Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #602 of 1,061
So I got my X2 today in the mail, and I think I might have a dud. Vocals on this thing seem to as if they're boxed in. Instruments are okay, though I feel like the instruments are drowning out the vocals. I'm using my late 2010 MacBook Air as a source and coming from an AKG K545. Vocals on the K545 seem alot cleaner and more solid, X2 vocals are foggy. I don't know if it's just my brain adjusting to a new headphone; i've only had closed back until now. I'll keep listening and burning them in and see what happens.

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #603 of 1,061
Got mine yesterday. Bass seem to be too much elevated and are loose as well, resulting in pushing the mids backwards. Vocals suffer bcz of this. i cant follow vocals easily on these.There is just too much bass!!!

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #604 of 1,061
My first reaction were similar. After burn-in I had to revise my review. Please check the burn-in explanations in my review (if you belive in burn-in though).

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #605 of 1,061
Call me subbed for this one. Very interesting indeed. I'm torn between adding an he400i and the x2. Any comparisons between the two are appreciated.

One question: would the fiio e10k be enough for the x2 and would the wa3 be too much?

thanks...Matt

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #607 of 1,061
  So I got my X2 today in the mail, and I think I might have a dud. Vocals on this thing seem to as if they're boxed in. Instruments are okay, though I feel like the instruments are drowning out the vocals. I'm using my late 2010 MacBook Air as a source and coming from an AKG K545. Vocals on the K545 seem alot cleaner and more solid, X2 vocals are foggy. I don't know if it's just my brain adjusting to a new headphone; i've only had closed back until now. I'll keep listening and burning them in and see what happens.

What is the output impedance of 2010 Macbook Air? My 2012 MBP had output impedance over 20 ohms. This made low impedance headphones sound too warm and veiled. Try an amp with low impedance output if you can, like Meridian Explorer2. iPhone might be a good first alternative with an output impedance of 2 ohms.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #608 of 1,061
Has anyone paired these HP`s with a Microsoft Surface Docking Station out of curiosity? (in particular, the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station). The Surface Pro 3 itself didn't have enough grunt to power them sufficiently for my requirements over certain genre and recordings, but the powered docking station is a different beast altogether.

I plugged my X2`s directly into audio-out from the dock (not expecting anything startling) while doing comparisons between Fulla and Vali, and it has never left that socket since (and probably won`t). Complete surprise!!

All the power, separation and clarity i`ll ever need for this HP. Granted it`s only 16-bit sampling @ 48KHz max, but my ears tell me I can live with it quite easily.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #609 of 1,061
I received the cans a week ago. Connected to the Ponoplayer which arrived a few days before . The sound is amazing. A great upgrade from the L1.
No need for an amp. Can't erase the smile from my face.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #610 of 1,061
  Call me subbed for this one. Very interesting indeed. I'm torn between adding an he400i and the x2. Any comparisons between the two are appreciated.

One question: would the fiio e10k be enough for the x2 and would the wa3 be too much?

thanks...Matt

Tough decision. I just purchased both, first the X2 and then the 400i. I probably would have been satisfied with the X2's to compliment my B&W P7's and HD-650, but you know how these forum threads empty your wallet :wink: The price on the X2's are a real bargain IMHO. I paid a lot more for my HD-650, and of course the 400i.

As you know both are open style headphones. If you lean towards the bass side of thing the X2 is going to scratch that itch a little better. The definitely have a more exciting sound as compared to the 400i. Out of the box it took me a while to warm up to the sound of the 400i (about 50 hours), but once I did it has become my favorite. You will see why as I comment further.

The 400i is not totally wanting in bass. Some might call it bass shy. I just think  just the 400i is more balanced and more articulate across the board. Right now I'm listening to the Violent Femmes "Color Me Once" and I find the vocals, guitar, and drum beat are knocking me out. The drums are very taut. No flab. The same great bass on The Smashing Pumpkins "Eye" with the synth music really coming through. Bass wise I'm not sure this would be the one for Dubstep lovers. I'll have to explore my reggae collection to comment on that.

