Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 2, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #10,156 of 15,268
  Im currently using sennheiser pc360 headset as an open backed headphone for producing and listening to house style music. I believe it uses the same drivers as the 558.  I actually really like the sound signature of these headphones, Neutral lows and nice highs. I ordered a pair of dt880s to test but the high end was to zingy and fatiguing for  my taste. Would you guys say the X2 has a similar sound as the pc360 or would another sennheiser headphone such as the hd600, hd 598 be a better choice for an upgrade?

Also is it the x2/00 batch i shoudl be looking for or the x2/27? Does anyone know if the current batch on amazon UK is absent of these quality control issues i keep hearing about?

The X2 has a warm tilt, as in there is a gradual increase of bass linearly sloping towards the bass. Check out Tyll's measurements on Inner Fidelity for measurement graphs of each headphone you're interested in. I would recommend the hd600. you can get a secondhand one in the calssifieds for between 200-300, which is the same price you would basically be paying fro the X2s. the 598s might not be enough of an upgrade for you from the pc360 to justify the extra cash. If you  want a monitoring headphone that is neutral and sounds fantastic to listen to music to at the same time i would recommend the R70x. It is not on your list, but among the headphones I own its one of my all time favorites.

That being said, you cant go wrong with the X2s. They are exceptional sounding, exceptionally built, and veeeeryyy comfortable for long periods of time.

For reference I listen to a lot of chillstep, house, and melodic dubstep

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #10,157 of 15,268
  Lots of people in this thread did. Just read through the thread around december 2015. Correct me if im wrong, but Gibson is going to be continuing the manufacture of these headphones going forward. Your best chance when buying from amazon is a used one through AWD. I got a Woox pair that way. Got a Gibson when I bought a new one from them.

The X2 are bassy, but they have a significant sub-bass roll off below 60hz like most open backs. That is what he eq'ed back in.. and i guess a bit extra P:

I just decided to bite the bullet and try the same thing. I ordered a pair of 9500s (new for $82)...a pair of X2s (used/very good for $160)...and a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s (refurbished for $140). I'm anticipating I'll keep the Sennys (especially for that price), and then thought I would test the Philips against each other. If I couldn't tell much of a difference, I'd keep the 9500s. If I could tell, I'd keep the X2s.

I got the 9500s first on Monday, and first reaction was "okay...not disappointing, but not worth the hype." I started a burn-in that night, then on Tuesday my new portable DAC showed up (Fiio Q1). With those two things, the 9500 started to sound a LOT better on day 2. I did use prefer the bass boost on almost every song. The headphones are incredibly comfortable, but they feel like they'll be prone to getting hot. Anyway, it felt like an acquired taste that I was really starting to appreciate.

But then the X2s showed up today.

As soon as I took them out of the box: "Holy poo, these are substantial/heavy compared to the 9500s." Next thing I did was check for which version I got, and appears I lucked out and scored Woox all the way. Even though it wasn't listed as Refurbished or Like New by AWD, it might as well have been -- it basically came packaged like I got it off the shelf.

Opened it up...plugged it in...and MAN, these things "won" within 20 seconds of the first track. Sound is so much more expansive, filled out and bottom-present. I actually prefer the bass boost off with these. I'm sitting here smiling, listening to every track. (and that smile gets even better when I realize I nabbed them for $160).

I give credit to Phillips for what they put together in a sub-$100 headphone in the 9500, but I'll be sending them back for the X2s. I think I'm just gonna get a short Sentey cord now, and maybe a case.

Bottom line: with Amazon's generous return policy, you might as well order several things and then send back what you don't want. Otherwise you'll suffer analysis by paralysis...

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #10,158 of 15,268
  Im currently using sennheiser pc360 headset as an open backed headphone for producing and listening to house style music. I believe it uses the same drivers as the 558.  I actually really like the sound signature of these headphones, Neutral lows and nice highs. I ordered a pair of dt880s to test but the high end was to zingy and fatiguing for  my taste. Would you guys say the X2 has a similar sound as the pc360 or would another sennheiser headphone such as the hd600, hd 598 be a better choice for an upgrade?

Also is it the x2/00 batch i shoudl be looking for or the x2/27? Does anyone know if the current batch on amazon UK is absent of these quality control issues i keep hearing about?

It's the same headphone - X2/00 is EU and X2/27 is US. I think X2 is going to be more forgiving than any Beyers. Tonally it's somewhat similar to HD600, but with much fatter low end.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #10,159 of 15,268
Thanks for the responses guys! Audiotechnica r70x look nice. At the moment i cant really afford an amp so the hd600s might not be the best choice for me atm.If the 598s wont be much of an upgrade then i think im gonna bite the bullet and get some X2s of amazon warehouse deals. Hope i get a woox pair. like it has been mentioned above, amazon have a veeery generous return policy. . Il give you an update once i get them. wish me luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #10,160 of 15,268
  I wouldn't say they're the same. At least not on mine.
The stock pads can feel a bit prickly but no such issue on the Bass Plus ones. Think it has something to do with the shorter felt.

