Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 27, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #12,811 of 15,268
I thoroughly investigated the X2 pad "swapability" when I first got my X2 a few months ago. The only way it's gonna happen is if the old pad is torn free from the plastic "mounting frame", and the new pad is re-glued in it's place. The back of the new pad will have to be trimmed with scissors (so they match the stock pad) and/or holes trimmed in the material to accommodate the 4 mounting posts in the plastic "mounting frame".

So bottom line is that it's definitely doable, but it's not a quick and easy procedure. And certainly not suitable for pad rolling, as the plastic "mounting frame" from the stock pads have to be reused.

You may be right in all this. If so, I would never attempt it. My X2s sound so good w/stock pads, there's just no need IMHO.

What makes this so weird to me is that just a couple months ago I easily removed each of the earpads (still on its mounting frame, which readily uncoupled from the earcups) and was able to pad-roll w/a pair of maroon Brainwavz round pleathers by stretching the mounting flaps of each pad completely around the earcup's body. But today--no dice.

I'm ok with it, though. The stock sound is really good for me.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #12,812 of 15,268
You may be right in all this. If so, I would never attempt it. My X2s sound so good w/stock pads, there's just no need IMHO.

What makes this so weird to me is that just a couple months ago I easily removed each of the earpads (still on its mounting frame, which readily uncoupled from the earcups) and was able to pad-roll w/a pair of maroon Brainwavz round pleathers by stretching the mounting flaps of each pad completely around the earcup's body. But today--no dice.

I'm ok with it, though. The stock sound is really good for me.

I see - yeah, the "around the whole cup" method would probably work fine, and is a common method on a lot of cans that are not "pad rolling friendly" (such as fitting HM5 pads onto the Philips HP9500S, and just like the way Peter123 did his Brainwavz velours on the previous page).

I personally try and avoid the "around the whole cup" method whenever possible though. The ability for the pad to properly seal is often questionable (especially on the X2 which seems sensitive to the pad sealing to the cup). And there's always the question of what to do about the spot at the cable jack (trim the pads? scrunch the pad out of the way of the cable?) I think it just end up looking kinda ghetto even if its perfectly functional (as was raised on the previous page as well).

The method I outlined was intended for that "just like stock but using aftermarket pads" replacement.

The bottom line is that like you, I'm fine with the stock pads as-is. Down the road when the stock pads need replacement, I'll be more inclined to tear the stock pads apart and do destructive pad rolling. I'll cross that bridge when I get there (the X2 might be considered vintage by then LOL :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #12,813 of 15,268
I really got lost on the whole twist counter-clockwise part, but I have been drinking so bear with me:grinning:

Unless the mounts have been glued on to the earcups - like mine, it shouldn't take much more than a simple pry to get them off. Be warned however that people have ripped their earpads just checking to see if they are in fact glued on. Once the pads are off, your only option is to just do the whole earcup mount re @peter123 s pic. Tried it myself, worked fine. They only issue I could see with it is having the posts on the earcup poking you in the head if you're using a soft earpad - like the HM5s. I have no idea if there is an option to just get a mounting ring - like the 400i. (perhaps if somebody had a sacrificial pair they could get a 3d scan of the mounting rings - for the good of the empire - so others could get a 3d printed version)
I'm just reiterating the last couple posts of course, and in the end I'm also pretty happy with the stock pads

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #12,814 of 15,268
I really got lost on the whole twist counter-clockwise part, but I have been drinking so bear with me:grinning:

Unless the mounts have been glued on to the earcups - like mine, it shouldn't take much more than a simple pry to get them off. Be warned however that people have ripped their earpads just checking to see if they are in fact glued on. Once the pads are off, your only option is to just do the whole earcup mount re @peter123 s pic. Tried it myself, worked fine. They only issue I could see with it is having the posts on the earcup poking you in the head if you're using a soft earpad - like the HM5s. I have no idea if there is an option to just get a mounting ring - like the 400i. (perhaps if somebody had a sacrificial pair they could get a 3d scan of the mounting rings - for the good of the empire - so others could get a 3d printed version)
I'm just reiterating the last couple posts of course, and in the end I'm also pretty happy with the stock pads

"but I have been drinking so bear with me" HAHA! At least you have an excuse. For those of use who can't think straight, there is no excuse!

