Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #7,036 of 15,268

Yep, this is it... I've just returned my second pair to Amazon over it and still haven't ordered another replacement hoping that Amazon would "fix" their stock first...

Having said that, I doubt it has any audible impact. Just a cosmetic defect for OCD types.. By the way, even the thread OP's review shows it in his pictures!

I'll probably not worry about it, I'm not as as concerned about these things as other enthusiasts, though I can see the QC problems now that I realize it's more common than I expected. Maybe I'll contact Amazon and see if they'll accept it 3 months after the fact. 

And sorry for being that guy who doesn't see the thing in the OP, I made the post a bit hastily. 

As far as I know they're genuine, sold my Amazon directly. Others with the issue also got them there in the Aug-Sept time frame apparently. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #7,037 of 15,268
  I'll probably not worry about it, I'm not as as concerned about these things as other enthusiasts, though I can see the QC problems now that I realize it's more common than I expected. Maybe I'll contact Amazon and see if they'll accept it 3 months after the fact. 

I was slightly over 30 day return window, so they told me to try contacting Philips first and if that doesn't work out.. they will try something else. So I did... And it's been almost 3 weeks since their last communication with me. I got back to Amazon, saying I have no luck with the manufacturer, and they issued a replacement which end up having the same defect. So I have returned it for a full refund. Not sure they will help you after 90 days, though.

I've just ordered my third replacement, from a 3rd party seller this time, but still "Fulfilled by Amazon" (not sure I will have warranty in this case, but I still can return it if I want), hoping maybe he has a different stock. Meanwhile Philips is yet to respond to my original RMA request. Just silly.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #7,038 of 15,268
This is really disappointing at this price point.
I start to feel lucky to own a perfect pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #7,039 of 15,268
  This is really disappointing at this price point.
I start to feel lucky to own a perfect pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

They've had issues with QC from day one but it seems to be little things that to me are inconsequential.  My pair while cosmetically perfect, came with a plug adapter that an insane channel imbalance.  I almost returned them but decided to trouble shoot with different sources and a couple of those are 1/8" instead of 1/4" and that's when I realized it was the adapter.  Switch it out for one I knew was fine, boom no imbalance.  All in all I have no qualms recommending it.  Let's face it guys... Philips isn't generally known as the king of build quality(generally speaking as a company) nor luxury. They have only recently jumped into headphones in this price class and I think they've done an admirable job where it counts.  These things sound fantastic and I don't see many posts about driver issues, almost exclusively issues that really don't affect the sound.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7,040 of 15,268
That's why I keep reordering them..

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #7,041 of 15,268
You most commonly see posts from those who have complaints.  I would just like to add that other than a little ink bleed from the pads, (which has been remedied)my pair is perfect!  No driver issues, no loose connections, no loose banding,, nada.  And I received my pair from Amazon Warehouse back in July.  I absolutely love them!  They scale very well when fed with higher-end equipment. And that includes replacing the cable.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #7,042 of 15,268
  They've had issues with QC from day one but it seems to be little things that to me are inconsequential.  My pair while cosmetically perfect, came with a plug adapter that an insane channel imbalance.  I almost returned them but decided to trouble shoot with different sources and a couple of those are 1/8" instead of 1/4" and that's when I realized it was the adapter.  Switch it out for one I knew was fine, boom no imbalance.  All in all I have no qualms recommending it.  Let's face it guys... Philips isn't generally known as the king of build quality(generally speaking as a company) nor luxury. They have only recently jumped into headphones in this price class and I think they've done an admirable job where it counts.  These things sound fantastic and I don't see many posts about driver issues, almost exclusively issues that really don't affect the sound.

Complete agreement, Badfish5446.  These headphones sound so great that slight cosmetic flaws don't detract much from the total package.  My X2's do have a noticeable channel driver imbalance favoring the left channel that unfortunately is not related to any simple adapter or cable but I enjoy the sound so much that I modified an inline volume switch to allow me to adjust the balance.  Now I'm pleased as punch.  Looking at the latest posted picture one side also has a slight gap in that aluminum ring as well but it is really a very minor flaw that I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't religiously read this forum topic.  I just love the sound of these hps!  

Eventually, I'll probably get a TOTL pair of carbon fiber Ether-C's or the next whiz-bang headphones that catch my fancy but right now I'm thoroughly enthralled with these
wonderful (though slightly flawed) Philips Fidelio X2's.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #7,043 of 15,268
After trial purchasing some very fine Sennheiser HD 598s SEs, yet not quite being totally pleased with the sound, I ordered and received my X2s over a month ago (from Amazon USA). I immediately knew these were a step (worth the extra $100). The sound signature included the lower end that the 598s were missing. The rest of the range was very well rendered. I have had no quality issues with the X2s. Guess I got lucky. The industrial design, the actual build quality, and above all, the sound quality have been very very good. I feel bad for those of you that have had issues. All I can say is that if you buy from a reputable seller which accepts returns, keep at it as the getting to the destination is very well worth the effort.  I listen to them every night when I by my desktop PC. I use a nice high-res DAC and Foobar2000 software and it is a pleasure listening to well recorded well engineered music. I recently saw Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals and even saw a slight discount on the X2s. I had no desire to pursue the price discount on the X2s nor other headphone options (like the discounted Beyerdynamics which I am sure are very fine headphones). Just enjoying these for the time being. Best wises to all. May you find your audio nirvana.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #7,044 of 15,268
Hey, first time poster....

