Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 4, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #10,171 of 15,268
The Chord Mojo makes the X2 really wake up. I'd say the sound quality is so great that it would probably improve your listening experience with any pair of phones it can drive.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #10,173 of 15,268
Just plugged these badboys into a Musical Fidelity m1a + Hpa combo, blimey they pack a punch whilst being crystal clear.  I can honestly say I enjoy the X2's with trance music more than my He-500's using the same Dac and Amp.  

Musical Fidelity dac and amp + X2 = Great synergy

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #10,174 of 15,268

I just decided to bite the bullet and try the same thing. I ordered a pair of 9500s (new for $82)...a pair of X2s (used/very good for $160)...and a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s (refurbished for $140). I'm anticipating I'll keep the Sennys (especially for that price), and then thought I would test the Philips against each other. If I couldn't tell much of a difference, I'd keep the 9500s. If I could tell, I'd keep the X2s.

I got the 9500s first on Monday, and first reaction was "okay...not disappointing, but not worth the hype." I started a burn-in that night, then on Tuesday my new portable DAC showed up (Fiio Q1). With those two things, the 9500 started to sound a LOT better on day 2. I did use prefer the bass boost on almost every song. The headphones are incredibly comfortable, but they feel like they'll be prone to getting hot. Anyway, it felt like an acquired taste that I was really starting to appreciate.

But then the X2s showed up today.

As soon as I took them out of the box: "Holy poo, these are substantial/heavy compared to the 9500s." Next thing I did was check for which version I got, and appears I lucked out and scored Woox all the way. Even though it wasn't listed as Refurbished or Like New by AWD, it might as well have been -- it basically came packaged like I got it off the shelf.

Opened it up...plugged it in...and MAN, these things "won" within 20 seconds of the first track. Sound is so much more expansive, filled out and bottom-present. I actually prefer the bass boost off with these. I'm sitting here smiling, listening to every track. (and that smile gets even better when I realize I nabbed them for $160).

I give credit to Phillips for what they put together in a sub-$100 headphone in the 9500, but I'll be sending them back for the X2s. I think I'm just gonna get a short Sentey cord now, and maybe a case.

Bottom line: with Amazon's generous return policy, you might as well order several things and then send back what you don't want. Otherwise you'll suffer analysis by paralysis...

Yea first thing that caught my eye when i got my X1s/X2s was build quality. Glad you liked them and congrats on the Woox pair! I would actually recommend a Silver Plated OCC Copper cable for the X2s. I'm not one to believe in cable magic but id rather get a "good" cable over a cheapo one from bestbuy that costs a bit more for lower quality. Here is what im using and its relatively cheap. Plus side is it is 3.5mm so you can use them with other headphones with that common jack: 
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-5m-Silver-Plated-OCC-Upgrade-Talkback-Cable-for-Turtle-Beach-X11-DX11-PX21-X12-PX3/32231439982.html

Also, I would not take too great an advantage of that return policy, at least not with New items. I would only do it for items sold by AWD as they dont really care since they are already open boxed.

Lastly, there is a mod for the SHP9500 that is cheap, easy to do, and brings out phenomenal sound quality, although making them pretty ugly in the process. Heres a review of that mod by Zeos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET9TWgel7ec

Cheers

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #10,177 of 15,268

Would you mind posting pics of the two side by side? (stock and bass plus pads) I would very much appreciate it. If they are thicker and much softer I could probably live with not having the HM5 pads.

I really NEED thicker pads than stock. The hm5 are amazing after I got used to it and it doesn't hurt my jaw anymore unfortunately i tore it from repeatedly removing and putting it back during the first few hours of use.

Bass Plus on left. Stock on right.
edit: My stock is from the non-glued Woox branded box. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #10,178 of 15,268
So i received my X2s today after ordering new from amazon UK and Its not good news 
frown.gif

My pair suffer from an imbalanced sound towards the left side and the ear pads are different thicknesses. The low frequencies a sound very muddy to me. Not defined at all. The pads are also glued on and it says Gibson innovations on the box.

Very disappointing.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #10,179 of 15,268
  So i received my X2s today after ordering new from amazon UK and Its not good news 
frown.gif

My pair suffer from an imbalanced sound towards the left side and the ear pads are different thicknesses. The low frequencies a sound very muddy to me. Not defined at all. The pads are also glued on and it says Gibson innovations on the box.

Very disappointing.

I am very sorry to hear that.
I am sure, the muddiness of low frequencies would improve with 100-150 hrs of burn-in. But there is no excuse for imbalance. And I also don't like glued pads. That means you have got one of the problematic batches. If I were in your shoes, I would send them back straight away.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #10,180 of 15,268
frown.gif

Very disappointing.

where did you order them from and where they new? I will be ordering a pair of these in the next couple of days and I don't want the Gibson either. I was thinking of buy them from Amazon.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #10,181 of 15,268
Yes i can understand the burn in time would improve things slightly. I am planning on returning them right away. I would like to order another pair but dont know if its worth the risk getting another poor quality pair.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #10,182 of 15,268
So i contacted amazon, It appears that my order was through a company called amazeal ,fulfilled by amazon UK. I asked the rep how i could order a woox pair, She said that they have a back order for woox pairs scheduled 12th march.
Im not sure how concrete this information is but its worth a shot. She advised to contact amazon before ordering again to confirm this. @howdy 

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #10,183 of 15,268

I am very sorry to hear that.
I am sure, the muddiness of low frequencies would improve with 100-150 hrs of burn-in. But there is no excuse for imbalance. And I also don't like glued pads. That means you have got one of the problematic batches. If I were in your shoes, I would send them back straight away.

I don't think the "muddiness" will improve at all.  The first pair I got sounded pretty loose, I returned that pair and got a Woox pair that sounded great from the beginning.  I'm not sure if the original pair I got was Gibson or not, but the sound signatures between the first and my current pair were VERY different.  Bass was loose and sloppy on the first set, this pair the bass is great and it's only sounded uncontrolled on a few occasions.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #10,184 of 15,268
The bass on mine was muddy and sloppy but it has been getting better with burn in, playing very sub-bass orientated songs with an EQ turned on at high volumes for long period of time has helped immensely to the point where I had to turn my EQ down a bit today.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #10,185 of 15,268
I actually made a burn-in album back when I bought the Ultrasone Pro 900. It's got white, pink and brown noise, tone sweeps and bass notes. If you want something to systematically burn in your gear, you can grab it here:
Http://www.sorensiim.dk/stuff/Burn-In_FLAC.zip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back