Philips Fidelio X2 Defects on Amazon
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #61 of 250
My advice to anyone who has received pads which are glued on is to seek a replacement.  As I've already said in another thread, the thing that pushed me over the edge was the driver imbalance and having this first-hand chat with Philips' CS:

So.. "may not be legitimate", "may be repaired" and "defective product" put enough doubt in my mind.  If it's a deliberate change in manufacturing then the information hasn't filtered down yet.

Oh, and my non-Amazon pair have been loaded onto the delivery truck tonight... Santa may come just in time!

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #62 of 250
  Just sharing a few facts and thoughts.

Facts..

You can receive either X2/00 or X2/27 and have glued pads.
You can receive either Gibson or WOOX branded phones and have glued pads.
There are at least two different designs of boxes which do not seem to correspond to getting glued pads or not.
If you receive glued on pads, you have received a "defective" (Philips' words, not mine) product and it should be returned.
The metal ring issue is present on the majority of the pairs I have seen.  Look carefully at some pictures people post claiming their pair are "perfect".
FWIW my pair are from Amazon.fr, X2/00, have glued on pads, aluminium ring poking, and an imbalance in the drivers (louder in the right cup).

Thoughts..

If the glue has been put on by accident, what else has been done by accident in relation to the sound quality?  You can only make this judgement for yourself by listening to more than one pair (ideally completely different batch, not glued etc).
If you don't mind a potentially defective pair, grab the $148 Amazon deal.  Not much to risk and you might roll a six.

Glad I got that out of my system... :p

could someone show where they might've seen WOOX branded phones with glued pads? By WOOX branded am I correct in assuming those are the same as the ones that say Imported by P&F USA Inc. ?

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #63 of 250
  could someone show where they might've seen WOOX branded phones with glued pads? By WOOX branded am I correct in assuming those are the same as the ones that say Imported by P&F USA Inc. ?

I have a pair sitting right here.  X2/00 and I'm in Europe (so obviously not Imported to USA... :p).

EDIT: There's at least some reports on Amazon of WOOX X2/27 in USA having glued pads.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #64 of 250
I have Woox on the headband and it says Gibson on the box (I live in the US). The pads had glue on them.

Sadly I've decided to give up and return them. I paid $300 and these QC issues are unacceptable. I also have the ring issue and now the screw holding the cup to the clamp creaks.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #65 of 250
I have Woox on the headband and it says Gibson on the box (I live in the US). The pads had glue on them.

Sadly I've decided to give up and return them. I paid $300 and these QC issues are unacceptable. I also have the ring issue and now the screw holding the cup to the clamp creaks.

Sorry to hear that, but I think you made the right decision.  $300 is a lot when you could save $160 and buy one of the Amazon warehouse deals and get the same glued pads.

If you like the sound signature maybe try again in a few months when things have settled down.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #66 of 250
I'm a little unsure as to what to do here.

- My box says "Imported by P&F USA Inc" and "2014 (c)WOOX Innovations", and X2/27
- My cup rings were sticking out slightly in spots
- My pads are glued
- They sound fine, no channel imbalance, but I have never heard this headphone before

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #67 of 250
Sorry to hear that, but I think you made the right decision.  $300 is a lot when you could save $160 and buy one of the Amazon warehouse deals and get the same glued pads.

If you like the sound signature maybe try again in a few months when things have settled down.

Thanks....it's a shame because I liked the sound a lot. Maybe I'll just wait for the next version.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #68 of 250
Someone on slickdeals said:

"I bought 2 pair of 2x,one from Amazon( amazon sale) and one from Walmart. I just received one from Walmart just right now. Totally look and
feel different. The one from Walmart feel more premium and the pad indeed removable. 

I actually love the Amazon unit untill i found out the problem with the unit. Now that i got the x2 from Walmart i love it even more. The feel of the earcup feel so soft unlike the Amazon unit. Walmart unit sound much louder and clearer(using note 4).
Ps: even outside box look and feel more premium."

I wonder if there really is a sound difference.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #69 of 250
After listening to my new X2, I can say that aside from the glue, these are the same exact headphones I owned months ago.

Edit:  Well this is interesting.  It seems that the underside of the leather headband is peeling.  I don't recall my earlier ones having a separate strip on the underside of the leather headband.  Can anyone with an earlier model confirm or deny?

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #70 of 250
I just returned them today. It seems like these QC issues are not isolated incidents and more widespread than I care to know at this point.

I can't take a chance anymore on getting an earlier model, Gibson, Woox etc. The one constant here is inconsistency it seems. Goodbye X2 members club.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #72 of 250
Philips is aware of the issue and is replacing them no questions asked.

You will need your serial number which is hidden under the right ear pad.

I posted more detail on Reddit - I'm on mobile now, but I put my experience there.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #73 of 250
  After listening to my new X2, I can say that aside from the glue, these are the same exact headphones I owned months ago.

Edit:  Well this is interesting.  It seems that the underside of the leather headband is peeling.  I don't recall my earlier ones having a separate strip on the underside of the leather headband.  Can anyone with an earlier model confirm or deny?

Looking at the pic on Amazon, it looks like the leather on the headband is folded over with a seam in the middle. No separate strip, probably made a design change (ill advised?) somewhere down the line. I'd wait for other owners to chime in though…

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #74 of 250
  Looking at the pic on Amazon, it looks like the leather on the headband is folded over with a seam in the middle. No separate strip, probably made a design change (ill advised?) somewhere down the line. I'd wait for other owners to chime in though…

Which picture are you looking at exactly?  FWIW my recent pair has a pretty obvious looking, badly glued down strip in the middle.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #75 of 250
ok, finally received my X2s today from the $200 sale, and yes glued pads... bummer. Also, it looks like the center of my drivers are not red, as the images on the box seems to show, instead they just have a red ring around the center like some of phillips's other headphones. huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back