Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Jan 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #723 of 1,061
aha yes, thanks....I just read all the comments regarding an X2 - L2 comparison...seems like there is nothing conclusive about which is better.

I would probably need to try both and compare but have just ordered an X2 from Amazon.it at a really good price...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #724 of 1,061
aha yes, thanks....I just read all the comments regarding an X2 - L2 comparison...seems like there is nothing conclusive about which is better.

I've found that focusing more on specific sound signature differences between mid and higher end headphones when reading comparisons or auditioning is more likely to get me to a set I'm happy with. "Better" is really in the ears and mind of the listener...

:wink:

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #725 of 1,061
So apparently Amazon allows returns of exchanged items, so I'll be returning my X2. Some upper mids were just way too pronounced and I couldn't enjoy a large part of my music. What I did really like, though, was that the X2 does mellow music really well. I'll just wait for a HD600 sale and buy a dragonfly.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #726 of 1,061
I wrote a short comparison of a few hp's including the x2 and thought that I'd post it here. 

Okay, I feel that the x2 has settled into the final signature for the most part. Here's a few thoughts on the hp's that you mentioned:

hd650: 

*fantastic mids and tone-voices and instruments are strikingly realistic and musical

*although the treble is not as pronounced as some, this headphone does resolve the music very well...and offered a nicely layered presentation when a good amp is imployed

*there is more mid bass than true sub bass; this is referred to as a mid bass hump. IMO this is not necessarily a short coming because it tends to give the music a little life and punch and works well within the constructs of what the 650 sets out to accomplish

*average sound stage

*does well with nearly any genre excluding classical

*wonderfully comfortable and rugged built quality despite the plastic materials

he400:

*truly supreme sub bass; the bass here is audiophile quality with texture and finesse...not just one note bass by any means.  And the bass quality competes with hp's costing $1k+ (lcd2.2)

*the mids are somewhat recessed and not tonally correct

*treble is peaky and fatiguing 

*somewhat heavy at 440 grams

he400i/he500:

*I lump these two together because they are voiced very very similarly

*very balanced across the spectrum. 

*treble is slightly dark for a hifiman hp but not compared to most others

*nice deep sub bass with impressive extension

*both hp's have planar mag speed and decay and will make dynamic driver hp's (hd650) sound slow in comparison

*mids are balanced to the rest of the spectrum and tonally accurate

*the 500 trumps the 400i on sound stage

Overall I'd rate the he500 slightly ahead of the 400i on refinement of the signature but they are very close. I'd tend to choose the 400i because of the newer more comfortable design and greatly reduced weight. 

And finally...

x2:

*out of the box the x2 has a mild "u" shaped frequency with punched up bass and treble. This is alleviated about 90% after about 150 hours of burn in where the signature becomes mostly balanced 

*amps incredibly easy with any gear, but tube amps will make the x2 overly warm 

*the sub bass tightens up after the burn and sounds like a pair of expensive subwoofers in a well treated room...never too boomy or loose. The bass also responds well to the recording in a linear fashion, giving you more when it recording calls for it and less when it doesn't 

*the mids are good and have decent tone if not somewhat grainy especially when compared to the hd650

*treble has good extension but is not harsh or strident once burned in

*much better than average sound stage

*wonderfully comfortable and ergonomic memory foam ear pads

*build quality is tank-like but with a dash of sophistication...nice metal construction with leather appointments. The headband is large and garish looking

*I'd compare the x2 to another hp not mentioned so far, the he560. You might consider them a dynamic driver version of the he560. While the x2 does not equal the 560 it certainly gets you in the neighborhood and for a lot less money

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #727 of 1,061
I wrote a short comparison of a few hp's including the x2 and thought that I'd post it here. 

Okay, I feel that the x2 has settled into the final signature for the most part. Here's a few thoughts on the hp's that you mentioned:

hd650: 

*fantastic mids and tone-voices and instruments are strikingly realistic and musical

*although the treble is not as pronounced as some, this headphone does resolve the music very well...and offered a nicely layered presentation when a good amp is imployed

*there is more mid bass than true sub bass; this is referred to as a mid bass hump. IMO this is not necessarily a short coming because it tends to give the music a little life and punch and works well within the constructs of what the 650 sets out to accomplish

*average sound stage

*does well with nearly any genre excluding classical

*wonderfully comfortable and rugged built quality despite the plastic materials

he400:

*truly supreme sub bass; the bass here is audiophile quality with texture and finesse...not just one note bass by any means.  And the bass quality competes with hp's costing $1k+ (lcd2.2)

*the mids are somewhat recessed and not tonally correct

*treble is peaky and fatiguing 

*somewhat heavy at 440 grams

he400i/he500:

*I lump these two together because they are voiced very very similarly

*very balanced across the spectrum. 

