Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #7,007 of 15,268

I have the X1, and assuming it's not a wildly different headphone than the X2, like so different you'd never know they were the same line, I'm thinking the X2 is further from neutral than the 650's (I've had those and the 600s). The 650 might be a bit warm and dark, but the 600s and the X's are on the opposite side of things, the 600s are bright-leaning neutral and the X1's are way bassy and lush.

If 600 and 650 are so different to you, I am sure you would be surprised, how much difference is between X1 and X2.
X2 is indeed further from neutral than 650, and 650 is warmer and darker than 600. 600 is a neutral reference, but I would say it is rather leaning to the warmish side, not to the bright side. Very much depends on the amplifier imho, as 600 is very transparent.
You must be pretty sensitive to treble reading your opinion about 600, and the grados. Which is not a problem, we just perceive sound differently.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #7,008 of 15,268

If 600 and 650 are so different to you, I am sure you would be surprised, how much difference is between X1 and X2.
X2 is indeed further from neutral than 650, and 650 is warmer and darker than 600. 600 is a neutral reference, but I would say it is rather leaning to the warmish side, not to the bright side. Very much depends on the amplifier imho, as 600 is very transparent.
You must be pretty sensitive to treble reading your opinion about 600, and the grados. Which is not a problem, we just perceive sound differently.

I overstated earlier. IMO (and I've said this in the various threads) the 650 and 600 are like a 5% difference. I just meant that the 600s and X1's are situated on opposite sides of the "Neutral" spot. I will heavily argue how "warm" the HD600s are, but that's for another day.

It's possible I'm extra sensitive to treble, yeah. And I think that's a big thing to take into consideration when reading reviews, because I do confess the 600s were about as bright of a headphone as my ears could handle and still enjoy, whereas the Grados were so far off the spectrum I couldn't handle it. But hey, I respect the hell out of the Grado family and honestly would own a pair of RS1's if I could just because I looooove the craftsmanship that goes into them.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #7,009 of 15,268
I just found an offer somewhere to buy a brand new, unopened X1 for $115 shipped.  I used to own the X2 and enjoyed it, but slightly preferred my hd650 so I sold them.

You guys think I would like the X1 if I liked the X2?  They seem mighty tempting at $115.  They have a great soundstage like the X2 for gaming?  My hd650 leaves a little to be desired at gaming and I was originally planning to maybe getting a K7xx.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #7,011 of 15,268
Is it better to get the X2 or the HD 650 for badly mastered music? 

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #7,012 of 15,268
Is it better to get the X2 or the HD 650 for badly mastered music? 

HD650 will make it listenable. X2 will make it enjoyable.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #7,014 of 15,268
I do confess the 600s were about as bright of a headphone as my ears could handle and still enjoy, whereas the Grados were so far off the spectrum I couldn't handle it. But hey, I respect the hell out of the Grado family and honestly would own a pair of RS1's if I could just because I looooove the craftsmanship that goes into them.

I had a pair of "tour" Rs1e's, and was disappointed to see the wood was poorly finished. It was as if they did coarse sanding on the wood, but didn't bother with medium, fine, and superfine sanding. Very sad for a $700 headphone

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #7,015 of 15,268
  I overstated earlier. IMO (and I've said this in the various threads) the 650 and 600 are like a 5% difference. I just meant that the 600s and X1's are situated on opposite sides of the "Neutral" spot. I will heavily argue how "warm" the HD600s are, but that's for another day.

It's possible I'm extra sensitive to treble, yeah. And I think that's a big thing to take into consideration when reading reviews, because I do confess the 600s were about as bright of a headphone as my ears could handle and still enjoy, whereas the Grados were so far off the spectrum I couldn't handle it. But hey, I respect the hell out of the Grado family and honestly would own a pair of RS1's if I could just because I looooove the craftsmanship that goes into them.

X1 is quite bassy, and much less refined than any other of the mentioned headphones. I wouldn't put X1 in the same category with the Senns., while X2 has a well earned place among them.

I am also not a big fan of the grado sound, however they look cool. :)

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #7,016 of 15,268
I had a pair of "tour" Rs1e's, and was disappointed to see the wood was poorly finished. It was as if they did coarse sanding on the wood, but didn't bother with medium, fine, and superfine sanding. Very sad for a $700 headphone

Aw man, really? :/ I do hope they didn't go all cheap when they went to the -e line, but maybe they did. The standard RS1's I'd seen looked like seeing pieces of old furniture from like a Renaissance palace. I was almost angry I didn't like the sound because they were so pretty I wanted to buy them. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #7,017 of 15,268

X1 is quite bassy, and much less refined than any other of the mentioned headphones. I wouldn't put X1 in the same category with the Senns., while X2 has a well earned place among them.

I am also not a big fan of the grado sound, however they look cool. :)

You guys are killing me. I might end up putting my K's in the sale/trade forum now. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back