Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Jan 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #617 of 1,061
  Does the X2 have good detail? im looking for a detailed headphone and was thinking of getting either this headphone or the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro which ive heard has very good detail so much so that people hear things that they havent heard in a song before which they thought they knew back to front.

i saw some users that said the X2 have lower stage than 990

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #619 of 1,061
X2 has gobs of detail, with excellent imaging, layering, and soundstage width and depth. Check out headfonia's review. http://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-x2-evolution-sound/

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #621 of 1,061
I may have found the answer to my own question while reading the article mentioned above:

"It simply is an excellent headphone that will be hard not to like sound wise. I can see people enjoying this headphone more than the good old Sennheiser HD600. Everyone always compares these 2 models and it’s only normal once you’ve heard both. The X2 however to me is more balanced, has softer treble and delivers a great sound stage while keeping the open sound. And you don’t need any amplification at all to make it sound its best, unlike the HD600. I have to admit I prefer the X2 over the HD600 as well. The HD650, together with this X2, are my two main headphones I use at the office and while I really can’t say a lot of bad about the X2, I in the end do mostly end up using the HD650 while working. It’s just more for me, I find it more comfortable and I do look less ridiculous with it on my head (I have a window in my personal office)."

headphonia

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #622 of 1,061
After doing some research, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an X2!  This is my first "real" headphone purchase, so I'm excited.  Thanks for the informative review Baycode; it's done a lot to push me in this direction. 
biggrin.gif

I will probably need a slightly longer cable, as my couch is about 9' away from my receiver.  I'm new to phones so I want to make sure I don't buy something that will bottleneck the sound quality.  What should I look for in a 12-15' cable?  Source will be the headphone port of a Marantz SR7005, so amp power shouldn't be an issue, although it sounds like that isn't generally an issue for the X2 anyway.

I'll order a shorter cable too while I'm at it, for iPod/Nintendo 3DS use. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway these phones seem perfect for my needs.  I've been looking for a functional alternative to my roomy 7.1 home theater setup, since my landlord has requested that I turn the subwoofer off completely while he's home. 
frown.gif
  So I wanted to achieve the best combination of soundstage + bass.  Speaking of soundstage, I keep reading about how "wide" the X2 feels.  Is the depth pretty good as well?  It sounds like the overall positioning is supposed to be great, I'd just like to hear a little more regarding the depth.  My main usage will be blu-ray movies and video games, so I'm looking for good simulation of surround/rears.  Thanks everybody!

EDIT: lo and behold, there was actually a comment about the depth posted since the last time I checked the thread! 
tongue.gif

X2 has gobs of detail, with excellent imaging, layering, and soundstage width and depth. Check out headfonia's review. http://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-x2-evolution-sound/

Well that bodes well.  More comments are welcome!

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #623 of 1,061
  Does the X2 have good detail? im looking for a detailed headphone and was thinking of getting either this headphone or the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro which ive heard has very good detail so much so that people hear things that they havent heard in a song before which they thought they knew back to front.

If you want detail take a look at Fidelio L2.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #624 of 1,061
I'm very much debating on whether to buy the AKG K712's or the Phillips Fidelio X2's 

I live in Australia and the K712's RRP is AU$599 however if  I were to buy a grey imported pair it would only cost AU$299. Although the price is exceptional the catch is, is that you won't get a genuine warranty with AKG. You'll either have no warranty at all or have a third party warranty. 

On the other hand if I buy the X2's it will cost me AU$400 through amazon (as there no where else I can find them) and it's fulfilled and sold by amazon directly but would Australians have access to the warranty? or would it be the same as if I were buying the K712's overseas? 

I'm looking for a good all-rounder and these 2 headphones seem to have it. However I'm not willing to pay $599 for the K712's. 

If anyone can help that would be awesome. tia

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #625 of 1,061
My rule of life is to always avoid hassle. A pricy item with shaky warranty... not something I'd want, no matter how cheap I pay it.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #627 of 1,061
well this guy on ______ from Australia  has re-listed a pair of AKG 712's a few times and having no luck and he offered his pair for AU$260+ free shipping (I think). It's only 3 months old and his only selling it because open headphones aren't really for him, it's pretty much brand new. Plus it still has 20 months warranty left on it,  he bought it from Store DJ which is a genuine reseller. So it's not a grey import!

I REALLY WANT IT but I have a christmas casual job and the contract of employment will terminate at the end of this month unless I get offered a more stable job. I have more than enough money to afford it however I'm also saving up for a PC. If I buy the headphones now without knowing if I'll still have a job at the end of January I may not have enough money to buy the PC which is what my aim has been for all this time. 

So what are your takes on this? In our house the living room is a open layout design. So the Kitchen area, living room and dining table areas are all open. I haven't been allowed to purchase open headphones for this reason as everyone will hear what I'm listening too unless I can listen to them in my own room if I owned my own PC.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #628 of 1,061
I'm looking at buying the x2 or 400i. Can anyone who has heard both please post some comparisons. I've owned the 400i before but have not heard the x2, or any of the Philips line for that matter.

thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back