Philips Fidelio X2 Defects on Amazon
Dec 22, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #76 of 250

Which picture are you looking at exactly?  FWIW my recent pair has a pretty obvious looking, badly glued down strip in the middle.

The picture on the sale page. If you hover the mouse pointer over it it'll give a magnified view. The headband is different than mine, which seems like yours, but isn't falling apart

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #77 of 250
I need some help. Trying to think back to my first X2 I bought from Amazon in February. I believe the metal ring that holds the cups to the headband was solid. This one is very thin. Anyone have an older model to compare?

I am kicking myself in the ***** for selling my first pair. They were absolutely perfect! I use them primarily for gaming. But they are also nice for quiet listening. The bass is so present even at low volumes.

Edit: I looked through old pics and found my first pair. They look the same.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #78 of 250
Just received my second pair (non-Amazon source) and they are made by Gibson.  So now I have one pair from Amazon made by WOOX and one non-Amazon pair made by Gibson.

The aluminium rings are a little better on the Gibson pair but the outer headband strip is much more poorly finished.  They both have glued on pads.  The writing on both pairs is quite different, as is the overall colour.  WOOX the metal is much more matte/duller and the writing is yellowish, Gibson is darker/shinier metal with whiter writing.  No idea what this means, just observations.

Haven't had chance to plug the Gibsons in yet, but I'll do a sound comparison later and post pictures of both pairs if anyone is interested.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #80 of 250
Hi, 
I received my replacement headphones from amazon today. I live in nj and mine got shipped from nj warehouse. It has glued earcups. Should i ask for replacement again. 

Dont know how long i have to do this game. 

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #81 of 250
You'll have to take my non-audiophile word for this, but I'm now convinced there are at least two different versions of the X2.  My WOOX and Gibson pairs sound far too different to be considered the same sound signature.  Disclaimer being that my WOOX pair have a 3-4db imbalance in favour of the right cup aswell as having about 30~ hours on them.

WOOX pair the vocals are more forward and the whole signature is quite bright in comparison to the Gibson, which almost sounds like I have a bass boost switched on when listening.  The mids are recessed and the whole signature is way darker than the WOOX - "it's not even close", as they say.  It's more difficult for me to make an assessment on the soundstage or seperation because of the driver imbalance in the WOOX pair, but I think it's at least pretty close.

I'm not saying one is technically worse than the other, because I don't know, but take into consideration which version you have when commenting or reading into the statements of others.  I can totally now see why some (WOOXers) say these are sometimes shrill or Gibsoners say the bass bleeds into the midrange.  I'm also assuming most of the early reviews of this headphone were the WOOX version.

I will stick my neck out here and say I prefer the Gibson pair myself.. but it'd sure be interesting to hear a WOOX pair with no imbalance.  If you believe in burn-in then disregard everything I just said.

Hope someone finds this useful and it'd be great to hear from someone else who can A/B the two 'phones.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #82 of 250
  You'll have to take my non-audiophile word for this, but I'm now convinced there are at least two different versions of the X2.  My WOOX and Gibson pairs sound far too different to be considered the same sound signature.  Disclaimer being that my WOOX pair have a 3-4db imbalance in favour of the right cup aswell as having about 30~ hours on them.

WOOX pair the vocals are more forward and the whole signature is quite bright in comparison to the Gibson, which almost sounds like I have a bass boost switched on when listening.  The mids are recessed and the whole signature is way darker than the WOOX - "it's not even close", as they say.  It's more difficult for me to make an assessment on the soundstage or seperation because of the driver imbalance in the WOOX pair, but I think it's at least pretty close.

I'm not saying one is technically worse than the other, because I don't know, but take into consideration which version you have when commenting or reading into the statements of others.  I can totally now see why some (WOOXers) say these are sometimes shrill or Gibsoners say the bass bleeds into the midrange.  I'm also assuming most of the early reviews of this headphone were the WOOX version.

I will stick my neck out here and say I prefer the Gibson pair myself.. but it'd sure be interesting to hear a WOOX pair with no imbalance.  If you believe in burn-in then disregard everything I just said.

Hope someone finds this useful and it'd be great to hear from someone else who can A/B the two 'phones.

I have a Woox version that sounds excellent, is glued/has a trim issue, and has a slight imbalance with the right side louder.  The first pair I got from the Amazon sale must have been a Gibson because the bass was sloppier to my ears, while this set sounds absolutely great except for the slight imbalance.  I have to move my slider to the left 1 tick on my computer for it to be balanced.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #83 of 250
  I have a Woox version that sounds excellent, is glued/has a trim issue, and has a slight imbalance with the right side louder.  The first pair I got from the Amazon sale must have been a Gibson because the bass was sloppier to my ears, while this set sounds absolutely great except for the slight imbalance.  I have to move my slider to the left 1 tick on my computer for it to be balanced.

Thanks - sloppier is probably the word I was looking for.  It gives the impression of more quantity but yeah, it's not as tight.  Good tip with the slider too, I'd forgotten you can do that.. 1-2 clicks centers my WOOX pair.  I can't keep them with such an obvious problem though, resale value plummits and I'm the honest type.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #84 of 250

Thanks - sloppier is probably the word I was looking for.  It gives the impression of more quantity but yeah, it's not as tight.  Good tip with the slider too, I'd forgotten you can do that.. 1-2 clicks centers my WOOX pair.  I can't keep them with such an obvious problem though, resale value plummits and I'm the honest type.

Have you tried swapping cables between your pairs to see if there's still the same balance on both pairs?  If the imbalance switches then the cables would be at fault for sure.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #85 of 250
  Have you tried swapping cables between your pairs to see if there's still the same balance on both pairs?  If the imbalance switches then the cables would be at fault for sure.

Using the same cable on both.

EDIT: Also tried a shorter cable on the WOOX a few days ago and the imbalance was still there.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #89 of 250
I can definitely confirm that there are different sounding X2s... I just wish I took a picture of the box of the first Amazon sale pair I had because I don't know which that one was, but I'm assuming it was Gibson branded.  My current Woox branded one sounds much better because the bass doesn't sound sloppy.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #90 of 250
I can definitely confirm that there are different sounding X2s... I just wish I took a picture of the box of the first Amazon sale pair I had because I don't know which that one was, but I'm assuming it was Gibson branded.  My current Woox branded one sounds much better because the bass doesn't sound sloppy.

I haven't heard my original X2 in months, so I'll take your word for it.

Back to amazon these go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back