I didn't really have much of an issue with the stock ones - the prickiness was very very minor. Its one of those - if I dont think about it I dont feel it kinda thing.

But these Bass Plus ones are definitely more comfy. I immediately felt the difference the first time I tried it on.
Haven't tried the HM5 ones so can't comment on those.

Would you mind posting pics of the two side by side? (stock and bass plus pads) I would very much appreciate it. If they are thicker and much softer I could probably live with not having the HM5 pads.

I really NEED thicker pads than stock. The hm5 are amazing after I got used to it and it doesn't hurt my jaw anymore unfortunately i tore it from repeatedly removing and putting it back during the first few hours of use.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #10,161 of 15,268

Would you mind posting pics of the two side by side? (stock and bass plus pads) I would very much appreciate it. If they are thicker and much softer I could probably live with not having the HM5 pads.

I really NEED thicker pads than stock. The hm5 are amazing after I got used to it and it doesn't hurt my jaw anymore unfortunately i tore it from repeatedly removing and putting it back during the first few hours of use.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/9540#post_12269228

I recently bought a pair and they're not thicker than the original pads, but they are softer. Also, if you stretch the headband thoroughly it'll remove a lot of the clamping force that the X2s have initially. I had the same issue with the pads putting pressure on my jaw until I did that.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #10,162 of 15,268

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/9540#post_12269228

I recently bought a pair and they're not thicker than the original pads, but they are softer. Also, if you stretch the headband thoroughly it'll remove a lot of the clamping force that the X2s have initially. I had the same issue with the pads putting pressure on my jaw until I did that.

Thanks! So I guess they aren't improvements to the stock pads. I'm gonna pass on the bass pads I guess. I'm gonna wait for the HM5 pads to come back on stock.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #10,164 of 15,268
I've just ordered another pair of X2's as I'm not happy with the HD650's sound. I sold my last X2's as I couldn't get on with the weight of them however the X2's just sounded so much better for me than the HD650's.

I've currently got a Vali with a Magni 2 on the way as I wasn't sure I wanted the relaxed sound of the Vali and would prefer the energetic Magni 2. However I've seen a few people, including MLE, suggesting the Vali is a great pairing with the X2's. So I guess I'll try both and maybe return the Magni if the Vali is indeed better.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #10,165 of 15,268
  Feels odd to recommend anything to an obvious connaisseur but look into GusGus or Cinnamon Chasers if you haven´t already 
smily_headphones1.gif

I know and like GusGus, I didn't know Cinnamon Chasers. GusGus is in the group of my "middle preference". So is Cinnamon Chasers hearing this song.
These are sometimes too disco-like for my taste. My ultimate genre recently seems to be downtempo psychedelic electronica like Solar Fields, Vibrasphere, Carbon Based Lifeforms and Liquid Soul. But pretty close my friend, pretty close.
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #10,166 of 15,268
okay so I didnt know how to phrase this in the search bar or if I was using the right terminology, but I have both the X1 and the X2 and while I know they made the headband taller for the X2, is anyone else's X2 headband rather "pointy" vs completely round? my X1s have a "round" head band that is more circular and my X2s have a more "top half of an egg" shape to it. IMO the round look is much less goofy looking.\

I dont know if it makes a difference but mine is a WOOX pair.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #10,167 of 15,268
  okay so I didnt know how to phrase this in the search bar or if I was using the right terminology, but I have both the X1 and the X2 and while I know they made the headband taller for the X2, is anyone else's X2 headband rather "pointy" vs completely round? my X1s have a "round" head band that is more circular and my X2s have a more "top half of an egg" shape to it. IMO the round look is much less goofy looking.\

I dont know if it makes a difference but mine is a WOOX pair.

You can always adjust it to your liking with some gentle stretching.

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #10,169 of 15,268
Fro
  I just got my hd600 today, what is a good amp for the 600, x2 ,and the thx00. any suggestions would help thanks

From what I hear the M9xx pairs very well with the THX00. The hd600's potential wont be "maxed out" by any means since it can scale much farther with much more expensive hardware, but it will definitely be able to drive your X2s to its fullest potential. I drive all three with a Soundblaster E5 and I have never felt like I am missing anything.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #10,170 of 15,268
I just got my hd600 today, what is a good amp for the 600, x2 ,and the thx00. any suggestions would help thanks

Think something like Schiit Asgard 2 would drive all three with authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back