*treble is slightly dark for a hifiman hp but not compared to most others

*nice deep sub bass with impressive extension

*both hp's have planar mag speed and decay and will make dynamic driver hp's (hd650) sound slow in comparison

*mids are balanced to the rest of the spectrum and tonally accurate

*the 500 trumps the 400i on sound stage

Overall I'd rate the he500 slightly ahead of the 400i on refinement of the signature but they are very close. I'd tend to choose the 400i because of the newer more comfortable design and greatly reduced weight. 

And finally...

x2:

*out of the box the x2 has a mild "u" shaped frequency with punched up bass and treble. This is alleviated about 90% after about 150 hours of burn in where the signature becomes mostly balanced 

*amps incredibly easy with any gear, but tube amps will make the x2 overly warm 

*the sub bass tightens up after the burn and sounds like a pair of expensive subwoofers in a well treated room...never too boomy or loose. The bass also responds well to the recording in a linear fashion, giving you more when it recording calls for it and less when it doesn't 

*the mids are good and have decent tone if not somewhat grainy especially when compared to the hd650

*treble has good extension but is not harsh or strident once burned in

*much better than average sound stage

*wonderfully comfortable and ergonomic memory foam ear pads

*build quality is tank-like but with a dash of sophistication...nice metal construction with leather appointments. The headband is large and garish looking

*I'd compare the x2 to another hp not mentioned so far, the he560. You might consider them a dynamic driver version of the he560. While the x2 does not equal the 560 it certainly gets you in the neighborhood and for a lot less money

Well written, informative comparos, thx for share :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #729 of 1,061
I just spent the past hour or so listening with the x2 to Mark Knopfler: Privateering 24/96. I've listened to this album 50+ times. This may have been the most I've ever enjoyed it. I loved the sense of space on this album on the x2, especially when Mark is playing the acoustic guitar. I spent much of my youth listening to my dad and his friends playing acoustic guitar...or "picking" as they call it. All those years have trained me to listen to the tone and timbre of the guitar and I have a fairly good sense of when it sounds natural and doesn't. 

The bass presence on this well recording album is spot on. Not overpowering but visceral and present. The x2 reproduces the bass wonderfully. Just smooth and tight. I love how the bass hits on this hp. It doesn't bleed into the mids but stays accurate and punchy. 

Give this recording a listen if it's not on your playlist already. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #730 of 1,061
I just spent the past hour or so listening with the x2 to Mark Knopfler: Privateering 24/96. I've listened to this album 50+ times. This may have been the most I've ever enjoyed it. I loved the sense of space on this album on the x2, especially when Mark is playing the acoustic guitar. I spent much of my youth listening to my dad and his friends playing acoustic guitar...or "picking" as they call it. All those years have trained me to listen to the tone and timbre of the guitar and I have a fairly good sense of when it sounds natural and doesn't. 

The bass presence on this well recording album is spot on. Not overpowering but visceral and present. The x2 reproduces the bass wonderfully. Just smooth and tight. I love how the bass hits on this hp. It doesn't bleed into the mids but stays accurate and punchy. 

Would you recommend these over the HE-400s?

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #731 of 1,061

Would you recommend these over the HE-400s?

In a word, yes. In two words, hell yes. In a whole bunch of words, read the mid fi comparison above. 
wink.gif
  I find that the x2 is better than the he400 in every way IMO. The only trump card that the 400 is that luscious planar sub bass. But the mids are off and the treble is spikey for sure. And yes I do know that there are mods are EQ to fix that ( please check the OP to the he400 thread ). 

The x2 has the complete package and is an audiophile's hp. The price to performance ratio is impressive. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #732 of 1,061

In a word, yes. In two words, hell yes. In a whole bunch of words, read the mid fi comparison above. 
wink.gif
  I find that the x2 is better than the he400 in every way IMO. The only trump card that the 400 is that luscious planar sub bass. But the mids are off and the treble is spikey for sure. And yes I do know that there are mods are EQ to fix that ( please check the OP to the he400 thread ). 

