Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 14, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #10,637 of 15,268
  i don't know but it's really so for me !

You can't give up! You have to be strong! The X2 is too amazing to leave behind!
angry_face.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #10,638 of 15,268
how's the qc issues on the x2 now? if i ordered one would i be ok? im ok with glued on ear pads, but are the metal trimming parts still peeling off?

also how is the comfort compared to hd 650?  i love the hd650 BUT i hate how it is shaped and the bottom end of it pokes into my jaw bone joints in such a way that it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable, and im hoping the x2 will be more comfortable cus memory foam and circle shape.  - heh, not the first time a "superior german engineering" purchase turned out to be crap i found something better from the japanese...

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #10,639 of 15,268
ALSO, is the sound signature neutral+warm or is it more V shaped? im very sensitive to treble, so are these harsh at all? otherwise what would you recommend as a neutral+warm alternative to the HD650 that has memory foam pads?

also did you guys test your x2 with this youtube video to see the channel balance and left/right bass response?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNnxsiT9ZA 

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #10,640 of 15,268
  how's the qc issues on the x2 now? if i ordered one would i be ok? im ok with glued on ear pads, but are the metal trimming parts still peeling off?

also how is the comfort compared to hd 650?  i love the hd650 BUT i hate how it is shaped and the bottom end of it pokes into my jaw bone joints in such a way that it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable, and im hoping the x2 will be more comfortable cus memory foam and circle shape.  - heh, not the first time a "superior german engineering" purchase turned out to be crap i found something better from the japanese...

I JUST got a pair of HD600 yesterday, and while I don't have the jawbone problems you mention, the comfort level of the 2 headphones are quite similar to me.....which is to say, very good :) I do feel the HD600 pad on my jawbone now that you mention it, but wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't brought it to my attention.

I have the newer Gibson variant of X2 from the most recent Massdrop batch. While the pads are comfortable enough to me, they're NOT the same memory foam as in my K7XX. So while you shouldn't expect memory foam, you're correct in your assumption that the bottom of the pads should sit what feels like 1/2" - 3/4" further up your face and uncover your jawbone.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #10,641 of 15,268
  ALSO, is the sound signature neutral+warm or is it more V shaped? im very sensitive to treble, so are these harsh at all? otherwise what would you recommend as a neutral+warm alternative to the HD650 that has memory foam pads?

also did you guys test your x2 with this youtube video to see the channel balance and left/right bass response?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNnxsiT9ZA 

X2 is generally considered V-shaped, I believe. I'm fairly new to this, so I'm no audiophile yet! I'm still just some guy feeling around.

Can't compare to HD650, but compared to HD600, there's a quite large increase in bass volume. Mids are pulled back, but I don't notice them as feeling thin or constrained...I just notice them brought forward by K7XX and HD600. X2 highs WILL get harsh, but generally only at or near the limits of their power handling. I think of it like the built-in understeer on most cars.....when your car starts pushing to the outside of the corner, that's a sign you're at the grip limit and should back off slightly.

X2 is more power efficient, but not by the wide margin I'd expected. My normal listening volume is at about 25% volume with X2 (Magni 2 Uber, Low gain). With K7XX, it goes up to 40% volume. HD600, about 50%. *edit* My HD600 are barely a day old, and likely not burned in enough yet.....my impressions may change with more hours on them, or may not heh.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #10,642 of 15,268
Just to add my two cents on comfort.
I do think X2 is very comfortable. It is also reasonably light.
I find HD600 a little more comfortable and lighter, but X2 is very close.
Also X2 can be adjusted a little bit comfort-wise by bending the headband (basically you adjust how much of the weight is on the top of your head or around your ears).
I can hardly imagine anyone to find HD6*0 or X2 heavy or uncomfortable, but all heads are different I guess.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #10,643 of 15,268
  X2 is generally considered V-shaped, I believe. I'm fairly new to this, so I'm no audiophile yet! I'm still just some guy feeling around.

