Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 30, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #13,340 of 15,268
I agree with you but I don't want to mod the other side of the ear cup to make it truly balanced but I would like to change and upgrade the cable.

After Googling upgrade cable for the Fidelio x2hr I'm not seeing a lot of cables actually available there's a few on eBay but they're all from China which I don't want nothing from China I'm trying to find something in America I can't really find nothing.

I've enjoyed my X2s for 2+ years. The 1st thing I did upon receiving them was ditch the microphonic cable. Instead I went with an expensive but very good quality cable D05) by Ghent Audio: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

Because the input jack is 3.5mm and both ends of the D05 cable are 6.35mm, I just asked the very helpful owner, Ghent Xu, to change one end to 3.5mm. I ended up w/3 of these cables. They are very inexpensive ($17 for 2M), sound good, and behave better than the stock cable (zero microphonics).

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #13,341 of 15,268
Can I finally got to listen to my headphones I borrowed a topping nx4 these headphones sound very different than my beyerdynamic Dt 770.

Unlike the base but these headphones seem very bright very trebly like ear piercing treble. I do like the meds I like the vocals the base is very good I still think the bass on the 770's is better.

Maybe the app I'm using is just not a good match it seems like I need an amp that is going to sort of warm over things a bit like at a little touch of warmth is what I need now the app and the DAC that I listed I don't know if that is going to give me the warmth I'm looking for and they're not broken yet.

I did play Lady Gaga I'll Never Love Again from the movie the soundtrack and the vocals were Stellar stunning sounded beautiful the piano sounded beautiful it just seems like the highs on this headphone are a little too screechie for me.

That's only a 15-minute listen I have to go through different songs and give them some more time of course I do like them I'm not going to get rid of them I just think I need to find the right amp or yeah amp DAC combo to give me just a touch of warmth that I think they'd be beautiful.

I want to thank everybody for their suggestions on upgrading the cable I'm definitely going to do that this cable seems a little cheesy don't know if it'll actually improve the sound I doubt it I don't really believe in hundred $50 cables actually improving sound I think it's in people's heads that's just my opinion but I don't like the cable from definitely going to upgrade the cable and I want to thank everybody for their suggestions and if anybody has any idea what set up I could get the kind of warm this thing up or if the current one that I listed that I want to buy if that may do what I'm looking for.

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #13,343 of 15,268
This Thread seems pretty dead but of course these headphones have been out for a long time.

You know I wanted to give these every chance that I could so I did another listening session today for a couple of hours and I think what it is I like the bass but the mids seem recessed like setback and the vocal sound kind of warm like there's syrup on them or something they don't have like a sparkle to the vocals are sort of like almost like I don't know the proper terminology but I don't like the vocals on this headphone that's what I don't like it seems like I don't know how to put it into words but I listen to different songs over and over I love the bass like if there's a song with a lot of acoustic guitar I love the sound of the acoustic guitar but the vocals are not where I want them I really I don't know I don't think I could even get used to it.

Then I listen to my DT 770 s and I don't know the vocals on that or just sparkly there's just magic there i find their crisp and alive I don't find that on the Philips.

I mean there are things that I do like about them I don't hate them but I think for 275 bucks it's I prefer my DT 770 s better if I had to choose between them iI would keep my DT 770 s.

Maybe I need a different amp I know my previous post I put that I want something that would warm up the sound actually that's completely the opposite now that I've spent a lot of time listening to them I want something that's going to brighten it up not make it darker.

They are very comfortable they seem like you're built very well but I've decided that I am going to return them I've given them every possible chance I don't believe in headphones and speakers need time to break in 90 80 hours I don't believe that I've never noticed a difference between any of my headphones from the day I got them to six months later.

So I think I'm going to return them and I'm going to try a pair of Sennheiser HD 660s is going to be my next purchase.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #13,344 of 15,268
I can't say I hear the same thing on mines. Nothing wrong with the vocals on mines. Sometimes treble can be a little harsh, but nothing major, other than that no problem with lows and mids. There could be something wrong with your unit. Aletrnatively, check them with another amp.

I would return the headphones and get the from somewhere else, cheaper. I paid £149 for my X2 a few months ago (so $190). Remembering that everything in UK is more expensive than in US, I'm sure you can find them cheaper over there.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #13,345 of 15,268
This Thread seems pretty dead but of course these headphones have been out for a long time.

