Petition: I would like the old site back (or other choice)
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #361 of 431
The way images are treated is still completely backwards. So there's the possibility of uploading ONE image at a time to the site (no bulk uploader available), so it gets embedded in the WYSIWYG editor (no professional BB-code editor available), or there  is the possibility to use full, tiresome, annoying HTML code INCLUDING alt tags to embed them when they're hosted on another site.... this is so incredibly much hassle, so annoying, so tiresome, compared to BB code. I can't believe that hasn't been fixed in the month or two that "Huddler" has been running on Head-Fi. Please, for crying out loud, finally fix that thing so it is halfway as usable as any other forum system running on any other site.

In short, please finally enable BB code, like any other reputable forums system on this planet. Please. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #362 of 431
The new site really runs a lot of different javascripts, which can be quite annoying, and taxing for both the device and the network. I don't think that this means we need to go back to the old format, but there must be a middle ground somewhere.

While there are some good things about the new format, there is also room for improvement:

Quote:
This and I still can't seem to find the "find threads started by user" button - if there is one.

X2

Quote:
I don't mind any of the changes (after you get accustomed to it, it's not too bad) except for one. This website is horrifyingly slow on my iPhone now. It makes mobile surfing extremely tedious and frustrating. Please cut down on the ads and banner or make a mobile platform. It is exceedingly difficult to browse otherwise.
confused_face.gif

I agree that a mobile platform would be quite helpful, one that could be ported to a variety of app stores for various devices.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #363 of 431
I'm no computer geek, but the new and improved head-fi seems ok to me... I dont come here for the ease of use or user friendliness. I come here because all of you are here. Its a pretty cool forum in my humble opinion.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #364 of 431

Quote:
X2

I agree that a mobile platform would be quite helpful, something that could be ported to a variety of app stores for various devices.

We are working on increasing the mobile-friendliness of Head-Fi.  Even though it's still a long way from ideal for mobile browsing, several fixes (particularly with the text editor as it appears in most mobile browsers) have been rolled out, and will continue to roll out.

Quote:
The way images are treated is still completely backwards. So there's the possibility of uploading ONE image at a time to the site (no bulk uploader available), so it gets embedded in the WYSIWYG editor (no professional BB-code editor available), or there  is the possibility to use full, tiresome, annoying HTML code INCLUDING alt tags to embed them when they're hosted on another site.... this is so incredibly much hassle, so annoying, so tiresome, compared to BB code. I can't believe that hasn't been fixed in the month or two that "Huddler" has been running on Head-Fi. Please, for crying out loud, finally fix that thing so it is halfway as usable as any other forum system running on any other site.

In short, please finally enable BB code, like any other reputable forums system on this planet. Please. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

On your forum (which uses vBulletin), the only option to upload multiple images is via BB-code.  We are working to restore BB-code functionality here, and expect to be rolling that out as soon as we can.  Like other updates we're working on, full restoration of BB-code support will be iterative in nature, but there's a strong push for that now, thanks in large part to strong feedback on the matter from veteran members (including very vocal pushing from me).

vBulletin (even as it is implemented on your forum) does not support multiple uploads of images, except through BB-code.  The WYSIWYG image upload button was still used more often than BB-code by most members (on the vBulletin-based Head-Fi).  With respect to that function alone (the WYSIWYG image upload function), I have found the image upload button here to be far more capable and versatile than the image upload button in what was our vBulletin install.  For example, here, you're given the choice between uploading an image from your computer or via URL (as opposed to just URL), which means that one need not first upload an image to a hosting service and then get the URL from there.  I always found it inconvenient to have to first find a photo hosting location to upload my images to so that I could URL-link it in the post.  There are times the images I have are images located on my computer that I've not previously uploaded anywhere else.

Also, one thing, even after we get thoroughly underway with the major text editing revisions that we're working on, that I'd like to see continue is the image properties function in the editor here (as well as the aforementioned ability to post images directly from one's computer).  For example, if you upload a large image, you can (in the editor) right-click the image, choose image properties, and choose the width (and/or height) of the image as you want it to appear in your post (and clicking on that re-sized image would then show the full-sized version).  Here's an (extreme) example:

If you left-click on the image above, you can see it in full size (which is HUGE), even though I've chosen to display it in-thread at only 480 pixels wide, which, again, I've done via image properties (by right-clicking on the image in the edit window).  I find this very handy.

Again, we're working on restoring BB-code support.  It's a'comin'.  But WYSIWYG to WYSIWYG (this platform versus vBulletin), I find image management/uploading in the context of posting to be substantially easier on this platform (both from a multiple image loading standpoint, as well the versatility of display options).

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #365 of 431
I think the new layout needs to be a darker shade for sure and a few things need to be changed.  
Spellcheck being one >.>  I'd like to right click and choose the correct spelling on the word i choose instead of being forced to cycle though them ALL

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #366 of 431

Quote:
I think the new layout needs to be a darker shade for sure and a few things need to be changed....

Some darkening of the background has already occurred.  More thorough changes (and more darkening) are coming very soon.

Quote:
swbf2cheater said:

....and a few things need to be changed.  
Spellcheck being one >.>  I'd like to right click and choose the correct spelling on the word i choose instead of being forced to cycle though them ALL

This is something else we're working on.  However, in the interim, the following will work:  CTRL+rightclick (Windows), or CMD+rightclick (Mac).

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #369 of 431
I guess the the "find threads started by user" feature is lost in the cloud.

But thanks again for the detailed and thoughtful replies, Jude!

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #370 of 431
I enjoy the new layout more and except with the incredibly irritating new message popup on the PM box and excessive Google ads, I think the site looks better and I'm pretty sure that the site is faster and less resource-intensive as the old platform (which means less downtime and easier maintenance for the operator(s) and that's good for us).

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #371 of 431
I like the site better than previously. It took me a couple days to get everything working functionally and outside of that popup from PM's (I really wish there was an option to remove this..and if there is I haven't found it) and probably that little box that pops up when things are loading and such I like it. It definitely is more cleaner although I wish I could stretch the forum area all the way to the right and have the sponsors,recent reviews, etc on the top or bottom or remove it all together as a subscription service (I would pay for something like that) as I do all my browsing on a netbook these days and I have limited space as it is.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #372 of 431
^ I was getting pop-ups for PM's in the old version!

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #374 of 431
The search really is an Avatar of Uselessness. On the flipside of that, I does manually force people to actually search and then read and read and read and read. Which is what people complained about people not doing before.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #375 of 431

Quote:

..... the following will work:  CTRL+rightclick (Windows), or CMD+rightclick (Mac).

Its also control + right click for mac, I think. Command + right click does not work for my macbook pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back