I've never used magnetic planar headphones before and I really love the vocals, guitar (both acoustic and electric) and piano/organ music on the 400i! For me the 400i blends the best attributes of my HD-650 (and my formerly owned HD-600) with the best the X2 has to offer for a wide variety of music. 

The X2's sound is more "entertaining" as they say. So if I really want to rock out I usually pick up the X2's, if I want long term listening with a lot of subtle nuances coming through I go to the 400i.

For movies, and I would guess gaming (I only play StarCraft) the the X2's are going to be better. I can't see using the 400i to watching an action movie with crashes and explosions on the 400i. For long listening sessions I'm on the 400i, particularly late into the evening. Maybe the old saw about the power grid being quieter is true. But when my iMac's "flu.x" screen dimmer kicks in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.lux) the 400i's come out to play :wink:

Both drive well from my IOS devices, but I still prefer them amplified. I'm using a PS Audio GCHA DAC and a Musical Fidelity M1 for desktop & an old Headroom Headphones TotalBbithead for mobile. I'm looking into a FIIO X5 so I can take my AIFF files with me.

Others can probably explain their opinion of the X2 vs. the 400i sound wise, but I've tried to highlight how I've come to use the X2 and the 400i based on my tastes. I know one size does not fit all, so if you can audition them, or find a retailer with a good return policy that is your best bet.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #611 of 1,061
^^ Thanks Jazz1 for the comparison. I still don't know which way I'll go with this. Right now I have the hd650, bifrost and woo wa3. I don't think that the wa3 would pair well with the x2 or 400i, but I'm not sure. I also have a fiio e10k that should be fine though. I also have the fiio x1 which should be good for either hp but is more for mobile use. The amp is not the real issue though. I have no issue with adding something like the magni uber 2. I have spend lot's of time with the 400i and know it's signature very well. The x2 is an unknown.

Can I ask which hp might be a better complement to the hd650?

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #612 of 1,061
  ^^ Thanks Jazz1 for the comparison. I still don't know which way I'll go with this. Right now I have the hd650, bifrost and woo wa3. I don't think that the wa3 would pair well with the x2 or 400i, but I'm not sure. I also have a fiio e10k that should be fine though. I also have the fiio x1 which should be good for either hp but is more for mobile use. The amp is not the real issue though. I have no issue with adding something like the magni uber 2. I have spend lot's of time with the 400i and know it's signature very well. The x2 is an unknown.

Can I ask which hp might be a better complement to the hd650?

I'm thinking if you want a "ying to the yang" of the HD-650 that X2 would do it as it is more dynamic. If you want a more lush headphone that actually compliments/kicks up a notch the smooth sound the HD-650 or the HD-600 the 400i would do the trick.

Your wise to look at your entire equipment chain. I'm looking at a Lyr2, but wonder if it is going to fit in with all of my headphones. Failing that I'm trying to figure out how to use the Lyr2 or Valhalla 2  with my Music Fidelity DAC and my PS Audio GHCA at the same time. I'm not wanting to plug and unplug stuff as I've got the equipment sitting on some open backed Ikea cabinet. Not easy to get to the rear of the equipment.

Crazy at it seems the Magni Uber 2 and the Modi 2 are talking to me for an at home headboard (in bed) or large work or hotel room scenario. I know it is crazy but I used to travel with a Headroom Headphones mobile headphone amp. and travel case with D batteries and my HD-600, and a portable CD player some years ago.

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #613 of 1,061
The lyr 2 works best with a desk full of planar mags. For hd6x0, 400i, most of the beyers...the Valhalla reigns supreme IMO.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #614 of 1,061
  The lyr 2 works best with a desk full of planar mags. For hd6x0, 400i, most of the beyers...the Valhalla reigns supreme IMO.

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like I can go Valhalla for the 400i and HD-650 and reserve my PS Audio for any future headphones that need the horsepower. If I remember correctly the PS Audio GCHA has some "grunt" power wise.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #615 of 1,061
Does the X2 have good detail? im looking for a detailed headphone and was thinking of getting either this headphone or the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro which ive heard has very good detail so much so that people hear things that they havent heard in a song before which they thought they knew back to front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back