Philips Fidelio X2 Defects on Amazon
Dec 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #47 of 250
I thought you could stick some other branded pads on?

One that I know of. The glue isn't stopping anyone from removing the pads, just makes it a little tougher. When you first get your X2s, take the pads off. If the pads rip, send them back for replacement. If not, your good. Use some goo gone to get rid of the residue on the poles the pads slide onto if it bothers you.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #48 of 250
I guess I might be the lucky one. I ordered one during the 199 USD period and the pads aren't glued on.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #49 of 250
One that I know of. The glue isn't stopping anyone from removing the pads, just makes it a little tougher. When you first get your X2s, take the pads off. If the pads rip, send them back for replacement. If not, your good. Use some goo gone to get rid of the residue on the poles the pads slide onto if it bothers you.

yeah mine ripped... replacement here we go. I think my sound was fine though. Bummer.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #50 of 250
Since different pads are not available, is it needed to remove the pads?  Maybe for washing?  Could they have changed the design and are intentionally gluing the pads on?   If so, they could challenge returns ripped pads.  

One other question.  There are branded by Philips but sounds like they are made or sold by a different company?  Gibbson?  Does this other company just make them for Philips or is it just designed by Philips?  Interesting.  Thanks. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #51 of 250
  Since different pads are not available, is it needed to remove the pads?  Maybe for washing?  Could they have changed the design and are intentionally gluing the pads on?   If so, they could challenge returns ripped pads.  

One other question.  There are branded by Philips but sounds like they are made or sold by a different company?  Gibbson?  Does this other company just make them for Philips or is it just designed by Philips?  Interesting.  Thanks. 

Sure there are different pads available - HM5 velour/pleather and Bass Plus pads (eBay).  They could have changed the design, but they haven't informed their CS team or updated any of the specifications (online or in my manual).  Much more likely IMO is that a mistake was made somewhere along the production line.

I have always assumed Philips designed the headphones and they outsource production to another company/division - willing to be proven wrong on that, though.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #52 of 250
How hard to you have to pull to get good pads (without glue) off?  I'm pulling gingerly because I'm scared to ruin this pair.  Do they "pop" off? 

Visually mine looks really good - dark velour pads, no silver gaps in the rings, they sound good to me, etc.  I want to know if mine are glued but I'm also worried about tearing pads I wouldn't take off for any other reason.  Is Amazon replacing defective units?  I do not want a $199 refund when they now go for $249 it would have to be a guaranteed replacement for me to risk it.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #53 of 250
  How hard to you have to pull to get good pads (without glue) off?  I'm pulling gingerly because I'm scared to ruin this pair.  Do they "pop" off? 

Visually mine looks really good - dark velour pads, no silver gaps in the rings, they sound good to me, etc.  I want to know if mine are glued but I'm also worried about tearing pads I wouldn't take off for any other reason.  Is Amazon replacing defective units?  I do not want a $199 refund when they now go for $249 it would have to be a guaranteed replacement for me to risk it.

They come right off.  Mine that were not glued almost fall of. Takes very little effort anyways.  Yours must be glued.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #55 of 250

OK yeah, dang.  They are otherwise perfect from what I can tell.  Maybe I'll let all the dust settle and keep enjoying them as-is for now.

Sounds like the right thing to do.  There's really is no reason to remove the pads unless you need to wash them or replace them.  That should be a long time down the road.  Enjoy!!

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #56 of 250

Sounds like the right thing to do.  There's really is no reason to remove the pads unless you need to wash them or replace them.  That should be a long time down the road.  Enjoy!!

Agreed.  Just need to make sure I get them replaced before that time expires.  I'm assuming this glue defect will be acceptable for the full 1 year of the warranty.  I'm sure I'll get a twitchy trigger finger when my 30 days at Amazon comes close though!  :)

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #57 of 250
I'd be careful with regard to removing the pads. You never know when Amazon/Philips will announce the they're supposed to be glued and ripped pads won't be covered anymore.
If they sound good and don't have pieces falling off, I'd say just enjoy them - you still have a 1 yr. warranty
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #58 of 250
  I'd be careful with regard to removing the pads. You never know when Amazon/Philips will announce the they're supposed to be glued and ripped pads won't be covered anymore.
If they sound good and don't have pieces falling off, I'd say just enjoy them - you still have a 1 yr. warranty
wink.gif

I think its worth it to get it replaced if yours are glued. Mine ripped when i tried removing it. I like the piece of mind that if  I want to replace them in the future, I have the option. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #59 of 250
  I think its worth it to get it replaced if yours are glued. Mine ripped when i tried removing it. I like the piece of mind that if  I want to replace them in the future, I have the option. 

I think I'll wait a week or two and see if everyone's replacements are also glued or not.  Did you go through Amazon or Phillips for the replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back