Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 - New IEMs with semi-closed back
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 367
I love semi-open designs; you can make them sound great without having to run up production costs. The Superlux HD381F was amazing for $20, as was the Brainwavz M2 for ~$35. I upgraded to the Phiaton PS210, and they sounded nice and clear as well, and from the new measurements, the S1 and S2 look way better than even the PS210. From how the numbers look, the S1 might actually be preferable to some people; the S2 seems like it's just a little more refined and smoother, but not necessarily more exciting or anything else. The S2's square wave and impulse response are slightly cleaner while it has a bit more bass roll-off (not really as important with an open design). The S1 look like a sub-$100 bargain, though.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #17 of 367
More pictures:

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #18 of 367
Interesting... 
popcorn.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 367
Well, the S2 costs $50 more, I think competition's just as fierce at either price point... These don't look like they'd fit very well when worn with the cord up either, so that's at least one potential downside to some.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 367
Here's what he (joker) said just a little while ago when someone asked whether the S2 was worth the cost over the S1:

Purely for sound, probably not. It's a little smoother and warmer-sounding and the treble response seems a touch more extended (or maybe just flatter) but the differences are small. I have to admit that the S2 looks a lot better up close with its glossy finish (it almost looks ceramic) and all-metal housings (the S1 has some cheap-looking plastic bits). I also had some trouble getting the stock tips of the S1 to seal. Ended up using tips off of a MEElec A151. The S2 was not a problem with the included Comply Ts tips. So, looking at them as an overall package, I can see why Philips chose to release two earphones. I see the S1 as more of a 'barebones' S2 for value seekers.

I imagne he'll have a full review up in his thread eventually, should be interesting. Comply or MEElec tips are not exactly hard to come by (and if you used the former you'd need to buy replacements eventually anyway) but the comments about build quality are interesting, they look almost identical in Philip's renders (outside of the color schemes). Could've swore they even said one was alu and the other copper or whatever but maybe the whole S1 housing isn't Al...

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 367
S2 also has the layered diaphragm too. Maybe a few hours on them would help? Either way interesting.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #25 of 367
Quote:
Here's what he (joker) said just a little while ago when someone asked whether the S2 was worth the cost over the S1:
I imagne he'll have a full review up in his thread eventually, should be interesting. Comply or MEElec tips are not exactly hard to come by (and if you used the former you'd need to buy replacements eventually anyway) but the comments about build quality are interesting, they look almost identical in Philip's renders (outside of the color schemes). Could've swore they even said one was alu and the other copper or whatever but maybe the whole S1 housing isn't Al...

Yeah  I was the one who asked that... so a bit warmer and smoother, and a touch more treble extension. Looks like the clarity and detail and soundstage are identical between the 2 then. I'm probably going for the cheaper S1. I'm a bit treble sensitive anyway, and to me build quality isn't that important. As for fit, I already have Comply tips at home....

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #26 of 367
Quote:
Yeah  I was the one who asked that... so a bit warmer and smoother, and a touch more treble extension. Looks like the clarity and detail and soundstage are identical between the 2 then. I'm probably going for the cheaper S1. I'm a bit treble sensitive anyway, and to me build quality isn't that important. As for fit, I already have Comply tips at home....

If you're treble sensitive, you'll want the S2 not S1. The S1 has a peakier treble response --- its lower midrange is less prominent as well, so those factors go into it being less warm than the S2.

Better treble extension != more treble

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 367
Does anyone know if a tip made for an etymotic would fit these? I have a custom mold for Ety and it would be great to use those with these. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 367
Due to their angled nozzle and design plus their wider bore I don't think that tip will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back