Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #8,176 of 15,268
Can anyone explain why this is happening : when i plug my headphones into E17k and turn the volume on VLC player at 100 and on fiio at 40 steps (out of 60), it gives me same loudness when i plug directly into my laptop. This should not be the case as e17 is much more powerful amplifier? Even my friend's "one plus one" was able to deliver more volume than fiio.
Can any one notice the difference in sound while using external DAC against Laptop DAC?
Should i increase volume from player or from amplifier first?

I'm not familiar with the E17k bit maybe it has a gain switch?

You should set the system volume and player volume to max and use the E17k to control the volume.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #8,177 of 15,268
Philips actually sent me a check. Just called them and asked to cancel it, heh. They're quite easy to reach on the phone, email is slow as molasses though.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #8,178 of 15,268
Received mine. Mine is 2014@WOOX Innovations Limited.

Initial impression (open box). I can understand why it has been hyped. Great phone. Neutral, balanced, Very detailed. But, on my gear and to my ear, its open-box sound fall behind of HD600 for symphonies at least.

My gear: laptop->ifi iusb ->U415 USB cable ->Meridian Director->Equinox 7 Interconnect Cable->HT2 tube amplifier (2 5670s push a 6080)

Tested with Mahler sym. 1&2, 4th movement; Devorak sym. 9, 4th movement; Ravel Danse generale. The soundstage of X2 is great, but shrinked in all the three directions compared to HD600. Separation and detail is at least no worse than 600! Of course bass is deeper than 600. But mid and high are better on 600. The most weakness compared to HD600 is its vigor. It lacks too much vigor of HD600 when play symphonies!

This is open-box sound. Hopefully could improve significantly in the future. BTW: 1. It’s really strange on my OTL tube amplifier; I need to tune higher position of the voice knob than for HD600! 2. Though it’s not bad on OTL, it’s still better on SS amplifier. At least on my amplifiers. I should keep it. 

I'll update my impression later after burning in.

Update: Sorry. I just made a mistake. I use Explorer with SS amp. for X2. Now I connect SS amp. with Director, its dynamic and vigor improved a lot, though still below the level of HD600. X2 cannot match well with OTL. Sorry about this!

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #8,179 of 15,268
  Received mine. Mine is 2014@WOOX Innovations Limited.

Initial impression (open box). I can understand why it has been hyped. Great phone. Neutral, balanced, Very detailed. But, on my gear and to my ear, its open-box sound fall far behind of HD600 for symphonies at least.

My gear: laptop->ifi iusb ->U415 USB cable ->Meridian Director->Equinox 7 Interconnect Cable->HT2 tube amplifier (2 5670s push a 6080)

Tested with Mahler sym. 1&2, 4th movement; Devorak sym. 9, 4th movement; Ravel Danse generale. The soundstage of X2 is great, but shrinked in all the three directions compared to HD600. Separation and detail is at least no worse than 600! Of course bass is deeper than 600. But mid and high are better on 600. The most weakness compared to HD600 is its vigor. It lacks too much vigor of HD600 when play symphonies!

This is open-box sound. Hopefully could improve significantly in the future. BTW: 1. It’s really strange on my OTL tube amplifier; I need to tune higher position of the voice knob than for HD600! 2. Though it’s not bad on OTL, it’s still better on SS amplifier. At least on my amplifiers. I should keep it. 

The X2 would not be my first choice for classical music. It also would not be my choice to match with an OTL amp. At 30 ohms the OTL will not like the X2s much. A SS amp would be much preferred. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #8,180 of 15,268

The X2 would not be my first choice for classical music. It also would not be my choice to match with an OTL amp. At 30 ohms the OTL will not like the X2s much. A SS amp would be much preferred. 

It's still great for symphonies. Its soundstage is very good! But just cannot catch up 600. But I never expect it better than 600. And hopefully its soundstage could be opened up a little bit. 
Yes, it's better on SS amp. But on SS, it cannot as good as 600 from tube amp. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #8,181 of 15,268
  It's still great for symphonies. Its soundstage is very good! But just cannot catch up 600. But I never expect it better than 600. And hopefully its soundstage could be opened up a little bit. 
Yes, it's better on SS amp. But on SS, it cannot as good as 600 from tube amp. 

I own HD650s and X2s. I don't consider one or the other "better". Just different. I like them both.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #8,182 of 15,268
  I own HD650s and X2s. I don't consider one or the other "better". Just different. I like them both.

I think headphones like HD600 and X2 are more complementary to each other, rather than better or worse... But if I'd choose to have a single headphone, it would be X2.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #8,183 of 15,268
  Listening to Vivaldi Four Seasons....These cans sound brilliant.....
gs1000.gif

That's one of my favourite! A bit off topic, but whose version do you listen to? I personally saved 3 in my Spotify: Nigel Kennedy; II Giardino Armonico; Giuliano Carmignola. Same song, different player with different interpretation, they do sound very different in terms of mood, some more aggressive, some relaxed. Give them a try!

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #8,184 of 15,268
Update: Sorry. I just made a mistake. I use Explorer with SS amp. for X2. Now I connect SS amp. with Director, its dynamic and vigor improved a lot, though still below the level of HD600. X2 cannot match well with OTL. Sorry about this!

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #8,188 of 15,268

Yeah, I don't care for the X2 with classical, personally. And the tube amp/ low-impedance headphone issues are well documented.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #8,189 of 15,268
Just wanted to chime in for those who are having similar glue issues with the X2. I ordered mine during the sale also (because I mean...come on...The X2's are a steal for $200!).

But after checking head-fi and seeing the glue issue...DAMN YOU HEADFI....I had to try taking the pads off. Unfortunately, the pads were glued on and wouldn't come off easily, so I pried and pried and finally got them off. In the process, a few of the holes in the pad got messed up and the right earpad falls off easily. 

Anyway, I ordered a replacement and mine should be coming on Wednesday, so I'll post an update when I get it. 

In terms of amps, I believe the X2's work better with SS amps than tubes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back