Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 16, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #10,666 of 15,268

I personally love the Valhalla 2 with both headphones, which brought out a big improvement in the low end and soundstage over the Vali 2. I rolled various tubes (Amperex, Mullard, EH6cg7, etc.) with the Vali 2. That's not to say Vali 2 isn't a performer. Its amazing for the price, and you get to roll tubes for half the price. But, it really didn't do much for the HD650 for me. The HD650 became a completely different can when paired with the Valhalla 2. The Valhalla really opened up the HD650 for me. If you get lucky you might find the Valhalla used under $300.

Anyways, it's best to demo amps for yourself. I'm sure bottlehead will be amazing with the HD650. At least with Schiit products you can return them within 15days. There is a 5% transaction fee, but I think its a fair price to demo products. And if you like it, no need for returns.

Fyi, I also have the Asgard 2. But I just prefer the sense of depth and space the Valhalla 2 provides with the X2 over the Asgard 2. The Asgard definitely has a cleaner sound. I guess I enjoy the distortion of the X2 and Valhalla 2 pair
tongue.gif

Thanks a lot for the help! Your suggestions have made it really interesting for me. Now there are lots of good options available for me to decide.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #10,667 of 15,268
In my experience adding a decent quality amp gives the low end more weight and evens out the highs so they don't appear as thin/sharp at a higher volume. This excludes the Oppo ha2 as this already adds too much sharpness due to the Sabre chip. I've had good results connecting the X2 to a Musical Fidelity Hpa and Chord Mojo.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #10,669 of 15,268
I also own he-500 and without changing my glasses to thin frames before a listening session I can't wear either X2 or He-500s for long periods without the headphones digging in too much above my ears to cause fatigue. Wearing glasses with super thin frames make a whole lot of difference to comfort.

Oh yes he500s make the x2s seem super comfortable and lightweight.

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #10,670 of 15,268
I also own he-500 and without changing my glasses to thin frames before a listening session I can't wear either X2 or He-500s for long periods without the headphones digging in too much above my ears to cause fatigue. Wearing glasses with super thin frames make a whole lot of difference to comfort.

Oh yes he500s make the x2s seem super comfortable and lightweight.
If you're picky about eyeglasses wearing comfort, won't you give Sony MDR MA900 a try?

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #10,671 of 15,268
I know a few on here including myself jumped on the massdrop purpleheart th-x00.  Well I decided to drop out.  Ive been looking into the e-mu teak (specifically rosewood) instead and I'm starting to think its a better option, visually and sonically.  Instead I'm going to wait and see how they improve that design with removable cables before investing in another basshead can. 

So I'm happily going to stick it out with the x2 for the foreseeable future 
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #10,672 of 15,268
  I know a few on here including myself jumped on the massdrop purpleheart th-x00.  Well I decided to drop out.  Ive been looking into the e-mu teak (specifically rosewood) instead and I'm starting to think its a better option, visually and sonically.  Instead I'm going to wait and see how they improve that design with removable cables before investing in another basshead can. 

So I'm happily going to stick it out with the x2 for the foreseeable future 
beerchug.gif

Smart move, I think. I read somewhere the removable cables will only add $25 to the price.

I also read that X00 uses TH600 drivers, while the E-MU uses TH900 drivers...........not sure I believe that, but wanted to throw that out for full disclosure.

I'm sticking with my Purpleheart preorder. Mostly for the brand recognition, I guess.....both promise to be beautiful cans!

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #10,673 of 15,268
It was a difficult choice, especially as I was in the first 200 to order. But I love, love the look of rosewood so I want to wait until either fostex or e-Mu come up with something special in that before I get my first pair of 'woodies'.

Good luck with winning the hd800 combo though!

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #10,674 of 15,268
It was a difficult choice, especially as I was in the first 200 to order. 

I've been in the first 100 probably, but am also out... too many headphones already and I think I slightly prefer the Mahogany look. So maybe in the next drop for these..

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #10,675 of 15,268
If you're picky about eyeglasses wearing comfort, won't you give Sony MDR MA900 a try?

hey again spi12er3! i saw you in the ma900 thread! i was actually looking at x2, but i also wear glasses and want something comfy as i find my 650hd too tight (uncomfortable/painful with and without glassses on) - and was looking at the ma900s.... i noticed you mention in the thread that the ma900 isnt very good though if you have a dac/amp? will it work good with a o2odac or an nfb-11 if i have the gain set to low? so if i found the 650hd too tight would i probably not like the ma900 too? in that case should i probably go with ma900?

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #10,676 of 15,268
hey again spi12er3! i saw you in the ma900 thread! i was actually looking at x2, but i also wear glasses and want something comfy as i find my 650hd too tight (uncomfortable/painful with and without glassses on) - and was looking at the ma900s.... i noticed you mention in the thread that the ma900 isnt very good though if you have a dac/amp? will it work good with a o2odac or an nfb-11 if i have the gain set to low? so if i found the 650hd too tight would i probably not like the ma900 too? in that case should i probably go with ma900?
oh, what I meant was MA900 sounds the same no matter what you do with the amplification, as It doesn't scale up well if you upgraded rigs. It gets very little (if not none at all) benefit from expensive amps, the positive is it'll sound great out of smartphone.
About clamping, I do have similar problem with glasses on my M40x, but the MA, Grado etc doesn't give me that, I've also demoed X2 and R70x, and I can stand at least 3 hours of wearing them (I think, relatively speaking as I can't really test that on demo room). I just love the weightlessness, ease of use and durability the MA series gives. Even their entry lvl serve me well for years.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #10,678 of 15,268
So,anyone here have the hd800 or have experienced it, how does it compare to my current headphones. X2,thxoo, hd600, he500, those 4 are my best hps. Should I upgrade, any advice would be much appreciated.

ive actually tried the hd800 and found the treble very fatiguing....though im pretty sensitive to treble, but ive heard lots of other people say they found it sharp as well....tbh i like my 650hd sound much more than the hd800, but my 650 is uncomfortable to me :frowning2: 

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #10,679 of 15,268
  ive actually tried the hd800 and found the treble very fatiguing....though im pretty sensitive to treble, but ive heard lots of other people say they found it sharp as well....tbh i like my 650hd sound much more than the hd800, but my 650 is uncomfortable to me :frowning2: 

Yes, I sold the HD800 because of the treble. I now own the HD800S and that has been fixed.

Compared to the X2 you're getting a more accurate/neutral sound. X2 has elevated bass. HD800S has exceptional clarity and imaging. I wouldn't consider it the upgrade to the X2 if you want a similar sound. I have the TH-X00 too and I think that and the HD800S are awesome complimentary headphones. I sold my X2 and K7XX in favour of these.

Depends on what you listen to of course, but they cover most bases for me.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #10,680 of 15,268
how big is the sound stage of the hd800 when compare to the x2, so I'll have a idea where its at. How much better is the hd800 when compare to the x2, so they have the similar sound interesting, is x2 half as good as the hd800, worth upgrading consider all the headphones I already have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back