I just want to preface my comments by saying I am by no means an expert in headphones, but have always been a big music fan and sound quality has become very important to me lately.  I didn't realize until the past year or so what a great pair of headphones can do to the experience of listening to music.

I purchased the X2 a few weeks ago, and am coming from a Sennheiser HD598.  I also have a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for traveling.  My decision to purchase the X2 was based, in large part, by reading comments on the forum, which are very informative and helpful.   Before purchasing the X2, I tried the Oppo PM-3 and the HiFiMan 400s.   The PM-3 and 400s were both excellent, but I think the X2 offers a richer, warmer sound and I am glad I found out about them when I did.  They are simply the best headphones I've ever heard.  The PM-3 was very articulate and the bass is tight and punchy.  The build is high quality too, and, thankfully, I haven't experienced the cosmetic issues the others noted above. The V-Moda, despite being built to last a 100 years, obviously pales in comparison to the PM-3, as it is very muffled sounding, but I wasn't sure I needed to spend an extra $200 for a closed back headphone.  I was more interested in getting something for the home, and the X2 just fit the bill better.   The only criticisms I have for the PM-3 is that they were a bit too clinical sounding, and I wasn't crazy about the padded headband and smaller ear cups.   Re the 400s, the clamping force was a bit too much for me, and, in contrast to most people's preferences, I didn't like the short cable.

The X2's comfort were not perfect for me though.  The clamping was initially bothersome for me, but has since improved (the headband's metal is seems pliable), and the ear pads were a bit hard and itchy. I actually liked the pads on the 400s more.  Anyway, I ordered the Bass plus velvet cushions from China.  The cushion is softer, and the velvet material doesn't irritate my skin.  The cushions make the a great headphone that much better for me.  They are not cheap - $28 - and I had to wait about 10 days for them to arrive, but they are worth it.  The bass seems to go deeper too, but I have to spend more time with them and make further comparisons with the stock pads to see if this is a reality or just a perception influenced by the advertisement "Bass" plus.

Thanks for reading...

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #7,045 of 15,268
  Hey, first time poster....

I just want to preface my comments by saying I am by no means an expert in headphones, but have always been a big music fan and sound quality has become very important to me lately.  I didn't realize until the past year or so what a great pair of headphones can do to the experience of listening to music.

I purchased the X2 a few weeks ago, and am coming from a Sennheiser HD598.  I also have a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for traveling.  My decision to purchase the X2 was based, in large part, by reading comments on the forum, which are very informative and helpful.   Before purchasing the X2, I tried the Oppo PM-3 and the HiFiMan 400s.   The PM-3 and 400s were both excellent, but I think the X2 offers a richer, warmer sound and I am glad I found out about them when I did.  They are simply the best headphones I've ever heard.  The PM-3 was very articulate and the bass is tight and punchy.  The build is high quality too, and, thankfully, I haven't experienced the cosmetic issues the others noted above. The V-Moda, despite being built to last a 100 years, obviously pales in comparison to the PM-3, as it is very muffled sounding, but I wasn't sure I needed to spend an extra $200 for a closed back headphone.  I was more interested in getting something for the home, and the X2 just fit the bill better.   The only criticisms I have for the PM-3 is that they were a bit too clinical sounding, and I wasn't crazy about the padded headband and smaller ear cups.   Re the 400s, the clamping force was a bit too much for me, and, in contrast to most people's preferences, I didn't like the short cable.

The X2's comfort were not perfect for me though.  The clamping was initially bothersome for me, but has since improved (the headband's metal is seems pliable), and the ear pads were a bit hard and itchy. I actually liked the pads on the 400s more.  Anyway, I ordered the Bass plus velvet cushions from China.  The cushion is softer, and the velvet material doesn't irritate my skin.  The cushions make the a great headphone that much better for me.  They are not cheap - $28 - and I had to wait about 10 days for them to arrive, but they are worth it.  The bass seems to go deeper too, but I have to spend more time with them and make further comparisons with the stock pads to see if this is a reality or just a perception influenced by the advertisement "Bass" plus.

Thanks for reading...

Great first post!

It is of much interest to me as I currently own the headphones you are 'coming from' (HD598).  What is your opinion on how they stack up to each other?  In particular, I am curious how dialogue in movies sound through the X2, as the HD598 can sometimes have that 'might just fly away in the wind' quality which occasionally makes hearing certain words difficult.

