Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #10,651 of 15,268
  All these terminology and opinions are extremely subjective. Audio world is like tasting food.
One likes this, and argues for it to be the best and the way to go, others with a different taste argue for other 'flavors'.
There is no such thing as ultimate truth, just many subjective truths.
So instead of convincing each other we should just accept the differences and find what is common.
The love of quality music listening experience.

Very true my friend.

Right. It's all subjective. Which is precisely why I don't get it when people say its definitively not V-shaped. The description is a matter of degrees, unless somehow the extreme tuning is inherent to a "V-shape" or if the whole premise is that there is no treble boost to the X2s.  Which I have some trouble believing.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #10,652 of 15,268
  Right. It's all subjective. Which is precisely why I don't get it when people say its definitively not V-shaped. The description is a matter of degrees, unless somehow the extreme tuning is inherent to a "V-shape" or if the whole premise is that there is no treble boost to the X2s.  Which I have some trouble believing.

X2 is definitely a much darker headphone than HD600. What is that treble boost people are talking about? Bass boost - yeah, but treble?

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #10,653 of 15,268

X2 is definitely a much darker headphone than HD600. What is that treble boost people are talking about? Bass boost - yeah, but treble?

Agreed. Bass boost maybe. Darker sounding? Yes. But that is a positive in my dictionary.
But where is the treble boost to say it is V-shaped?
I hear a rounded down and smooth treble.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #10,654 of 15,268
Can someone post their equalizer settings for x2 to make it more alive in highs. i have been trying with graphic eq on foobar but can't get the settings right. for reference i like the tuning of my hd 598's in mids and highs.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #10,655 of 15,268
  Can someone post their equalizer settings for x2 to make it more alive in highs. i have been trying with graphic eq on foobar but can't get the settings right. for reference i like the tuning of my hd 598's in mids and highs.

See, just as we talked about it, there's someone not happy about X2 being too dark in the highs. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #10,658 of 15,268
There's a 8 Khz peak... I think to give more crispness to instruments. I'm not sensitive to that area so it doesn't bother me but apparently it bothers some people. I'm more sensitive to upper mid /lower treble peaks (2-5 khz and 5-7 khz respectively). Upper mid peaks cause sibilance and lower treble peaks (like on HD800) cause ear fatigue...

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #10,659 of 15,268
I wonder what tube/SS amp works great with the x2? I have been pairing the x2 with my fiio X5 but I want something more sophisticated and would like to move beyond the fiio portable products.

I'm very new to amps and I haven't had any experience with tubes but they intrigue me. I don't want to spend more on amps than the headphones themselves so I would like the keep the budget at about 200-ish or lower. I also plan to make a purchase for the HD650 in the future and I know I will certainly need an amp for it. While I will DIY the crack once I get my hands into the HD650, I don't mind spending a little bit more to invest on an amp that would perform well on both the x2 and HD650, if something like that exists.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #10,660 of 15,268
@LimeCoke 

Looked at the Schiit Vali 2? Seems like one of the better options if you want get into tubes without spending too much money. I was actually going to order one(to use with the X2s and T50RP MK3s), but settled for a Magni 2 because the only supplier of Schiit products in my country doesn't sell the Vali yet.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #10,661 of 15,268
  I wonder what tube/SS amp works great with the x2? I have been pairing the x2 with my fiio X5 but I want something more sophisticated and would like to move beyond the fiio portable products.

I'm very new to amps and I haven't had any experience with tubes but they intrigue me. I don't want to spend more on amps than the headphones themselves so I would like the keep the budget at about 200-ish or lower. I also plan to make a purchase for the HD650 in the future and I know I will certainly need an amp for it. While I will DIY the crack once I get my hands into the HD650, I don't mind spending a little bit more to invest on an amp that would perform well on both the x2 and HD650, if something like that exists.

I think you answered your own question with the bottlehead crack, If you're willing to go the diy route.  Perhaps look to get into that a little bit sooner, and upgrade with the speedball once you get your hd650s.  I know somebody with that very combo and they are more than happy to stick at that level.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #10,662 of 15,268
  I don't mind spending a little bit more to invest on an amp that would perform well on both the x2 and HD650, if something like that exists.

I would go full solid-state or hybrid in that case. Vali 2 is a good example. Or Asgard 2... OTL tube amps are sub-optimal for low impedance headphones.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #10,663 of 15,268

I personally love the Valhalla 2 with both headphones, which brought out a big improvement in the low end and soundstage over the Vali 2. I rolled various tubes (Amperex, Mullard, EH6cg7, etc.) with the Vali 2. That's not to say Vali 2 isn't a performer. Its amazing for the price, and you get to roll tubes for half the price. But, it really didn't do much for the HD650 for me. The HD650 became a completely different can when paired with the Valhalla 2. The Valhalla really opened up the HD650 for me. If you get lucky you might find the Valhalla used under $300.

Anyways, it's best to demo amps for yourself. I'm sure bottlehead will be amazing with the HD650. At least with Schiit products you can return them within 15days. There is a 5% transaction fee, but I think its a fair price to demo products. And if you like it, no need for returns.

Fyi, I also have the Asgard 2. But I just prefer the sense of depth and space the Valhalla 2 provides with the X2 over the Asgard 2. The Asgard definitely has a cleaner sound. I guess I enjoy the distortion of the X2 and Valhalla 2 pair
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #10,664 of 15,268

I personally love the Valhalla 2 with both headphones, which brought out a big improvement in the low end and soundstage over the Vali 2. I rolled various tubes (Amperex, Mullard, EH6cg7, etc.) with the Vali 2. That's not to say Vali 2 isn't a performer. Its amazing for the price, and you get to roll tubes for half the price. But, it really didn't do much for the HD650 for me. The HD650 became a completely different can when paired with the Valhalla 2. The Valhalla really opened up the HD650 for me. If you get lucky you might find the Valhalla used under $300.

Anyways, it's best to demo amps for yourself. I'm sure bottlehead will be amazing with the HD650. At least with Schiit products you can return them within 15days. There is a 5% transaction fee, but I think its a fair price to demo products. And if you like it, no need for returns.

Fyi, I also have the Asgard 2. But I just prefer the sense of depth and space the Valhalla 2 provides with the X2 over the Asgard 2. The Asgard definitely has a cleaner sound. I guess I enjoy the distortion of the X2 and Valhalla 2 pair
tongue.gif

Your comment makes me want to try Asgard 2 and  Valhalla 2.

(Not to mention Bottlehead Crack with HD600 or 650.)

Mojo is pretty amazing to me with anything I tried so far.
But the Senns with BHC seem to be a timeless combo. And that makes me curious.

So many combo to try, I could spend £20.000 right now just to check the different combos to my liking.
It is a shame this is almost my yearly salary. :D

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #10,665 of 15,268
  Your comment makes me want to try Asgard 2 and  Valhalla 2.

(Not to mention Bottlehead Crack with HD600 or 650.)

Mojo is pretty amazing to me with anything I tried so far.
But the Senns with BHC seem to be a timeless combo. And that makes me curious.

So many combo to try, I could spend £20.000 right now just to check the different combos to my liking.
It is a shame this is almost my yearly salary. :D

Sorry if I made the decision harder for you
tongue.gif

Well, if you do get both the bottlehead and Valhalla 2 a comparison will be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back