Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 8, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #10,606 of 15,268
  Thought I'd share something, and I'm not sure *why* it's working...

I have an older woox pair and loved them out of an iPhone 5s ("warm air" is how I thought of it). But that phone died, and an iPhone 6s is just not delivering the same euphoria. Weird. 

I bought Massdrop's O2/ODAC and that helped, but what really did the trick was adding about 20' of ancient Radio Shack generic stereo extension cable between the O2 and X-2's.

Go figure. 

System synergy is a funny thing eh?.  On one of the grado threads on here, some owners are reporting that using the 6ft extension headphone cable tames out the treble - something to do with a slight increase in impedence.  Glad you're o2/odac is working out, it looks a real nice bit of kit.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #10,610 of 15,268
  Synergy is tricky, definitely. When you combine all the variables of amps, dac's, cables, file types, etc. with the inherent subjectivity of human hearing and personal preference, it's a wonder we're not all crazy. Or wait, maybe we are. 

The bigger half of mankind already defines us as crazy as we spend more than £2-3-5-8 hundreds for a headphone.
And then that is just a headphone.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #10,611 of 15,268
Hd600 are currently £191 on amazon.co.uk. wow!

So tempted at that price but cant afford to have another set lying around, esp after biting on the purplehearts. Still thought I would share for anyone looking for a neutral set of reference cans

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #10,612 of 15,268
Hd600 are currently £191 on amazon.co.uk. wow!

So tempted at that price but cant afford to have another set lying around, esp after biting on the purplehearts. Still thought I would share for anyone looking for a neutral set of reference cans

HD600 are awesome cans, especially if you are after neutrality and natural mids.
To make them sing though, you will need quite a high-end DAC/amp.
Yes, they can sound ok from mid-fi equipment, but HD600/650 are the cans that scale the best.
80% of the sq of HD600 is the DAC/amp you feed it with.

X2 however doesn't need expensive equipment.
Still sounds bad out of phone, and still benefits from DAC/amp, but a £2-400 DAC/amp will drive it to its full potential.
So it is much more cost efficient than having proper equipment to reach the full potential of HD600

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #10,613 of 15,268

HD600 are awesome cans, especially if you are after neutrality and natural mids.
To make them sing though, you will need quite a high-end DAC/amp.
Yes, they can sound ok from mid-fi equipment, but HD600/650 are the cans that scale the best.
80% of the sq of HD600 is the DAC/amp you feed it with.

X2 however doesn't need expensive equipment.
Still sounds bad out of phone, and still benefits from DAC/amp, but a £2-400 DAC/amp will drive it to its full potential.
So it is much more cost efficient than having proper equipment to reach the full potential of HD600

Aww man..

now you make me want them even more  :frowning2:(

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #10,614 of 15,268
I have to admit after listening to HD600 again, they are quite a lot better than X2 in mids department, especially with vocals, which sound quite recessed and muffled on X2 in comparison. I'm still keeping them for a lower fidelity music, heavy rock/metal and other stuff for sure. But will see what happens when TH-X00 arrives.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #10,615 of 15,268
Originally Posted by madwolfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to admit after listening to HD600 again, they are quite a lot better than X2 in mids department, especially with vocals, which sound quite recessed and muffled on X2 in comparison. I'm still keeping them for a lower fidelity music, heavy rock/metal and other stuff for sure. But will see what happens when TH-X00 arrives.

What a coincidence! I'm listening to lower fidelity music on my X2 and totally loving it! Not just loving it because it's low-fidelity music, mind you, haha.
I'm blasting my ears with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ6SJd9NgMs And I find the mids to be smooth and natural. I actually love the X2's mids!
Maybe I should try getting used to my Q701 again and see what I find.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #10,620 of 15,268
Really ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Plus-Velvet-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X2-Headphones-/261967950938?var=&hash=item3cfe81b45a:m:mhqNFY6naFCpRdw5CA1nG7w

So hard to search eBay is, young padawan....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back