The x2 has the complete package and is an audiophile's hp. The price to performance ratio is impressive. 

Ok. Thanks for answering.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #733 of 1,061
MattTCG
i own the X2 and love them. My friend auditioned them and found them a bit too warm for their liking. She is trying to find a replacement for the X2 that is a bit brighter. Will the 400i fit the bill?
is it easy to drive like the X2?
and one last question
sonically, what does the X2 do better than the 400i? And also, what does the 400i do better than the X2?
your answer is much appreciated. Thanx!

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #734 of 1,061
Oh
Plz if u respond
Compare these aspects as well

Bass
Vocals (which one has closer vocals?)
Treble ( which one has more pronounced treble)
Soundstage ( which one is bigger)
Tonality (is the 400i brighter)

And one last question
The X2 is a $300 headphone, if u were to put a fair price for the 400i accordingly, how much wd it be?
Thanx a lot!!

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #735 of 1,061
Just wanted to share this:
I bought a pair of the Philips Fidelio x2, and received them Saturday, and have been burning them in ever since.
Not very impressed with their sonics at first...
Boomy bass, recessed mids, and sort of uneven, or even "scratchy" sounding treble out of the box, but the impressive soundstaging, bass power, openness, build quality, and comfort were too impressive to just give up on them, so I decided to burn them in...
MUCH BETTER last night.
The bass boominess has subsided substantially, the mids are more forward, and the highs have really improved. They have also opened up even more, and the sound is overall stunning.
These are extremely impressive headphones! These are keepers for sure.
They do a few things better than my HD600/650 headphones.
Deeper and more defined sub bass without a doubt, better, and wider soundstage, better treble extension than HD650. Very lively and open sounding. Not boring at all.
They sort of remind me of a HD650 on steroids. Lol.
I'm still keeping the HD650, cause I love their instrumental tone, and lack of grain in the treble, plus I am getting a Schiit Valhalla 2 to drive them with, and have Stefan Audio Art E-Series cable for them on order.
Another thing...to my own ears, even though I love the overall sonic signature and overall naturalness of the HD600, I find a slightly annoying peakiness between 3k and 4k, and their sub bass leaves a little to be desired.
The X2 sounds smoother and better balanced in the 3k to 4k region than the 600, and has substantially more extended and powerful bass, and more impressive soundstaging, imho.
Contrary to others, I feel that the 600 actually has a grainier and fuzzier sounding treble than the x2, even though the 600 has just as good, or maybe even slightly better extension in the very top octave?
I also bought a pair of HD800's about a month ago, used them for about a week, but returned them, due to their "hotness" around 6khz, and slight lack of musicality. They also seemed to have some sort of phasing issue that I cannot quite put my finger on.
Don't get me wrong, they did some things really spectacular such as soundstaging, detail retrieval, sense of scale, and image seperation, but I could not live with their other slight flaws, nor the fact that I paid almost $1,500.00 for them. Way too steep, imho.
I also tryed out a touring pair of HiFiman HE-560's, and in the past, a pair of Audeze LCD v.2, as well. I loved their sound, and their supreme bass extension and power, but there is something about planar magnetics that doesn't suit my tastes as well as dynamic drivers do.
The planars seem to suffer from some slight dynamic compression, sort of diffuse sound, and/or something else that is slightly amiss to my own ears, and personal tastes compared to the dynamic drivers.
I actually personally prefer the X2 overall to the HD800, HD600, LCD 2 v.2, and HE-560 by a small margin.
The HD650 and X2 are a virtual toss up to me, but I am currently reaching for the X2 more often!
The X2 isn't perfect by any stretch, the treble region can sometimes, (very rarely), sound a touch artificial, not quite refined as I would consider ideal, there seems to be a slight midrange depression, and sometimes the X2 seems to lack ultimate extension on top, but I do believe that overall, they do suit my own sonic tastes to almost a T, and their strengths more than outweigh their slight flaws to my ears.
I honestly feel that they are at least 90% as good as the top tier headphones I have tried, no joke.
They are also very well built, solid, easy to drive, very reasonably priced for what they offer, sonically, and build-wise, and very comfortable.
If Philips ever decides to do an all out assault on headphones, and researches, develops, and releases a true top end headphone, Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyer, AKG, and others had better be ready!
I would recommend these without hesitation, but they do need alittle burn in to start sounding their best.
Don't give up on them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back