Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Dec 25, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #586 of 1,061
  A fun sound is as described above. A musical sound is a sound that moves you and pulls you into the music. That's what I like. 
L3000.gif

It's also the opposite of an analytical sound -- oftentimes sacrificing utmost detail for the sake of enjoyment. To me, those are easily the best kinds of sound signatures; I mean, isn't that what we're all here for? 
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #587 of 1,061
  It's also the opposite of an analytical sound -- oftentimes sacrificing utmost detail for the sake of enjoyment. To me, those are easily the best kinds of sound signatures; I mean, isn't that what we're all here for? 
wink.gif

depends. As ironic as it sounds, there is fun to be found in analytical sound. Its actually impressive to have those kind of sounds (AD700 is really analytical, and i love it). Also, for other uses, like gaming and movies, a really clear and detailed sound is exactly what you need. But at the end, its all subjective, so arguing about it is dumb

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #589 of 1,061
  depends. As ironic as it sounds, there is fun to be found in analytical sound. Its actually impressive to have those kind of sounds (AD700 is really analytical, and i love it). Also, for other uses, like gaming and movies, a really clear and detailed sound is exactly what you need. But at the end, its all subjective, so arguing about it is dumb

That is the problem for someone coming here and seeing all of these terms flying around... many of which nobody can fully define.  A term like fun is so subjective as to pretty useless when trying to describe anything. I have fun doing things that others are bored with. This is without trying to label something in sound that makes me think "this is a fun sound". So we end up with one subjective term with another subjective feeling thrown on top.
After many years around here, I think I know what people are saying when they describe a headphone as having a fun sound.... but honestly I don't know for certain. With all of the headphones I have listened to over the years I can't say any of them sounded "fun". I have had fun listening to music on many headphones, many with extremely divergent sound signatures... so what do I do with that?

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #590 of 1,061
Anyone thinking of buying Samsung Galaxy Tab S, go get it, sounds amazing with X2. I have been enjoying it for around 2 weeks and the freedom of not needing an amp is great...

i got the samsung tab s and my X2s are arriving in two days :D
however, i usually prefer the sound output of the galaxy s3 over the tab s, its a tad cleaner. My dacmagic xs sounds smoother and less hardcore than my tab s, and it gives a better sense of space. I usually turn the volume louder with the dacmagic xs than with the tab s bcz it gives less listening fatigue. I am hoping the X2 will be sensitive enough to scale up with the dacmagic xs more than the tab s.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #591 of 1,061
So I'm super new to head fi and still green with headphones in general. 

I love this review! I'm on the verge of ordering the X2s for myself but I'm wondering what it means when they're referred to as "fun" sounding. 

Welcome to the threadvnsfurs !

I share a link at the beginning of the thread where you can find the explanation of the terms.

I am puttin the link for you here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

But definition of "fun" may differantiate from people to people too ( IMO).

For me the definition on the link may apply slightly and in addition the musicality of the headphone applies...

I like to shake my head or even want to dance with some songs. Great pleasure to listen to music with these. Music surrounds and captivates you... Every night I want to return home as quick as possible to enjoy music with the X2 :wink:

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #592 of 1,061
Welcome to the thread@vnsfurs !

I share a link at the beginning of the thread where you can find the explanation of the terms.

I am puttin the link for you here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

But definition of "fun" may differantiate from people to people too ( IMO).

For me the definition on the link may apply slightly and in addition the musicality of the headphone applies...

I like to shake my head or even want to dance with some songs. Great pleasure to listen to music with these. Music surrounds and captivates you... Every night I want to return home as quick as possible to enjoy music with the X2
wink.gif

Thank you for the link! lol, and that's something I found after asking the question. 

I did just get them today and have been listening to them for a few hours now--they're incredible! 

I like to listen to all kinds of music but one of my go tos when listening to a new pair of headphones is with the Silent Hill 2 and 3 soundtracks. The composer, Akira Yamaoka, use really layered and complex compositions with the music in the soundtrack (a lot of instruments and everyday sounds), and I can immediately hear new parts of the different tracks with these headphones. It's as chilling and oppressive as it should be. I think what impresses me the most is that the bass in tracks in which its most prevalent doesn't overpower the rest of the song, but while still feeling like it has impact.
I absolutely love them so far. :D

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #594 of 1,061
Can you say the X2 soundstage can be competitive with AKG Q701 ????
Or much less ?

With my gears and to my ears X2 is better than K701 for soundstage depth and imaging. IMO, K701's soundstage width is slightly wider, but this doesn't make K701 an overall better headphone for the soundstage part. Thus, for me X2 is overall a better headphone for the soundstge part.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #596 of 1,061
Hi and fantastic review Baycode. sorry I didn't read all 40 pages but would like to know is X2 made of full plastic? also how is X2 compare to L2? thanks

Okay, maybe not read the entire thread...but you could at least try a search of the thread for "L2" before taking advantage of Baycode's good nature. Please ask if you're not sure how

:wink:

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #597 of 1,061
Hi and fantastic review Baycode. sorry I didn't read all 40 pages but would like to know is X2 made of full plastic? also how is X2 compare to L2? thanks

Well I don't have L2 to compare but some people in this and other X2 thread compared them. Also this comparison can be found in Headfonia review of X2. Please search them.

X2 headband inner parts, cup holder rings, grilles and narrow rings on the cups (close to the earpads) are metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back