burned-in" their cans or have mismatch with amp/dac? Who knows. 

Going by memory, the bass on the X2 is slightly tighter but less volume than my old X1 with low impedance custom cables.  I tried the same custom cable that I used for the X1 on my X2 and didn't hear any real difference between those custom cables and the stock X2 cable.  

Although a sample of one, I would say that there's more going on than just the difference a high impedance vs. low impedance cable between the X1 and X2.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,025 of 15,268
Originally Posted by s0ckpupp3t /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Although a sample of one, I would say that there's more going on than just the difference a high impedance vs. low impedance cable between the X1 and X2.

Certainly there`s more difference with X2 but like I told - additionally to exchanged cable, with good matching amp/dac I think it`s possible to get "same" tight bass & kick out of X1 :wink: But this is assumption of course. Just saying out loud my thoughts.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,027 of 15,268
Yeah like me! :) I just went with the X1 in the end. I think I would have preferred the X2 bass but it does have a relatively elevated treble compared to the X1, and I don't deal well with treble.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,028 of 15,268
Would you guys say these headphones goes better with O2 + ODAC or the Schiit stack? I'm on the fence with the O2 + ODAC combo because I've heard that it's better for low impedance, but I want some more opinions on this. Also getting my pair soon(tm) so I want to be prepared for these!

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,029 of 15,268
I tried them out on my iphone 5 and I dont have the issue with gritty treble anymore. However, when i use my PC the treble becomes bothersome after time. 

My only other complaint is that they don't have enough punch in the bass for my taste. I might have to look into some serious basshead headphones instead.

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #1,031 of 15,268
  I tried them out on my iphone 5 and I dont have the issue with gritty treble anymore. However, when i use my PC the treble becomes bothersome after time. 

My only other complaint is that they don't have enough punch in the bass for my taste. I might have to look into some serious basshead headphones instead.

I noticed this too with my iPhone 4S, the output is somewhat warmer

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,033 of 15,268
  So is the sound from the iphone preferable to that of an amp with these headphones?

No it's a matter of preference, without amp the sound is still great, but slightly less detailed, sharp and defined. In my case my E10K added airiness and treble presence. If you are sensitive to treble like me, this is bad, if not this is great because with an amp the treble is just more there

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #1,034 of 15,268

No it's a matter of preference, without amp the sound is still great, but slightly less detailed, sharp and defined. In my case my E10K added airiness and treble presence. If you are sensitive to treble like me, this is bad, if not this is great because with an amp the treble is just more there

So basically an amp with the X2 makes the sound different, but not necessarily better. I am new into this whole headphones thing and I feel a bit uncomfortable with the "need" for an amp. Not only because of the extra cost, but because there is one more thing on your desk or one more thing to carry / charge.

So to me is good news that the X1/X2 don't necessarily sound better with an amp.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #1,035 of 15,268

So basically an amp with the X2 makes the sound different, but not necessarily better. I am new into this whole headphones thing and I feel a bit uncomfortable with the "need" for an amp. Not only because of the extra cost, but because there is one more thing on your desk or one more thing to carry / charge.

So to me is good news that the X1/X2 don't necessarily sound better with an amp.

I'm new to this too and wanted to try, for cheap, with a FiiO. There is a difference but as I said it's not night and day, and to someone it may even not be the best. 

But X1/X2 are known to sound good even without amp, so definitely you don't need it to enjoy them =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back