Yes, I'm aware that twisting the pads too vigorously might tear them...which would really upset me, since it's difficult if not impossible to find stock/mounted earpads by themselves.

Once I realized the pads couldn't be easily removed (as they were last time I did padrolling on these HPs), I just gave up & listened to the X2s w/stock pads. They sounded wonderful, as usual (sometimes it's better to just relax and "go w/the flow")

My only problem now is this new pair of Brainwavz round velours get added to the ever-growing pile of earpads I never seem to be able to use. But there are worse problems, aren't there?

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #12,815 of 15,268
My only problem now is this new pair of Brainwavz round velours get added to the ever-growing pile of earpads I never seem to be able to use. But there are worse problems, aren't there?

1st-world-problems.jpg

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #12,816 of 15,268
Guys, it has been quiet on here for a while - so I am going to say something that may be a little controversial!

I bought a second X2 (HD) as a back up when they were on the Amazon UK sale (a few months back), when Amazon seem to have sold off the remaining stock of the older seemingly discontinued (HD) model.

I definitely got the old (HD) model but if definitely sounds better than the first pair I got 4-5 months back.

Could it be that I got the newer version (HR) packaged with the old (HD) markings?

I am totally convinced that it sounds more lifelike, has more presence and the vocals a bit more forward (but still not in your face)!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #12,817 of 15,268
Guys, it has been quiet on here for a while - so I am going to say something that may be a little controversial!

I bought a second X2 (HD) as a back up when they were on the Amazon UK sale (a few months back), when Amazon seem to have sold off the remaining stock of the older seemingly discontinued (HD) model.

I definitely got the old (HD) model but if definitely sounds better than the first pair I got 4-5 months back.

Could it be that I got the newer version (HR) packaged with the old (HD) markings?

I am totally convinced that it sounds more lifelike, has more presence and the vocals a bit more forward (but still not in your face)!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this?

Well, the way you hear any headphone is totally personal. So whatever you are hearing, if you like it, my hat is off to you.

But on another level, as a long-time X2 lover (pre-HD), I'm not sure what to make over your (and other's) comments about sonic differences between the new "HD" version and the older/original version:
  • I love the sound of my X2s and wouldn't want a thing changes.
  • Sure, I know that some people hear distortion in the bass (maybe at volumes louder than I listen)--and the frequency charts actually show a rise above 8K. But I don't care...this is still a very enjoyable, satisfying headphone to listen to, day to day.
I'm trying to picture and X2 that's has more presence & is a little more forward. Not sure I'd like that. Then again, see my 1st sentence (ie, it's all personal taste). I'm very treble averse; that's just how I hear the world.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #12,818 of 15,268
^ An interesting read from you as usual!

If I put it this way to you, when I heard the different/better sound there was no going back for me.

I no longer have a back-up pair, I have passed my old pair on as a gift, that is how much I like the newer pair.

As I said, it is food for thought and controversial - indeed! :smile_phones:

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #12,819 of 15,268
^ An interesting read from you as usual!

If I put it this way to you, when I heard the different/better sound there was no going back for me.

I no longer have a back-up pair, I have passed my old pair on as a gift, that is how much I like the newer pair.

As I said, it is food for thought and controversial - indeed! :smile_phones:

Actually, you're making me really curious to hear the HD version.

I know how it works w/me & audio: if I heard the good things you hear, better than my current X2s--there would be no going back for me, either.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #12,820 of 15,268
Finally sorted the issue that I was having with my X2's which might be of interest to some.

I wasn't happy with the sound as it just didn't seem right. They also didn't feel right on my head as they slid around very easily when I moved and also I found that the gap between the hammock and the leather headband was way to much, at least an inch or more.

I had though that the issue with the sound had something to do with the pads as one of them is thicker than the other and I considered getting alternative pads but really didn't wan't to spend any more money on them especially as I wouldn't be 100% sure it make a difference.

