Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 - New IEMs with semi-closed back
Apr 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #63 of 367
I have just one problem with the S1.
For them to sound best they need a good seal. The only way I can get a good seal is deep insertion. But as are not made for deep insertion my ears start hurting.

Solution?

Maybe try wearing them over ear, meaning wearing the earphone marked as R (right) up over your left ear and left earphone over your right ear. I got better seal that way with long Meelectronics tips and ATH-CKM500s (which are designed to be worn down and NOT over ear, per their R/L marking).

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #67 of 367
Quote:
Recommended by who exactly? and how do you know what sounds best to me? 
This argument is pointless and only nourish the ego of the know-it-all on this forum.

I was talking about a recommendation and not a must. E.g. you should try it out as many users agree that the sound quality (frequency response) may change for the better, especially for the two IEMs I names as an example.
No need to be aggressive. Just give it a try.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #68 of 367
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #69 of 367
Ok, I got my S2 today! First impressions with no break-in. they're really good. Quick notes:

The bass, similar to the EX600, has some good punch and extension. It's more impactful than the BA IEMs I've had before, which is something I wanted from this (and the EX600). And it's not muddy or boomy - it's nicely controlled and textured.

Mids are clear and detailed but aren't quite as in-your-face as the EX600, which presents them closer to the listener. The S2 seems to place me further back from the stage. For some songs, the EX600 mids are a little like Grados in that they really put you in the middle of the song and can be enchanting. The S2 mids don't do this. They don't jump forward in the same way. so it makes for a slightly deeper soundstage at the cost of some "excitement" and "richness" for some songs.

Highs are not prone to sibilance. it'll present it if it's there but it doesn't accentuate it for the sake of added sparkle on darker recordings. I find them detailed and well executed. Nothing stands out as shrill or tizzy sounding.

Soundstage is pretty good but it's not something that makes me think I'm wearing a full size open headphone. imaging seems precise and instruments don't feel smudged or streaked across in space. they have specific locations in space.

I'll be running these in over the weekend - not sure if burn-in will change anything. Figure it won't hurt. 

One thing that's really important with these is the fit in the ear canal. I have real tiny ear canals and I always reach for the XS tips whenever possible. With other IEMs (including the EX600) moving up or down a tip size doesn't radically change the sound. but it did here. With the XS tips, I thought the mids were hollow and thin.  I was worried because even though it felt like I was getting a good seal, I wasn't. I moved up to the small tips and the mids became much more full and natural.

The way the entire IEM fits in the ear, I could see the S1/S2 being uncomfortable if you have a small inner ear shape as it needs to make room for the housing and the large driver and still get the nozzle directed in the canal.

Anyway, first impressions are very good. For $150 these seem like an excellent choice if you can get the proper seal (a tiny, almost unnoticeable leak changes the sound more than other IEMs I've used). 

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #71 of 367
Nice! Thanks for sharing your impression on the S2. Now I'm really intrigued how the S1/S2 stack up against the Sony XBA 3/30...

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #72 of 367
Quote:
Thanks LCFiner for your impression.
Do the S2s hiss easily? I especially want to know whether or not they hiss with iPod 5.5gen. Thanks again.

There's no hissing for the first 90% of the volume scale on my ipod classic or my nuforce icon HDP. there is a tiny bit of hissing form 90 to 100% volume. (no music playing, of course)

Not that the volume level becomes super loud at 70% volume on the iphone and around 50% on the HDP. Never close to reaching that tiny slice of the volume range where hissing becomes audible.

So I don't think hissing will be an issue with these when hooked up to decent DAPs

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #73 of 367
There's no hissing for the first 90% of the volume scale on my ipod classic or my nuforce icon HDP. there is a tiny bit of hissing form 90 to 100% volume. (no music playing, of course)

Not that the volume level becomes super loud at 70% volume on the iphone and around 50% on the HDP. Never close to reaching that tiny slice of the volume range where hissing becomes audible.

So I don't think hissing will be an issue with these when hooked up to decent DAPs

Thanks so much for your comments! I wish someone with iPod 5.5 gen can also comment here, as I heard iPod Classic's headphone output is less hissy that 5.5gen (so not a surprise that S2s do not hiss with iPod Classic).

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #75 of 367
Received the S2 yesterday and I am really impressed so far. Top tier sound for little money.
Just a warning, the short stem and shape meant that I could only barely get a good seal with the large tips. If I didn't have some Meelec triple flange those would have gone straight to the sale forum.

Won't those triple flange tips fit kind of oddly on a short stem IEM tho? I tried out the triple flange tips that came with my M6 because size-wise it's nearly identical to my Ety's larger triple flange tips and I thought they'd seal better than the double flange (which is barely larger IIRC), but the fit was no good for me...

I have large ears but I guess my ear canal isn't very straight or something, the MEElec triple flanges actually gave me less of a seal with the M6 than the double flanges did, not sure how to explain it since my Ety hf3 with it's triple flanges isolates so ridiculously well.

I'm guessing that without a longer stem on the IEM giving the tip some rigidity that it just wasn't sitting properly in my ear or something... Maybe it was an insertion depth issue, can't really push those M6 past a certain point due to the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back