Can't compare to HD650, but compared to HD600, there's a quite large increase in bass volume. Mids are pulled back, but I don't notice them as feeling thin or constrained...I just notice them brought forward by K7XX and HD600. X2 highs WILL get harsh, but generally only at or near the limits of their power handling. I think of it like the built-in understeer on most cars.....when your car starts pushing to the outside of the corner, that's a sign you're at the grip limit and should back off slightly.

X2 is more power efficient, but not by the wide margin I'd expected. My normal listening volume is at about 25% volume with X2 (Magni 2 Uber, Low gain). With K7XX, it goes up to 40% volume. HD600, about 50%.

X2 being V-shaped is a misconception.
It is far from neutral, but not V-shaped.
Slightly recessed mids (compared to HD600), slightly emphasized bass (compared to almost any other open-back headphone) and average/quite ok highs (not harsh by all means). This is not V-shape, just not neutral. M50X is V-shaped.
X2 also changes character with higher-end DACs (for good), which is a very interesting fact, as it is just 32 ohms.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #10,644 of 15,268

X2 being V-shaped is a misconception.
It is far from neutral, but not V-shaped.
Slightly recessed mids (compared to HD600), slightly emphasized bass (compared to almost any other open-back headphone) and average/quite ok highs (not harsh by all means). This is not V-shape, just not neutral. M50X is V-shaped.
X2 also changes character with higher-end DACs (for good), which is a very interesting fact, as it is just 32 ohms.

Thanks for clearing that up! Still not sorted out with these audiophile terms, I need to go back to the Welcome section and brush up on the terminologies to convey what I'm hearing LOL.

I should note that the rare (edit: treble) harshness I've heard may be related to only certain tracks.........as I don't generally push them very loud except for single-song rock out sessions :p

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #10,645 of 15,268
  Thanks for clearing that up! Still not sorted out with these audiophile terms, I need to go back to the Welcome section and brush up on the terminologies to convey what I'm hearing LOL.

I should note that the rare (edit: treble) harshness I've heard may be related to only certain tracks.........as I don't generally push them very loud except for single-song rock out sessions :p

no worries, pretty much everybody, including "audiophile experts" have told me that the x2s were V shaped, so I don't think you said anything wrong.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #10,646 of 15,268
I don't quite understand complaints about headphone weight. I understand COMFORT issues of course. And I have never worn full size headphones for more than a couple hours I guess. But headphones being so heavy that one's neck gets tired, or needs a headrest - I dunno. Do people have huge heads that wave around in the breeze?

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #10,647 of 15,268

Do not worry too much about audiophile terms.
Everyone use them according to their own liking. It is just a 'more or less' direction of what people mean.

Harsh treble with X2 can also be caused by certain amp or source. (Or certain tracks as you say.)
I am quite sensitive for harsh treble, but X2 never gave me hard time with that neither with Mojo, nor with Micro iCan.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #10,648 of 15,268
  no worries, pretty much everybody, including "audiophile experts" have told me that the x2s were V shaped, so I don't think you said anything wrong.

Yeah, I feel like it's a semantic argument. Boosted lows and highs (with, naturally, a recessed mid) is commonly referred to as a mid-scoop. Whether or not that is drastic enough of a sound signature to qualify as V-shaped is a matter of degrees. One could say its slightly V-shaped with a larger bass emphasis (which one could argue isn't a "V" but then again how many phones tune the lows and highs to the exact same amount?) and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #10,649 of 15,268

People just like parroting things.

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #10,650 of 15,268
  Yeah, I feel like it's a semantic argument. Boosted lows and highs (with, naturally, a recessed mid) is commonly referred to as a mid-scoop. Whether or not that is drastic enough of a sound signature to qualify as V-shaped is a matter of degrees. One could say its slightly V-shaped with a larger bass emphasis (which one could argue isn't a "V" but then again how many phones tune the lows and highs to the exact same amount?) and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong. 

All these terminology and opinions are extremely subjective. Audio world is like tasting food.
One likes this, and argues for it to be the best and the way to go, others with a different taste argue for other 'flavors'.
There is no such thing as ultimate truth, just many subjective truths.
So instead of convincing each other we should just accept the differences and find what is common.
The love of quality music listening experience.

People just like parroting things.

Very true my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back