Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Jan 20, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #736 of 1,061
I do totally agree on the burn in transformation. Mine had a boomy bass and recessed mids that almost had me return them. After 150 hours of burn in, the mids opened up significantly, and bass is more controlled now. I do love these. Anyone who doesnt like them in the beginning for the above reasons, plz give them a chance.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #737 of 1,061
Just wanted to share this:
I bought a pair of the Philips Fidelio x2, and received them Saturday, and have been burning them in ever since.
Not very impressed with their sonics at first...
Boomy bass, recessed mids, and sort of uneven, or even "scratchy" sounding treble out of the box, but the impressive soundstaging, bass power, openness, build quality, and comfort were too impressive to just give up on them, so I decided to burn them in...
MUCH BETTER last night.
The bass boominess has subsided substantially, the mids are more forward, and the highs have really improved. They have also opened up even more, and the sound is overall stunning.
These are extremely impressive headphones! These are keepers for sure.
They do a few things better than my HD600/650 headphones.
Deeper and more defined sub bass without a doubt, better, and wider soundstage, better treble extension than HD650. Very lively and open sounding. Not boring at all.
They sort of remind me of a HD650 on steroids. Lol.
I'm still keeping the HD650, cause I love their instrumental tone, and lack of grain in the treble, plus I am getting a Schiit Valhalla 2 to drive them with, and have Stefan Audio Art E-Series cable for them on order.
Another thing...to my own ears, even though I love the overall sonic signature and overall naturalness of the HD600, I find a slightly annoying peakiness between 3k and 4k, and their sub bass leaves a little to be desired.
The X2 sounds smoother and better balanced in the 3k to 4k region than the 600, and has substantially more extended and powerful bass, and more impressive soundstaging, imho.
Contrary to others, I feel that the 600 actually has a grainier and fuzzier sounding treble than the x2, even though the 600 has just as good, or maybe even slightly better extension in the very top octave?
I also bought a pair of HD800's about a month ago, used them for about a week, but returned them, due to their "hotness" around 6khz, and slight lack of musicality. They also seemed to have some sort of phasing issue that I cannot quite put my finger on.
Don't get me wrong, they did some things really spectacular such as soundstaging, detail retrieval, sense of scale, and image seperation, but I could not live with their other slight flaws, nor the fact that I paid almost $1,500.00 for them. Way too steep, imho.
I also tryed out a touring pair of HiFiman HE-560's, and in the past, a pair of Audeze LCD v.2, as well. I loved their sound, and their supreme bass extension and power, but there is something about planar magnetics that doesn't suit my tastes as well as dynamic drivers do.
The planars seem to suffer from some slight dynamic compression, sort of diffuse sound, and/or something else that is slightly amiss to my own ears, and personal tastes compared to the dynamic drivers.
I actually personally prefer the X2 overall to the HD800, HD600, LCD 2 v.2, and HE-560 by a small margin.
The HD650 and X2 are a virtual toss up to me, but I am currently reaching for the X2 more often!
The X2 isn't perfect by any stretch, the treble region can sometimes, (very rarely), sound a touch artificial, not quite refined as I would consider ideal, there seems to be a slight midrange depression, and sometimes seems to lacks ultimate extension on top, but I do believe that overall, they do suit my own sonic tastes to almost a T, and their strengths more than outweigh their slight flaws to my ears.
I honestly feel that they are at least 90% as good as the top tier headphones I have tried, no joke.
They are also very well built, solid, easy to drive,and very comfortable.
If Philips ever decides to do an all out assault and research and develop a true top end headphone, Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyer, AKG, and others better be ready!
I would recommend these without hesitation, but they do need alittle burn in to start sounding their best.
Don't give up on them!

Totally agree on everything!!! Same impressions and burn in experiences, same thoughts about HD800s and HD600s!

