PGGB Offline Remastering
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #31 of 284
supports wav playback up to at up to 32bit/384kHz, so it should
Nope ZB said the files are 705 KHz, so the Core will not play them. Laptop with USB it is then, I wonder if the new Mac mini M 1 would be a good machine for converting/playing? Looking for cheaper solutions since I really do not use my Laptop any more, IPad is my remote and web browser of choice.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #32 of 284
supports wav playback up to at up to 32bit/384kHz, so it should
The 16FS converted files i have sent back to @N Quarter are 32bit/705kHz or 32bit/768kHz depending on the original files. So the Naim ND5XS2 wont support playback of those files.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #33 of 284
The 16FS converted files i have sent back to @N Quarter are 32bit/705kHz or 32bit/768kHz depending on the original files. So the Naim ND5XS2 wont support playback of those files.
Yeah Nick, I need you to send more, check your email. I had ZB send me his again, he uses Dropbox though and it seemed like it was flying through them…16 GB in a few hours. I look and there is 1 minute to go, so I figure it is pretty much done. Look again and it says server error, and is stopped. Now I hit resume, and it says 2 hours left. WeTransfer seems to work much better than Dropbox. I did a direct download too, freaking POS.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #34 of 284
Hi Nick,
I also use HMS/TT2 via USB from Lumin U1 and via opto-metalic network conversion, output is Focal Utopia or some outdated micro system regal speakers.

Besides Lumin I stream also from Win Roon PC Core. I was just curious right after readin g about oversampling with PGGB.

2 questions:
  • does it rip CD directly - or other tool must be used to some PCM 16bit output?
  • May I also find some way to get sample file to play? 24 bit and 32 bit if possible?

thank you in advance

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #36 of 284
Lurking here - as an M-Scaler owner that may end up selling it as I have recently bought an SRC-DX from Nick to evaluate. As a user of Roon and HQPlayer embedded, am I right in assuming that it’s best for SQ to feed PGGB files through HQPlayer with filters set to ‘None’ - as opposed to using Roon alone?
As a lifetime Roon subscriber, I’m loathe to drop Roon altogether (I very much like the GUI too), so using MPD doesn’t tick my particular box.
Can anyone with PGGB experience tell me their recommended PGGB settings, e.g. warm, neutral, bright? I suppose it’s DAC dependent (I have a TT2), but any steer would be very welcome.
Someone suggested that suitable ‘file-crunching’ PC specs could be posted here, and I agree that such info would be useful. All I know is that the greater the RAM, the better. My 2012 Mac Mini 16GB might take a while to generate files then!

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #37 of 284
It has been claimed that using hqplayer without roon gives the best sound. Personally I use roon/hqplayer for my pggb files. I will not leave roon for a 1% increase in sound. Roon brings 100% to the music discovery imho. That being said I have ripped my library using the default settings at 24b for the src-dx to my tt2. I set hqplayer for no filters, no noise shaper, 24b, 0db. I would suggest testing different ripping settings as they may suit you better.

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #38 of 284
It has been claimed that using hqplayer without roon gives the best sound. Personally I use roon/hqplayer for my pggb files. I will not leave roon for a 1% increase in sound. Roon brings 100% to the music discovery imho. That being said I have ripped my library using the default settings at 24b for the src-dx to my tt2. I set hqplayer for no filters, no noise shaper, 24b, 0db. I would suggest testing different ripping settings as they may suit you better.
Thanks for this. I’m in exactly the same boat as you then! Yes, I figured it would make sense to rip a few familiar tracks in three versions to be deliberately warm, neutral and bright. Then also compare them with the original upsampled to 705/768. Just got to negotiate with ‘the boss’ some free time to do all this. 🤔

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #39 of 284
Lurking here - as an M-Scaler owner that may end up selling it as I have recently bought an SRC-DX from Nick to evaluate. As a user of Roon and HQPlayer embedded, am I right in assuming that it’s best for SQ to feed PGGB files through HQPlayer with filters set to ‘None’ - as opposed to using Roon alone?
My HQPe settings when playing PGGB are shown below. I use HQPDcontrol v4 to control playback of PGGB music. For everything else I switch to Roon and change the 1x and Nx filters to one of the sinc filters. I also set dither to LNS15.

068C0034-4204-444C-AEAD-EAC774702D5A.jpeg

Can anyone with PGGB experience tell me their recommended PGGB settings, e.g. warm, neutral, bright? I suppose it’s DAC dependent (I have a TT2), but any steer would be very welcome.
Natural, Transparent, Minimal is what I prefer.