Reading previsions comments here one poster said that the X2's have very much a left/right sound sig and another poster said if he pushed the cans tighter to his ears that he much preferred the sound that way. I found exactly the same thing. It was suggested that perhaps the open soundstage was not to this liking and preferred a more closed in sound but I suspected rather something is not right here.

Anyway I sorted all this out. The problem was not the pads but that the headband was not shaped correctly. It had a U shape and I bent it so it has a C shape. This fixed everything. Now no longer are they sliding around on my head as they feel nice and snug, the gap between the hammock and the leather headband is reduced to hardly a centimetre and best of all the issue with the sound field is fixed and sounding how they should sound.

Some had said theirs were too tight but it would seem my problem was the direct opposite. The way I bent them was to hold the bottom of the cups to my chest and pushed down from the top towards myself. I think this is the best way to do it rather than trying to bend them at specific points above the cups so that the increased curvature throughout the band is more even distributed.

Only problem now is I can't seem to take them off my head !

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #12,821 of 15,268
Finally sorted the issue that I was having with my X2's which might be of interest to some.

I wasn't happy with the sound as it just didn't seem right. They also didn't feel right on my head as they slid around very easily when I moved and also I found that the gap between the hammock and the leather headband was way to much, at least an inch or more.

I had though that the issue with the sound had something to do with the pads as one of them is thicker than the other and I considered getting alternative pads but really didn't wan't to spend any more money on them especially as I wouldn't be 100% sure it make a difference.

Reading previsions comments here one poster said that the X2's have very much a left/right sound sig and another poster said if he pushed the cans tighter to his ears that he much preferred the sound that way. I found exactly the same thing. It was suggested that perhaps the open soundstage was not to this liking and preferred a more closed in sound but I suspected rather something is not right here.

Anyway I sorted all this out. The problem was not the pads but that the headband was not shaped correctly. It had a U shape and I bent it so it has a C shape. This fixed everything. Now no longer are they sliding around on my head as they feel nice and snug, the gap between the hammock and the leather headband is reduced to hardly a centimetre and best of all the issue with the sound field is fixed and sounding how they should sound.

Some had said theirs were too tight but it would seem my problem was the direct opposite. The way I bent them was to hold the bottom of the cups to my chest and pushed down from the top towards myself. I think this is the best way to do it rather than trying to bend them at specific points above the cups so that the increased curvature throughout the band is more even distributed.

Only problem now is I can't seem to take them off my head !

Congratulations on tracking down the source of your sonic issues w/the X2s.

They truly are the most enjoyable/satisfying headphones around--better in every way than their cost (& measurements) would suggest.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #12,822 of 15,268
I use shortly the fidelio x2 hd on my la figario 339 and I must say that I am very pleasantly surprised about the sound quality of this combination.
For this the K701 among others used to great satisfaction but this is a completely different experience, demension in noise production which as very open and balanced.
The dynamics and precision that these headphones are capable of is really unbelievable.
And that via a tube amplifier that would actually perform better with high-resolution headphones.

Greetings from Holland

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #12,823 of 15,268
very interesting...the Figaro 339 interests me a lot.

your experience illustrates something I've experienced: combining a "warm" amp + a "warm" headphone like the X2s doesn't necessarily result in oversweet, soupy sound. Quite the contrary: the best sound I ever got on my X2s was with the Liquid Carbon, a warm (& excellent) SS design.

sometimes you have to "follow your ears" and ignore predictions...

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #12,824 of 15,268
I use shortly the fidelio x2 hd on my la figario 339 and I must say that I am very pleasantly surprised about the sound quality of this combination.
For this the K701 among others used to great satisfaction but this is a completely different experience, demension in noise production which as very open and balanced.
The dynamics and precision that these headphones are capable of is really unbelievable.
And that via a tube amplifier that would actually perform better with high-resolution headphones.

I have also placed this on another tropic.
I can not find anywhere how one thinks about the combination of philips fidelio x2 with de la figaro 339.
Are there forum members who have or tried this combination and maybe they want to share this experience with a la figaro 339.
The philips fidelio x2 is very much appreciated in Europe but not as familiar as the AKG K 7xx series and the Senheiser cd 600/650

Greetings from Holland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back