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #739 of 1,061
Never really noticed any difference on other headphones with burn in, including the AKG K701/Q701, HD600/650, HIFIMAN HE-560, all of which I burned in, and the AKG's for over 300 hours, with little to no improvement like others claim.
These X2's almost literally destroy the AKGs, sonically, by the way, Imho!
I never could live with the AKG's somewhat thin, peaky 2khz/7khz, sort of plasticy sound, which also skewed the bass, made it sound alittle too bass light, and at the same time, I felt the very top end on the AKG's was actually sort of rolled off, regardless of what others have said about their treble extension...look at the Headroom graphs as well, they show exactly what I heard on the AKG's very well indeed.
Yeah, I was actually beginning to believe the burn in is a myth thing until these X2's came along.
These things REALLY DO IMPROVE, and it's not my imagination. My spouse agrees with my assessment as well.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #740 of 1,061
Never really noticed any difference on other headphones with burn in, including the AKG K701/Q701, HD600/650, HIFIMAN HE-560, all of which I burned in, and the AKG's for over 300 hours, with little to no improvement like others claim.
These X2's almost literally destroy the AKGs, sonically, by the way, Imho!
Was beginning to believe the burn in is a myth thing until these came along.
These things REALLY DO IMPROVE, and it's not my imagination. My spouse agrees with my assessment as well.

Same here!

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #744 of 1,061
I am happy to see similar findings about burn-in from other X2 users. First page had a guide for burn-in periods and sonic changes :wink:

I will put links to your posts as well in the FP when I get back on PC. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #745 of 1,061
Which post?
I couldn't find it.

review is in my signature

I am happy to see similar findings about burn-in from other X2 users. First page had a guide for burn-in periods and sonic changes
wink.gif

I will put links to your posts as well in the FP when I get back on PC. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #747 of 1,061
Just wanted to share this:
I bought a pair of the Philips Fidelio x2, and received them Saturday, and have been burning them in ever since.
Not very impressed with their sonics at first...
Boomy bass, recessed mids, and sort of uneven, or even "scratchy" sounding treble out of the box, but the impressive soundstaging, bass power, openness, build quality, and comfort were too impressive to just give up on them, so I decided to burn them in...
MUCH BETTER last night.

The bass boominess has subsided substantially, the mids are more forward, and the highs have really improved. They have also opened up even more, and the sound is overall stunning.
These are extremely impressive headphones! These are keepers for sure.
They do a few things better than my HD600/650 headphones.
Deeper and more defined sub bass without a doubt, better, and wider soundstage, better treble extension than HD650. Very lively and open sounding. Not boring at all.
They sort of remind me of a HD650 on steroids. Lol.
I'm still keeping the HD650, cause I love their instrumental tone, and lack of grain in the treble, They are also very well built, solid, easy to drive, very reasonably priced for what they offer, sonically, and build-wise, and very comfortable.
If Philips ever decides to do an all out assault on headphones, and researches, develops, and releases a true top end headphone, Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyer, AKG, and others had better be ready!
I would recommend these without hesitation, but they do need alittle burn in to start sounding their best.
Don't give up on them!

Nice impressions and thanks for sharing them! We are very much on the same page about these.

*they need considerable burn in 150-200 hours IMO

*I'm also keeping both the 650 and x2 also, but I'd put the 650 slightly ahead because of the important I place on tone and vocals which is the 650's crown jewel

*I'd love to see Philips come out with a true flagship OR just address a few issues with the x2, which would include (for me):

-dual exit cable
-redesigned headband
-slightly better tone in the mid range

And that's about it. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #748 of 1,061
I'm practically sold on this X2 specially after reading @Baycode Review (Thank you btw), as my current AKG 7XX with it's rattle have completely turned me off from AKG brand all together (Awaiting Reply from MD to return this HP) once that return goes through I can look into getting the X2. 

I will like to ask the forum how do you Burn In a new pair of HP. \

Do you just let your regular playlist "On" for hours on a loop or do you use a special audio file to get the most of the burn in time?

Thank you for any input...

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #749 of 1,061

I will like to ask the forum how do you Burn In a new pair of HP. \

Do you just let your regular playlist "On" for hours on a loop or do you use a special audio file to get the most of the burn in time?

Thank you for any input...

Just play anything you listen to. It's all the same thing -- just an audio signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back