PGGB Offline Remastering
Mar 27, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #76 of 284
I like to revisit PGGB this year. Just curious, will the new mac be friendly with pggb?
PGGB runs on Apple Silicon. I don’t believe it takes full opportunity of the speed gains as the MATLAB runtime still isn’t a native application. The more RAM the better.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #78 of 284
Hi guys, is there much point to using the PGGB to convert flac to PCM without upsampling?
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? FLAC is simply a codec that can compress PCM. Are you just looking to uncompress FLAC? If so there are plenty of tools you can use that cost a lot less than PGGB.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #79 of 284
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? FLAC is simply a codec that can compress PCM. Are you just looking to uncompress FLAC? If so there are plenty of tools you can use that cost a lot less than PGGB.
Would I benefit of we use the mathematical windowsinc resampling of PGGB without updampling?

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #80 of 284
Would I benefit of we use the mathematical windowsinc resampling of PGGB without updampling?
I don't think so. Best to ask in the PGGB thread on Audiophile Style as the developer monitors that forum.

May 27, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #81 of 284
For those using PGGB with a Chord Qutest (and this may be applicable to other Chord DACs as well): which filter button setting do you use on the Qutest?

The use of PGGB to upsample to 705/768Khz will disable the WTA1 filter on the Qutest, but whether the WTA2 filter is disabled or not will depend on whether the filter button is white (WTA2 enabled) or orange (WTA2 disabled). Do you find that the WTA2 filter works well with PGGB-d files (since it was really designed to be used on top of WTA1)? Personally I seem to prefer WTA2 disabled (orange), but that could just be because my system is slightly too bright (which it probably is).

Further, the green (WTA2) & red (no WTA2) filters additionally affect the operation of the 2048Fs stage that follows the 256Fs WTA2 filter. Do you use green instead of white and red instead of orange with all PGGB-d files, or only when the PGGB-d file was sourced from high-res PCM, or not at all? And of course PGGB itself has a HF noise filtering setting where you can choose "Full (21Khz)". Do you use this instead of/in addition to the green/red filters?

And finally, though maybe a bit off-topic, any differences to the above if and when you use HQPlayer for upsampling instead of PGGB? I'm guessing many of you use HQP for upsampling streaming content.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #82 of 284
85666CCD-43A3-4E89-8D54-F3A0148BEA62.png

This is one of the best rock recordings I have heard. With PGGB applied it is stellar.

Playing on Poly/Mojo with Noble Khan iem

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #84 of 284
Hi guys
I have installed PGGB trial version(insane) however 'process' tab disabled(grey status, thus i can't configure any of).
Also I can't find any info about that searching from google.

Edit: I found i have to request a license even if i use trial. Sorry

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #86 of 284
Just bumped this up to insane. There’s a concert in my head. Beautifully recorded live concert. Playing back with MPD on my EX s player/server.

EC1BB15F-0A65-492E-A75A-027DE34B49B7.png

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #87 of 284
Beautifully recorded live concert.
Thanks, I will check this out.

I’ve been slowly bumping my favorites up to Ridiculous. One that just absolutely blew me away was the relatively recent remix of The Beatles White Album. Truly astonishing.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #88 of 284
If price was not object, what would one need if they want to process a file at the max setting for PGGB with fastest processing time.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #89 of 284
If price was not object, what would one need if they want to process a file at the max setting for PGGB with fastest processing time.

Probably a fast multi core processor. Something like the AMD 7950x with heaps of cores.

I run a 5950X feat 16 cores/32 threads at 5.1ghz and 32gb ram with a 6900xt and its great.

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #90 of 284
Probably a fast multi core processor. Something like the AMD 7950x with heaps of cores.
RAM is the most critical as the longer the duration of the track the more that’s needed.

The number of cores and speed of the hard drive matter too if one wants fast processing speed.

I use two Macs, both with 128 GB of RAM. The newish file caching feature has made it possible to process a lot of music at P192.

DSD is another story as I’ve yet to successfully process any of this at anything other than P64.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back