EDIT:  Could you also comment on your perceived comfort/weight difference between the two headphones, as that is extremely important for me?  Thanks!

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #7,046 of 15,268

Great first post!

It is of much interest to me as I currently own the headphones you are 'coming from' (HD598).  What is your opinion on how they stack up to each other?  In particular, I am curious how dialogue in movies sound through the X2, as the HD598 can sometimes have that 'might just fly away in the wind' quality which occasionally makes hearing certain words difficult.

EDIT:  Could you also comment on your perceived comfort/weight difference between the two headphones, as that is extremely important for me?  Thanks!

Thanks Hammy.

The HD598 is definitely lighter and less cumbersome but not necessarily more comfortable than the X2.  I think the suspension headband of the X2 helps distribute the weight fairly well.  I also like the headband better on the X2 than the 598, as it's flat and a fairly soft mesh material .  For some reason, I don't like padded headbands, and the padding on the 598 would annoy me on occasion.  Admittedly, the X2 is fairly large and, hate to say it, looks a bit ridiculous on your head, but I don't care since I only listen to them at home and my wife doesn't give me funny looks anymore when I wear them!

One caveat is the ear pad issue I mentioned above - the stock pads are not bad by any means, and most people wouldn't have a problem with them, but the bass plus replacements are a great option.  They seem to be from the same manufacturer as the stock pads, as the size, shape, and markings of both sets of pads were identical. 

Regarding sound quality, the 598 is great and improved over time, but the highs are bit sharp and/or shrill when compared to the X2.  When I compared the two headphones by listening to some jazz, sax and trumpet were more pleasing to the ears on the X2.   The X2 also has more richness in the low end.   Vocals sound pleasing too (the PM-3 bothered me because of the sharper "s" sound in vocals).  

I am still looking for an amp to pair it with though, as I listen to records and want to hook up the amp to my phone stage.  I have a Musical Fidelity HPA V90 and I think it sounds better with the 598 than with the X2.  Maybe because the output impedance is at 10 ohms, and doesn't pair well with the lower impedance X2.   I just ordered an O2 amp based on recommendations and I'll see how that works.  Surprisingly, the X2 sounds awesome with the iPhone 6 alone. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #7,047 of 15,268
Thanks Hammy.

The HD598 is definitely lighter and less cumbersome but not necessarily more comfortable than the X2.  I think the suspension headband of the X2 helps distribute the weight fairly well.  I also like the headband better on the X2 than the 598, as it's flat and a fairly soft mesh material .  For some reason, I don't like padded headbands, and the padding on the 598 would annoy me on occasion.  Admittedly, the X2 is fairly large and, hate to say it, looks a bit ridiculous on your head, but I don't care since I only listen to them at home and my wife doesn't give me funny looks anymore when I wear them!

One caveat is the ear pad issue I mentioned above - the stock pads are not bad by any means, and most people wouldn't have a problem with them, but the bass plus replacements are a great option.  They seem to be from the same manufacturer as the stock pads, as the size, shape, and markings of both sets of pads were identical. 

Regarding sound quality, the 598 is great and improved over time, but the highs are bit sharp and/or shrill when compared to the X2.  When I compared the two headphones by listening to some jazz, sax and trumpet were more pleasing to the ears on the X2.   The X2 also has more richness in the low end.   Vocals sound pleasing too (the PM-3 bothered me because of the sharper "s" sound in vocals).  

I am still looking for an amp to pair it with though, as I listen to records and want to hook up the amp to my phone stage.  I have a Musical Fidelity HPA V90 and I think it sounds better with the 598 than with the X2.  Maybe because the output impedance is at 10 ohms, and doesn't pair well with the lower impedance X2.   I just ordered an O2 amp based on recommendations and I'll see how that works.  Surprisingly, the X2 sounds awesome with the iPhone 6 alone. 

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet :wink:

Great first posts!

Please share more impressions on the differences in sound between the pads when you get some more time with them. I'm particularly interested in if it's the mid-bass, sub-bass or both that have more impact with the bass pads.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7,049 of 15,268
Hammy, we traveled a similar path...I started my recent upgrades with the Sennheiser 598. Lighter, thinner, and a better fit for me and I really liked the SE edition in all black. The cables provided were just right. The mids and highs were very good. Unfortunately, the bass both mid-low and low just felt too thin. The music just didn't have the weight I was looking for. That changed with the X2s. I knew immediately these added what was missing from the 598s, I promptly sent back the HD598s. Again, the 598s are very nice headphones and wish I could have also kept them. My only complaint with the X2s is that they are a heavier and they exert a some downward pressure on the bottom of the earpads rather than the pressure being fully spread. I think it has to do with the headband and light elastic adjustment. Not my favorite style but fits good enough and it does feel plush with the included earpads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back