Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 21, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #8,161 of 15,268
A review from WhatHiFi
wink_face.gif
:

http://www.whathifi.com/philips/fidelio-x2/review

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #8,162 of 15,268
I guess some people are less picky, but to me that's not acceptable. If it's advertised that the pads are easily removable and they're not then that's defective. If I can get a pair that are perfect there's no need to settle for a bad pair.

Too each there own. IMO going through a return process is more difficult than the method I suggested.

Good luck with your search.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #8,163 of 15,268
Too each there own. IMO going through a return process is more difficult than the method I suggested.

Good luck with your search.

Mine sound good, but the pads are glued on and I have the trims coming off both sides.  It might only be cosmetic, but if it turns out that the people who have ordered replacements after Amazon's investigation get good sets, I'm sending mine in as well.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #8,165 of 15,268
Mine sound good, but the pads are glued on and I have the trims coming off both sides.  It might only be cosmetic, but if it turns out that the people who have ordered replacements after Amazon's investigation get good sets, I'm sending mine in as well.

Trim I absolutely understand wanting to get replaced. I would too. That's not a quick simple fix like the glue issue to my knowledge.

Is there a particular name for the type of velour the X2 uses? The only headphone I've had that the material almost sparkles or shines. Also has a different texture than most velour pads.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #8,166 of 15,268
  My impressions of fidelio x2 after 1 hr of listening;

I now begin to appreciate their sound. The bass is best i have heard so far. Mid range is also great. Also the cans seem to be somewhat open now compared to my earlier listening. But the treble extension is poor i think. While other genre's seem to fit with them, classical specifically does not sound good. I increased treble on my fiio e17k amp and now they sound much more detailed. I am able to easily distinguish each instrument now as compared to 0 treble setting. That said they sound amazing when treble boost is given, but still i was expecting more open sound-stage and great imaging. Anyways the pads are glued and i am going for replacement, these cans are too good to give up.

Yeah, once you get used to the sound then it sounds better.  And I agree on the treble.  Maybe the mids and lows are drowning them out, but I did felt the trebles were a little weak.  I'm probably just used to Grados.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #8,168 of 15,268
  Yeah, once you get used to the sound then it sounds better.  And I agree on the treble.  Maybe the mids and lows are drowning them out, but I did felt the trebles were a little weak.  I'm probably just used to Grados.

Treble boost seems to be working for me but they have unique sound which is very mellow yet detailed that i like about them.....

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #8,169 of 15,268
Dec 21, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #8,170 of 15,268
Can anyone explain why this is happening : when i plug my headphones into E17k and turn the volume on VLC player at 100 and on fiio at 40 steps (out of 60), it gives me same loudness when i plug directly into my laptop. This should not be the case as e17 is much more powerful amplifier? Even my friend's "one plus one" was able to deliver more volume than fiio.
Can any one notice the difference in sound while using external DAC against Laptop DAC?
Should i increase volume from player or from amplifier first?

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #8,172 of 15,268
Can anyone explain why this is happening : when i plug my headphones into E17k and turn the volume on VLC player at 100 and on fiio at 40 steps (out of 60), it gives me same loudness when i plug directly into my laptop. This should not be the case as e17 is much more powerful amplifier? Even my friend's "one plus one" was able to deliver more volume than fiio.
Can any one notice the difference in sound while using external DAC against Laptop DAC?
Music player volume up, then control your volume from e17.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #8,173 of 15,268

VLC volume isn't necessarily system volume.  Increase them both to 100% and your E17K should drive them loudly on a low setting.

EDIT: Also, not to seem like a tool, but foobar2000 is considered much better than VLC for audio playback.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #8,174 of 15,268

VLC volume isn't necessarily system volume.  Increase them both to 100% and your E17K should drive them loudly on a low setting.

It is working but does that increasing volume on music player means more distortion; I have experienced with my earphones the same problem of distortion

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #8,175 of 15,268

It is working but does that increasing volume on music player means more distortion; I have experienced with my earphones the same problem of distortion

I don't honestly know about VLC.  A quick look seems you can raise the volume to 125%?  Yeah, don't do that.  100% max but ideally use foobar2000 or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back