Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 - New IEMs with semi-closed back
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 367

HiFiRobot

100+ Head-Fier
New Philips IEMs launched at CES 2013 and looks interesting. S1 Got a nice review in Nordic magazine "Ljud och Bild"
Difference seems to be the S2 has copper housing, multi-layered driver, lower resistance and more included tips.

Edit:
Innerfidelity Review
Ljud och Bild S1 Review (Swedish)
Ljud och Bild S2 Review (Swedish)
Trusted Review Fidelio S2

Philips Fidelio S1
- Engineered metal housing
- High-powered 13.5-mm neodymium drivers for exceptional sound
- Handpicked, tuned and tested
- Semi-closed back design for sound balance and bass extension
- Ultra-soft silicone tips in 3 sizes for a custom, snug fit
- Comply™ Foam Tips for superb custom fit and noise isolation
- Elasticised ring for in-ear stability and super-secure fit
- Ergonomic earphones fit perfectly while dispersing pressure
- Switch between music and calls with in-line control and mic
- Protective pouch to store your headphones when not in use
- Durable flat cable keeps your headphones tangle-free
- 107db
- 32ohm
- 99£ / $99.99

Philips Fidelio S2
- Copper alloy outer housing for lightweight durability
- High-powered 13.5-mm neodymium drivers for exceptional sound
- Layered motion control drivers for refined high frequencies
- Semi-closed back design for sound balance and bass extension
- Ultra-soft silicone tips in 5 sizes for a custom, snug fit
- 2 Comply™ Foam Tips for a comfy fit and noise isolation
- Ergonomic earphones fit perfectly while dispersing pressure
- Switch between music and calls with in-line control and mic
- Protective pouch to store your headphones when not in use
- Durable flat cable keeps your headphones tangle-free
- 107db
- 22ohm
- 125£ / $149.99

Philips Fidelio S2 driver

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 367
Tyll has already measured them and heard them. He likes them. They also measure well.

From http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-february-2013-update:
Lastly, Philips sent me some cans after the show, and I managed to get the two in-ear models measured, the Fidelio S1 and S2. Wow, did these little dynamic IEMs do well both on the measurement head and on my head. I didn't have too much listening time with them as I had a box of stuff to send off to ljokerl, but they were very promising. One thing to note however is that these are early production units, so I may have to get my hands on final production product before any review gets written.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioS1Early2013.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioS2Early2013.pdf

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 367
Just got them the other day after a brief trial. First impressions: disregard the price tag. It IS up there with the best universal dynamic driver iems.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 367
Productred I assume you got the S2?
 Also noticed you posted in one of the JVC FXT90 threads when i was researching those ( still am considering ).
Any thoughts/comparisons of the two however brief would be of interest.

Well here's a flashy vid I found anyhow while we wait. Nice expanded view of all the separate parts.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 367
Yes I got the S2. And yes I got the fxt90. While I do like the fxt, the fact is that it is a fun phone, and can never make it to the top. Not the same with the s2.

Now they had about 20 hrs of run-in, and a summary of it's sound is like: very detailed (not monstrously so), very balanced with a very linear bass lift, maybe a very slight dip in the mid bass (so no veil whatsoever even with its impactful bass) and a tiny lift in the presence range, bringing the vocals a tiny bit more forward than the clinical sounding monitors, and well extended and controlled highs. Pretty quick and snappy in response, not overly so. Soundstage is above average, not spectacular but still very creditable.

What made me think it's so perfect (new toy bias beware) is that besides it's pretty much all fulfilling sound, it also comes with wonderful craftsmanship (very classy finish, copper alloy enclosure, stylish dual color cable and nice and strong looking plug) top rate comfort and wearing stability, great style (the gold accents are subtle yet noticeable i.e. Just the right amount of bling. Glossy finish very well done), the perfect accessories (a simple yet beautiful and very practical case, and the right amount of nicely crafted tips), and a fit-all button for everyone who'd accept that handiness means something more than the last bit of SQ, if any, and a very friendly price. Isolation is not the best but I get no problem using them in the subway. And the price o the price.......it certainly made the ie800 price tag looks laughable.

YMMV, but it is the first time I feel like I've found the final piece to my ultraportable rig.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 367
what's the release day in NA? i will definitely give it a shot.
since u said they are "very detailed (not monstrously so), very balanced with a very linear bass lift"
so how do they compare to EX1000/SM64? i mean, do they have the similar signature? 

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 367
Damn, looks like I needa start saving up. I'm more of an IEM guy, and these look perfect for me.

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 367
Pretty intriguing, it seems Philips keeps putting out one strong value after the next... The whole Fidelio line just oozes strong build quality too. Are these available in the US yet? Not seeing them on Amazon...

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 367
This thing is obviously geared to the tech freaks with it's multi layer diaphragm, copper housings and stuff like that... what's strange though is tha  it also looks pretty class. we could have a mid-fi killer right here :D

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 367
Very tempted to try these. They look very nice and the semi open design while not great for isolation should have a nice sound stage especially with a 13.5mm driver.

they are 150 for the s2 and 95 for the s1 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back