Someone suggested that suitable ‘file-crunching’ PC specs could be posted here, and I agree that such info would be useful. All I know is that the greater the RAM, the better. My 2012 Mac Mini 16GB might take a while to generate files then!

More memory and a fast hard drive help tremendously.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 284
As a lifetime Roon subscriber, I’m loathe to drop Roon altogether

I'm also using Roon at the moment, and am using it to play PGGB files with it.

For anyone else also doing so or are thinking of doing so, note that Roon doesn't recognize WavPack files, so to use Roon for 16+fs PGGB'ed files, they must be encoded to WAV format, which takes up about 2.5x more space than WavPack (ouchie!). Also, based on this response I got on the Roon forum about it, it seems doubtful they ever will, IMO. (Also refer to this equally discouraging post further down the page).

So now I've been looking for an software server/player alternative that does support WavPack files and is half-way tolerable to use. Giving up the feature-rich creature comforts of Roon is going to be painful though for sure :cry: Right now I'm leaning towards using HQPlayer again for local playback...

My HQPe settings when playing PGGB are shown below. I use HQPDcontrol v4 to control playback of PGGB music.

Semi-off-topic, but @kennyb123, are you finding HQPDcontrol to be usable for controlling HQPlayer generally?

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #41 of 284
So now I've been looking for an software server/player alternative that does support WavPack files and is half-way tolerable to use.
I could check and see if the latest Innuos 2.0 app supports wavpack. That is more than half way tolerable to use and sounds good with the 705/768 files.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #42 of 284
Semi-off-topic, but @kennyb123, are you finding HQPDcontrol to be usable for controlling HQPlayer generally?
The way that I approach listening to my PGGB’d tracks is akin to grabbing a slab of vinyl from the shelf and listening to it all the way through. HQPDcontrol is perfect for this use case. My PGGB’d files are all stored on a drive in my streamer so I even occasionally power down my network. HQPDcontrol has no problem controlling playback immediately after powering the network back on. Roon seems to lose its mind if the network has gone down.

Where Roon/HQP comes in is for music discovery. No better tool for doing that presently.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #43 of 284
My HQPe settings when playing PGGB are shown below. I use HQPDcontrol v4 to control playback of PGGB music. For everything else I switch to Roon and change the 1x and Nx filters to one of the sinc filters. I also set dither to LNS15.

068C0034-4204-444C-AEAD-EAC774702D5A.jpeg

Natural, Transparent, Minimal is what I prefer.

More memory and a fast hard drive help tremendously.
Thanks for your reply.
I have HQPe on my Sonictransporter i7 which has an external SSD music library connected to it. I’ve tried the HQPDControl app, but all it shows are the filter, dither and sample rate settings that I have in HQPe - no music.

How do I (or even can I) point it at my music library? Maybe it’d be better if I contacted Andrew Gillis at SGC with this question.

It would be good to at least try playback with Roon ‘out of circuit’, just so that I can discern whether or not it’s supposed ‘SQ degrading effect’ is actually a big deal or negligible.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #44 of 284
How do I (or even can I) point it at my music library?

Click on the Library link at the bottom of the HQPlayer embedded settings. Input the path to your music and click scan. All the music should appear. Now go over to HQPDcontrol and to the menu and have it sync your library. Everything in your HQPlayer library should appear.

Note that scanning can take a long time. Best to choose a folder that doesn’t have a ton of music in it the first time you want to try this. On my K30, the folder where I keep my PGGD’d music is /storage/music/scaled/. Very simple for me to type this and and have it scan. I repeat this everytime I add music.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #45 of 284
Click on the Library link at the bottom of the HQPlayer embedded settings. Input the path to your music and click scan. All the music should appear. Now go over to HQPDcontrol and to the menu and have it sync your library. Everything in your HQPlayer library should appear.

Note that scanning can take a long time. Best to choose a folder that doesn’t have a ton of music in it the first time you want to try this. On my K30, the folder where I keep my PGGD’d music is /storage/music/scaled/. Very simple for me to type this and and have it scan. I repeat this everytime I add music.
Hi. I gave that a go (sonictransport/root/music/Foo Fighters) and I got the following after the 10-second ‘Success!’ prompt:

1625600726999.png

I wonder what I’m doing wrong? Maybe the Sonictransporter (Linux OS) is not permitting this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back