Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 - New IEMs with semi-closed back
Apr 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #46 of 367
Received the S2 yesterday and I am really impressed so far. Top tier sound for little money.
Just a warning, the short stem and shape meant that I could only barely get a good seal with the large tips. If I didn't have some Meelec triple flange those would have gone straight to the sale forum.

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #48 of 367
Quote:
Received the S2 yesterday and I am really impressed so far. Top tier sound for little money.
Just a warning, the short stem and shape meant that I could only barely get a good seal with the large tips. If I didn't have some Meelec triple flange those would have gone straight to the sale forum.

They really aren't designed to seal like a traditional IEM though are they?  They look very similar in design to the Phiaton "half in-ear" series and those don't make a tight seal at all.  

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #49 of 367
Where have you read that was the case?
Without a seal the treble is quite sharp and painful and the bass gone...
size]
 ...but will experiment again with various tip sizes.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #50 of 367
Where have you read that was the case?
Without a seal the treble is quite sharp and painful and the bass gone...
size]

...but will experiment again with various tip sizes.

He means that they were designed for a more shallow insertion rather than a deep one. He said nothing about not needing a seal. The shallow insertion + open design => loss of passive isolation.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #51 of 367
me no understand.....
size]
 so like a "loose" seal, similar to being a bit pregnant concept??
That's pretty clear from the design that those are supposed to be used with shallow insertion but you still need a good seal for them to sound good and for me it was only possible with the large tips while remaining still.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #52 of 367
Got the S1 today and the sound quality is great for this price. I was worried about the sound leakage but it's not a problem - after comparing it to the NuForce NE-700M with closed back, it's only a little bit worse. The isolation also seems to be good enough. The remote works nice with the Galaxy S3 - the button feels very dependable unlike the one in the NuForce NE-700M.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #53 of 367
I was referring more to the shallow insertion, I should have worded things better.

Still I am a bit surprised that a tight seal is so critical here. I have been using what looks to be a very similar design for a couple of years now with the Phiaton units and they sound very good with a fairly loose seal, especially compared to full insertion canal phones. I would say that is part of the benefit of those over traditional IEMs: you still get good sound without having to completely shut the world out. If the Philips don't follow suit they sound like a pass to me.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #54 of 367
I have small ears and my ear canal is quite recessed so often have issue with fit. The Meelec triple flange have been a godsend for quite a few iems. The stem on the S2 is still unusually short for iem using that design.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #55 of 367
Quote:
me no understand.....
size]
 so like a "loose" seal, similar to being a bit pregnant concept??
That's pretty clear from the design that those are supposed to be used with shallow insertion but you still need a good seal for them to sound good and for me it was only possible with the large tips while remaining still.

He stated nothing about a physically loose (incomplete) seal.  He just made a statement about shallow insertion.  Seal, obviously, like any other IEM, needs to be complete. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back