Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 - New IEMs with semi-closed back
Aug 22, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #227 of 367
Hello

I have Philips X1 and I love it and I'd like to get similar sound with in-ears.
Considering above statement, do you think I would love the S2 the same ?
About leakage, do you think it's an issue for neighbours to use them in open space work desks ?

Thx

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #229 of 367
Quote:

How's the treble of the S2 compare to the KEF M200?

I find the M200's treble more smooth overall.  It is less prone to sibilance for sensitive ears.  Both have very good treble but I think the M200's treble is just slightly more refined sounding.  I find the S2 to sound more neutral/flat as a whole.  M200's have good balance but that bass has more oomph over the S2.  It's a lovely bass though. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #230 of 367
Quote:
Yes I got the S2. And yes I got the fxt90. While I do like the fxt, the fact is that it is a fun phone, and can never make it to the top. Not the same with the s2.

Now they had about 20 hrs of run-in, and a summary of it's sound is like: very detailed (not monstrously so), very balanced with a very linear bass lift, maybe a very slight dip in the mid bass (so no veil whatsoever even with its impactful bass) and a tiny lift in the presence range, bringing the vocals a tiny bit more forward than the clinical sounding monitors, and well extended and controlled highs. Pretty quick and snappy in response, not overly so. Soundstage is above average, not spectacular but still very creditable.

What made me think it's so perfect (new toy bias beware) is that besides it's pretty much all fulfilling sound, it also comes with wonderful craftsmanship (very classy finish, copper alloy enclosure, stylish dual color cable and nice and strong looking plug) top rate comfort and wearing stability, great style (the gold accents are subtle yet noticeable i.e. Just the right amount of bling. Glossy finish very well done), the perfect accessories (a simple yet beautiful and very practical case, and the right amount of nicely crafted tips), and a fit-all button for everyone who'd accept that handiness means something more than the last bit of SQ, if any, and a very friendly price. Isolation is not the best but I get no problem using them in the subway. And the price o the price.......it certainly made the ie800 price tag looks laughable.

YMMV, but it is the first time I feel like I've found the final piece to my ultraportable rig.

hi there i just checked out this thread about this seemingly fantastic iem! i was wondering if microphonics are an issue with the s1/s2s? can it be worn cable up? it might be odd fitting because of the flat cable ( had previous experience with wearing the klipsch x7 (flat cable) over the ear, they couldn't stay in place)

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #231 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticTwelve 

This is also true for the S1. In the beginning I thought I have faulty headphones as nobody complained about those sharp 'sss'. However I had replaced them for another reason (splitting rubberized ring) and now I think the new set sounds better, I hardly hear that unpleasant sound.

Quote:
Harsh treble on both models?  I was really interested in these because I needed a open/semi open IEM.  Not really sure about them now.

I originally wrote about the harsh treble on my first S1. After few weeks I can still confirm that it must have been the problem with the first set because the replaced S1 sounds great. The rubberized ring is also in its place so Philips probably fixed these problems.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #232 of 367
Quote:

I originally wrote about the harsh treble on my first S1. After few weeks I can still confirm that it must have been the problem with the first set because the replaced S1 sounds great. The rubberized ring is also in its place so Philips probably fixed these problems.

where did you get the replacement from ? Just to be sure of the improved stock supply.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #233 of 367
Philips Fidelio S1 Problem.

The "elasticized rings" on my S1 are coming apart after only 2 months of gentle use.  It appears to be a design flaw where the rings are simply glued on and moisture/time will work the adhesive loose.  I am not sure if the rings/adhesive effect the sound (someone please confirm) but the S1 sure does not look good without the "elasticized rings".

I contact Philips (US) for warranty service but the customer service tells me that the S1 is not in their system and not supported here (US).  He suggests that I contact place/country of purchase to obtain warranty service there.

I contacted the ebay seller (HK) and was surprised that he/they responded.  After a few emails, he suggested that I send the whole thing back to him and he would try to obtain the warranty service there.  Shipping it back would be about $17 plus another $13 if I wanted some kind of proof/tracking.  I was not sure if I want to throw more money at it and might not even get it back.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #235 of 367
Quote:
hi there i just checked out this thread about this seemingly fantastic iem! i was wondering if microphonics are an issue with the s1/s2s? can it be worn cable up? it might be odd fitting because of the flat cable ( had previous experience with wearing the klipsch x7 (flat cable) over the ear, they couldn't stay in place)

I've got the S2. Tried wearing them cable up (over the ear style) and it didn't seal well for me. I'm sensitive to microphonics and one of the reasons for getting the S2 (apart from better sound quality) is the lower microphonics compared to other models I've got; this includes the Sony MH1C, stock IEM from Apple and Samsung. I can wear the S2 straight down (normal way) with a clip to the shirt - almost zero microphonics when walking. Haven't tried running to see what's it like. 

Steve

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #236 of 367
I've got the S2s as well, they simply aren't designed to be worn over-the-ear. I'm not saying that's an impossibility; the cable can be mangled to fit behind your ear, but it'll just look silly. I just use the built-in clip and fasten the wires to improve the microphonics issue.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #238 of 367
Can anyone comment about the isolation on the S1/2?  I need to be able to hear my surroundings so less would be better.

Being shallow fit IEMs, they don't have the best isolation, being semi open-backed also contributes to it.

If you're not listening to music at deafening levels then hearing more prominent sounds in your surroundings is not a problem. I used to use them as my commute phones, and I've rarely had to remove them in most cases.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #240 of 367
Does anybody compare them to VSonic GR07? Which have better soundstage and details?  Could you compare them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back