You know I wanted to give these every chance that I could so I did another listening session today for a couple of hours and I think what it is I like the bass but the mids seem recessed like setback and the vocal sound kind of warm like there's syrup on them or something they don't have like a sparkle to the vocals are sort of like almost like I don't know the proper terminology but I don't like the vocals on this headphone that's what I don't like it seems like I don't know how to put it into words but I listen to different songs over and over I love the bass like if there's a song with a lot of acoustic guitar I love the sound of the acoustic guitar but the vocals are not where I want them I really I don't know I don't think I could even get used to it.

Then I listen to my DT 770 s and I don't know the vocals on that or just sparkly there's just magic there i find their crisp and alive I don't find that on the Philips.

I mean there are things that I do like about them I don't hate them but I think for 275 bucks it's I prefer my DT 770 s better if I had to choose between them iI would keep my DT 770 s.

Maybe I need a different amp I know my previous post I put that I want something that would warm up the sound actually that's completely the opposite now that I've spent a lot of time listening to them I want something that's going to brighten it up not make it darker.

They are very comfortable they seem like you're built very well but I've decided that I am going to return them I've given them every possible chance I don't believe in headphones and speakers need time to break in 90 80 hours I don't believe that I've never noticed a difference between any of my headphones from the day I got them to six months later.

So I think I'm going to return them and I'm going to try a pair of Sennheiser HD 660s is going to be my next purchase.

I've yet to have a set of Senns that have that Beyer 'sparkly'-ness...

If you like the Beyer sound, why not move up their line?

Dec 2, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #13,346 of 15,268
I'm a try a different amp and see how they sound but I don't think it see him I think it's just the sound signature of this headphone.

My beyerdynamic 770 s are closed back headphone, but they almost sound like an open headphone not quite but they have a very good sound stage one of the best sound stages for a closed headphone on the market the Philips are open back and they bleed a lot maybe that's part of the sound that I don't like the Philips don't seem like they have like a big soundstage.

Yes there are other beyerdynamic that I could try I could try the 1990 it gets very good reviews pretty pricey headphone.

I tried to fill ups because I watched Z reviews and others in general this headphones it's very very good reviews just about anywhere you look and for 275 bucks it's a reasonable price that's why I bought them that's probably why anybody buy them.

I guess before I hundred percent give up I guess I should try another amp give it one last chance see if it makes any difference cuz there are things that I do like about the headphone so maybe an amp will make a difference.

If not I will try the beyerdynamic 1990s or I'm going to try the Sennheiser 660s .

The bad thing is there's just nowhere to just go plug them into another amp I'm going to have to order it online wait for it to come there's just no stores that sell amps which kind of sucks. Have to do the whole Amazon thing and wait for it to come.

I appreciate all your guys feedback I'll get another amp and I'll let you know what I think.

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #13,347 of 15,268
Not thinking an amp will make that much difference with the X2s based on my experience...

TBH, I like my X2s about the same out of my SS amps (iFi, Schiit, Cavalli Spark, Emotiva). To my ears, they don't seem to be 'amp picky'.

That said, I tend to listen to my Beyer cans out of my Valhalla 2 more than my SS amps; preferring the OTL tube sound with the Beyer 'sparkle'. If you like your Beyers with SS, then I'd say you definitely have no problem with their 'sparkle' :)

Regarding other cans --
I tend to be more of a value purchaser...so instead of spending $500+ on another set of cans, I'd probably consider the T90's for $205 or the DT-990's for $99...

Another set of cans worth considering instead of the HD660's is the HD-58X for $149

Just some options...heck, instead of the 1990s or 660s, you could get the T90's and pick up one of these for Schiit's and giggles :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #13,349 of 15,268
Guess what I'm keeping them. There growing on me.
I had a similar experience to yours with the X2s. They didn't sound quite right for my and it was bothering me bad. Until I bought the Aune B1 amp, then everything fell into place for me.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #13,350 of 15,268
Yeah I'm ordering a new amp right now I'm just playing them through my axon 7 phone which has a decent DAC inside of it and they sound pretty good but I'm going to get up about a ramp I had the topping nx4 which I didn't like.

I've been giving them some serious listening time some stuff to me sounds really fantastic on them but I am starting to notice that I think some of the highs are piercing to my ears are hurting my ears I don't feel like I can wear these headphone for a really long session not because they're not comfortable but I don't know I just feel like stuff with really high vocals or trouble symbols and stuff kind of hurt my ears with these headphones.

So I'm hoping maybe I can get an amp that might tone that down a little bit if not I could hook up a equalizer and play around with the sound the try to tone that down.

I'm definitely going to keep them and I'm going to keep my beyerdynamic 770 s I just got to find the right amp combination for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back