Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 4, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #13,366 of 15,268
I've just dug mine out again after being drawn to Bluetooth ones for a while.....WOW...sound amazing still. I also love my Beyer DT770 too.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #13,367 of 15,268
I've just dug mine out again after being drawn to Bluetooth ones for a while.....WOW...sound amazing still. I also love my Beyer DT770 too.

Every time I dust off my X2s and listen again, the same thing happens:
  • I'm thinking (after hearing other, more $$ HPs), "These can't be as good as I remember
  • When the music starts, "ahhhh" (they are as good as I remember)

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #13,369 of 15,268
I bought the HD 660s and Audeze LCD2. Then returned both of them. Because it felt like my X2 where just on par with them or even better than the HD 660s. How can my $100 headphone be on par with a $500-$1000.

I wanted to upgrade but it felt like a downgrade because i didn't felt or heard the $400 or $900 increase of quality. Where did all that $$$$ went. So i will just stay loyal to my X2s for a while.

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #13,370 of 15,268
Iv'e done the exact same thing, buying much more expensive Headphones in the belief they would sound better.
The majority of the time they don't.

Gary

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #13,371 of 15,268
I just revisited my X2 and they do sound quite excellent. If they sold for $2500 more people would also find them excellent. According to the Delusional Headphone Hype Gospel, "No headphone can possibly sound great unless it costs more than $2000. Price determines sound quality".

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #13,372 of 15,268

I'd like to think this species breaks down into 2 separate groups:
  • Ursus Major leagues: Only the biggest, strongest bears make the cut. All-you-can-eat whole salmon buffets. Chartered planes only
  • Ursus Minor leagues: All the other bears can try out for this. Fresh garbage buffets. Bus & train only.
(I want to talk more about the X2s, but this took priority)

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #13,374 of 15,268
Hi from Portugal, also have the X2's for a few years now. Bought them from reading online. Was torn between these and Senn hd600 series. Blindly bought the X2's after having HD 598 as my first good headphone, these were ok but i felt that something was off and missing, they have good qualities but somehow are weird sounding The X2'S I was amazed by first, and they kept getting better and got even better after getting modi multibit and vali 2.

Recently got some some "urge" to upgrade, not because i dont like the x2 anymore but wanted something more. I tried advanced alpha, lcd2 classic, LCD X closed, stax l300. Well... The only ones that i could see buying was LCD X closed and, you get that good stuff from planar but also a dynamic and full sound.
All the others i felt like i was improving some areas but losing on others, and for me an upgrade must be a full one in every aspect of sound.

I ended up buying nothing because the LCD X is top expensive for me atm. But i was really impressed by them.

All in all from what i have tried it is hard to upgrade and not lose something from these Philips. And if they broke i would probably get another set of these, as i cant afford LCD X and i have yet to hear headphones as good as these for this money, at least for me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #13,376 of 15,268
I tried a modified sennheiser hd800 attached to a sennheiser hdv800. Both cost way too much compared to my schiitstack and X2. Ofcourse they sound very clear and detailed and THEY SHOULD SOUND GREAT for a price that almost cost $4000. For me $4000 cant still beat my $400 setup.

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #13,377 of 15,268
Can we start a petition for Philips to start work on an 'X3' please?!?...I pay kash!!!

Seriously though, does Philips still have any contacts within the headphone industry? Tell them, we need to see an 'X3' - I'd pay 500-1000 bucks if Philips were to go full TOTL on the Fidelio line!

Here's hoping.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #13,378 of 15,268
Since getting my Topping stack for Christmas, my X2's have become more entrenched as my favorite headphone. What was always a huge fun factor when listening became exponentially better. I baby my pair in hopes of never having to say goodbye. Maybe time for a backup pair while still available.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #13,379 of 15,268
Since getting my Topping stack for Christmas, my X2's have become more entrenched as my favorite headphone. What was always a huge fun factor when listening became exponentially better. I baby my pair in hopes of never having to say goodbye. Maybe time for a backup pair while still available.

My biggest fear is what will happen when the earpads wear out. I guess I’ll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #13,380 of 15,268
My biggest fear is what will happen when the earpads wear out. I guess I’ll cross that bridge when the time comes.
Bought mine October 2014 , and bought a set of extra pads that were recommended early in this thread. Can't remember the brand or where they currently are in my house, but will dig for them if ever needed. So far my original pads have held up quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back