Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #12,841 of 15,268
That's hard to understand. My experience has been the exact opposite of yours:
  • Was OK w/stock X2 cable, but became curious about better sound
  • Ordered a 2M D08 cable from Ghent Audio (4N-OFC). It sounded fine, better than stock cable. But the cloth cable-wrap was microphonic if I moved the cable
  • So I ordered several 2M DO5 cables (Canare L-4E6S/6.35mm-to-6.35mm). Asked Ghent Xu to change one end to 3.5mm (to insert in X2's earcup)
  • D05 cable is perfect: zero microphonics, sounds just as good as D08, maybe better; definitely better than stock.

I'm listening to the X2s right now w/that D05/Canare L-4E6S cable. It sounds great.

After a lot of listening between the stock cable and the Canare L-4E6S cable I could not get used to the deviant sound until I once went to ecpirenate with other thubes in my la figaro 339.
That was a golden move.
the balance between low middle and high with nice soundstage was the result of the other tubes.
Maybe there is more improvement possible with other combination tubes but for now I am satisfied again.
It was therefore not the cabel but the combination of tubeamp - tubes - cable and headphone together.:):)

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #12,842 of 15,268
Glad this issue seems to be worked out.

By the way, I'm having an envy attack, reading that you have your X2s on a Figaro 339...I want that amp!

Seriously, I don't have room for this great amp on my desktop. But I'm seriously considering either a Darkvoice 336SE or Woo WA3--mainly for new ZMF Atticus, also just to hear tubes through my various headphones.

(tubes sound like heaven)

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #12,843 of 15,268
Glad this issue seems to be worked out.

By the way, I'm having an envy attack, reading that you have your X2s on a Figaro 339...I want that amp!

Seriously, I don't have room for this great amp on my desktop. But I'm seriously considering either a Darkvoice 336SE or Woo WA3--mainly for new ZMF Atticus, also just to hear tubes through my various headphones.

(tubes sound like heaven)

Yes. I am now as happy as a child who can make the sound optimal by simply placing other tubes.
a tube amp reproduces sound in such a way.
it is in some way different from solid state.
De la figaro 339 gives a huge amount of power at its low inpendance and you notice that very well.
The 336 is smaller and also gives enough power for the X2 and is relatively cheap for the quality you get.
Via "massdrop" these are also sharply praised.
Which headphones do you own when I can ask.

Greetings Peter

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #12,844 of 15,268
The X2s, of course (my 1st really good "keeper" headphone)

+ ZMF Ori (wonderful headphone, also very handsome)

+ ZMF Atticus (brand-new, still burning in...very handsome closed back)

+ Marantz MPH-2 (inexpensive Chinese closed-back design...sounds very good, far better than price suggests)

+ E-Mu Teak (F.S. here...really excellent sound, but comfort not so good)

+ Sony MDR Z7 (F.S. here...very good all-around closed back)

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #12,845 of 15,268
The X2s, of course (my 1st really good "keeper" headphone)

+ ZMF Ori (wonderful headphone, also very handsome)

+ ZMF Atticus (brand-new, still burning in...very handsome closed back)

+ Marantz MPH-2 (inexpensive Chinese closed-back design...sounds very good, far better than price suggests)

+ E-Mu Teak (F.S. here...really excellent sound, but comfort not so good)

+ Sony MDR Z7 (F.S. here...very good all-around closed back)

Hello,

This is an intriguing collection of headphones in a wide range I can say.
The sony I have ever listened to and was positively surprised but unfortunately can not remember how it sounds compared to the x2.
Some of these headphones will definitely give the utmost with a good headphone amp.
In Europe, especially the Senheiser and Byerdynamic headphones are very popular.
Especially the HD 800 from senheiser and the T1 from Beyerdynamic (1100 $) headphones !!
I listened to the HD 800 and was not really impressed, I have to say.
The X2 has more to offer for the money paid.
I absolutely love the more or less colored sound of the X2.
It would be best to use a solid state and thube amp side by side for the ultimate experience of listening.

Greetings from Holland

Peter

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #12,846 of 15,268
I really need to get rid of the harshness/grating/peak whatever it is called that is hurting my ears. I don't want to return them since i love everything about the X2's except the offensive peaking for my ears. I've played with the EQ a bit to see the problematic frequency and it was 4-5khz.

I've looked at the amps you suggested and 350$+shipping+tax is a bit too much for me considering the price of X2's. Also checked out ifi nano idsd bl, seems to be a good deal at 200$ fits better to my budget. However i don't know if it will help with the grating.

Do you think the grating can be fixed with amp or dac/amp or should i return it? Is there even a thing like an amp with EQ, not ruining the sound? or should i go for tubes if that helps?

edit: mine are X2HR's btw but i read that it should be the same

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #12,847 of 15,268
I really need to get rid of the harshness/grating/peak whatever it is called that is hurting my ears. I don't want to return them since i love everything about the X2's except the offensive peaking for my ears. I've played with the EQ a bit to see the problematic frequency and it was 4-5khz.

I've looked at the amps you suggested and 350$+shipping+tax is a bit too much for me considering the price of X2's. Also checked out ifi nano idsd bl, seems to be a good deal at 200$ fits better to my budget. However i don't know if it will help with the grating.

Do you think the grating can be fixed with amp or dac/amp or should i return it? Is there even a thing like an amp with EQ, not ruining the sound? or should i go for tubes if that helps?

I can't even relate to this grating sound you describe--my X2s sound amazingly good.

But your post reminds me of previous posts here, weeks or months ago--a couple of people hearing weird distortion in X2s, usually just 1 channel. Some very enterprising Head-Fier responded that a few X2s ship w/wrinkled driver(s)....and suggested a way to flatten the driver, restoring stock sound.

I'm on deadline right now & can't track that down, but I know it happened. If you look back, you may find what I'm referring to, and perhaps it can help.

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #12,848 of 15,268

I have the X2HR's and I was trying to replicate the issue you're having with your X2's. I hear the grating you are speaking of when I plug my X2HR's directly into my iPad Pro. The X2HR's become really bright sounding. I'm not sure what frequency region it is but it's there. I next plugged my X2HR's into my iDSD BL and the treble harness is not there. It's a much smoother and musical headphone. So I believe it's the iPad headphone output that's causing the grating issue and it's solved with the use an external amp. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it but using the iPad headphone output doesn't work well with the X2HR's.

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #12,850 of 15,268
Yes. I am now as happy as a child who can make the sound optimal by simply placing other tubes.
a tube amp reproduces sound in such a way.
it is in some way different from solid state.
De la figaro 339 gives a huge amount of power at its low inpendance and you notice that very well.
The 336 is smaller and also gives enough power for the X2 and is relatively cheap for the quality you get.
Via "massdrop" these are also sharply praised.
Which headphones do you own when I can ask.

Greetings Peter

What's your source now?

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #12,852 of 15,268
Dec 19, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #12,854 of 15,268
Ok, I get it.
I listen through my Denon DVD A1 CDs and can also use this as an excellent DAC for my HTPC on which I have a lot of music and such.

Ok, I don't understand as it doesn't seem ti have a headphones output??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back