Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6,991 of 15,268
I agree they are brilliant all rounders, they are what sold me on upgrading all my audio kit! Heared quite a few different headphones now and I just find these give just enough of everything without being over done, (use mine for general use with PC games, some films a bit of music etc so I wanted a pair that would be versitile). I ordered mine back in April so looks like I avoided much of the QC issues, if you get a good pair they look incredibly well made. Just make sure you order them from somewhere with a good returns policy in-case you get a dud.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #6,992 of 15,268
  I agree they are brilliant all rounders, they are what sold me on upgrading all my audio kit! Heared quite a few different headphones now and I just find these give just enough of everything without being over done. I ordered mine back in April so looks like I avoided much of the QC issues, if you get a good pair they look incredibly well made. Just make sure you order them from somewhere with a good returns policy in-case you get a dud.

What are the QC issues? 

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #6,993 of 15,268
  What are the QC issues? 

The aluminum "ring" trim piece around the left earcup (near the earpad) sometimes starts to peel off and bulge. It's very minor, but noticeable and I see it pissing off some OCD types. Or whoever believes a brand new $300 headphone shouldn't have issues like that.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #6,995 of 15,268
  oh damn, is there a way to find out before it happens? And is that something that would be covered by warranty? Bought it off a 3rd party amazon seller, idk how the returns are with them

The first pair I had started developing it after about a month. The replacement pair I got had this issue right out of the box. If you had yours for quite some time and it's still not visible, chance is yours will be OK. I think it's just a defective batch on Amazon.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #6,996 of 15,268

The first pair I had started developing it after about a month. The replacement pair I got had this issue right out of the box. If you had yours for quite some time and it's still not visible, chance is yours will be OK. I think it's just a defective batch on Amazon.

Thanks for the info, hopefully since i'm buying from the UK it should be fine

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #6,997 of 15,268
I spent the last 6 months trying to adjust to the 650's veiled sound...yes I said veiled :)
There's a dip around the 8Khz with the 650's that made me want to turn up the treble.
Unfortunately I bought them for the Pono DAP which doesn't have any EQ adjustments.
I just sold the 650's and bought the 600's so now I'm quite happy.

I learned about the X2's with this article.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/pono-player-and-promises-fulfilled#TtVfcZQ70ZYALQgV.97 
He explains a few differences between the X1 and the newer X2.

About the 650's...my guess is people who think they're perfect can either hear higher frequencies better than me or have brighter equipment hooked up.
They're definitely not as neutral as the 600's and the X2 (I assume.)

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #6,999 of 15,268
  I spent the last 6 months trying to adjust to the 650's veiled sound...yes I said veiled :)
There's a dip around the 8Khz with the 650's that made me want to turn up the treble.
Unfortunately I bought them for the Pono DAP which doesn't have any EQ adjustments.
I just sold the 650's and bought the 600's so now I'm quite happy.

I learned about the X2's with this article.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/pono-player-and-promises-fulfilled#TtVfcZQ70ZYALQgV.97 
He explains a few differences between the X1 and the newer X2.

About the 650's...my guess is people who think they're perfect can either hear higher frequencies better than me or have brighter equipment hooked up.
They're definitely not as neutral as the 600's and the X2 (I assume.)

I have the X1, and assuming it's not a wildly different headphone than the X2, like so different you'd never know they were the same line, I'm thinking the X2 is further from neutral than the 650's (I've had those and the 600s). The 650 might be a bit warm and dark, but the 600s and the X's are on the opposite side of things, the 600s are bright-leaning neutral and the X1's are way bassy and lush.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #7,000 of 15,268
If you think the 600's are "bright" what would you call Grados and AKG's?
The 600's are considered one of the most neutral HP's on the market which is why many musicians use them for mixing.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #7,001 of 15,268
The 600's are considered one of the most neutral HP's on the market which is why many musicians use them for mixing.

He didn't say bright. He said "bright-leaning neutral" and I agree. They have a little bit of an edge, I couldn't really use them with anything less than perfectly recorded. X2 is much more forgiving, tbh.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #7,002 of 15,268

Which AKG's? The K712? That has that treble spike but it's also bassier than the 600 (and even the 650) so it sort of evens out. A buddy of mine has the K702's (non Annie) and he does tell me they're pretty bright so they need some EQ'ing to bring the bass up to where he likes.

Grados, to me, sounds like listening to music out of an answering machine. Except for the PS500 I absolutely could not stand them. The RS1 seriously befuddled me.

I loved my 600s but they are pretty edgy at higher volumes and I just had to say goodbye because of that. I listen to a lot of metal and to get it to where the music sounded "full" I would wince sometimes at how piercing it could get. The K712's have their moments (which is why I'm in this thread, I'm curious about getting dem X2's), but they're FAR less fatiguing, especially through a Schiit Vali.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #7,003 of 15,268
X2 is fabulous with metal. Lots of meat on the bones with that low end. Dang, I can't wait to get a new pair back..

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #7,004 of 15,268
Well we hear differently since I still want to turn up the treble slightly on a few recordings with the 600's
Again, the other equipment matters and more importantly the recordings.

I gotta say I missed where others have said Sennheisers lean towards being bright.
Now I really wanna hear the X2's

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #7,005 of 15,268
  Well we hear differently since I still want to turn up the treble slightly on a few recordings with the 600's
Again, the other equipment matters and more importantly the recordings.

I gotta say I missed where others have said Sennheisers lean towards being bright.
Now I really wanna hear the X2's

If you're trying to turn the treble up on the 600s I think you're gonna be drowning in bass with the X2's. That's like using the bass boost on your M100s and then snagging a set of, well, Hd600s.

Again, I confess, I've heard the X1 and not the X2, but so far I am fairly confident that it is not a WILD departure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back