Petition: I would like the old site back (or other choice)
Jun 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #391 of 431

Quote:
I have no idea. Only seen the ad 2-3 times. Right side of the screen. It was just a What type of moment, since the TOS prohibits political talk, but there's a political ad endorsing a democrat??.. I'm not even a Democrat. I'm a Libertarian.

We do try to filter out political ads here.  If you can post a screenshot and PM it to me, that might help us find it, so that we know what to filter.  I'm going to guess it is geo-targeting you, and I'm going to also guess that it's most likely Google AdSense serving it.  Again, if you could screenshot it (or, if you click on it, tell me what the URL is), I'd appreciate it.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #392 of 431
I love everything head Fi stands for. I met great people like ACIX (glad we could bury the hachet. You truly are very cool. & I admit I was the one at fault. & let my stupidity get the best of me.) More exposure to headphones while dispelling the many headphone myth.. I'm pro headphone & pro headfi.. I just feel Headfi is leaving me & my core values on how the site should be run. I never met Jude, but when I sent him a PM about Rich, without getting a reply, I was a bit hurt.. But we all owe gratitude towards Jude for his hard work & vigor. His love for headphones goes without saying

I appreciate most of the mods. The majority are fair & mature. Some, even very helpful. But to be blunt I really dislike 2. I won't name names.. I'm above that. I just feel some mods & members have have special rules that apply to them & no one else. I love to discuss this through PM.

I will Miss Uncle Erik. A great debater, & expresses himself as well as anyone on the board. Doug for his high intellect, & brutal honestly. A great, great, reviewer. & a injustice he was never awarded a mod position.

Welly Wu.. Great reviewer. Truly helpful, & pointed me in the right direction with the oppo83 SE. Thank you Mr WU. I wish you all the best.

Skylab is one of the most genuine, trustworthy headfier you can ever meet. This, being a double edged sword, as trusting as he is, cost him a amp to a common thief. But to his credit he has never changed. He always responded to my PM's.. & even told me to call him if I wanted. He is what headfi is all about.

& to the member who sent me my first DT48 before sending payment. I appreciate the trust you had in me, & paid you in full.. & the kindness of DR wells, who bought me a 701 & gave me 3 months to pay him back. & the countless number of free tubes he gave me. These are the true hereo's on head fi.. I paid him in a month. Too bad we all can't be as trusting.

& special thanks to Alex from APS, who PMed & asked if he in 07 could recable my SA5000 with a spare 650 stock cable he had. This is un heard of, of a man of such stature. I doubt Larry or Drew would have gone out of their way to help out a fellow head fier.. Alex, APS is about community first, & is truly part of the community in more ways them one. I admire a few mods IE Like Mcmanus.. Very care free, light hearted, doesn't take things too serious.. There are 2-3 more that slipped my mind. My apologies.

In the end, I see head fi going in the wrong direction. Is this my swan song? I really don't know. I just lack the excitement of posting here like yrs past.. I can't say how much longer I will stay here

Thank you for all the DT48 faithful... We are a small but vocal crowd who love our headphone.

Quote:
...same here 
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #393 of 431
Thank you for the quick response, Jude. Much appreciated.

Quote:

We do try to filter out political ads here.  If you can post a screenshot and PM it to me, that might help us find it, so that we know what to filter.  I'm going to guess it is geo-targeting you, and I'm going to also guess that it's most likely Google AdSense serving it.  Again, if you could screenshot it (or, if you click on it, tell me what the URL is), I'd appreciate it.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #396 of 431
You mentioned Uncle Eric, I don't think he's posted in over a month...
I liked his posts 
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #397 of 431

Quote:
The slowness makes the site nearly unusable and the "deep profiling" makes me uncomfortable, to put it kindly.

Quote:
What is deep profiling?

Quote:
Actually, regarding "deep user profiling," I contacted someone there to ask, as I was curious to know myself.  This is the answer I received:  "All it means is that we allow users to create a very in-depth user profile by allowing users to add lists, albums, custom profile questions, public messages, etc. all to their user profile.  It's all about end-user features and actually has nothing to do with advertisements or targeting."

I believe that's just what it means, as, in several of my teleconferences and e-mails with them, we focused a lot of attention on how the various sections of the site would tie into the user profiles.  That said, I hope they change the verbiage there, as I agree that it doesn't read well.

Quote:
Thanks for clearing up the 'deep profiling' concern.

I'm not sure that actually clears it up, if "deep profiling" is similar to the "deep packet inspection" used by certain ISPs:

"they are able to monitor web-browsing habits in a very detailed way allowing them to gain information about their customers' interests, which can be used by companies specializing in targeted advertising"

Additionally, "With the help of deep-packet inspection (DPI) providers can track online activity even though consumers may have blocked cookies."

It's not paranoia if they're actually out to get you{'re information}
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #398 of 431
grokit, I believe they go one step further.  I think they scan your cookies and target you based on what sites you visit -- I'm not sure if this is something Jude would advocate.  I am a graphic artist and occasionally I purchase stock photography from iStockPhoto.com.  Now I get banner ads from iStockPhoto on Head-Fi.  This obviously has nothing to do with targeting based on location (which they do as well), this has to do with tracking the sites you visit and sending you advertisements for them.  Also, right after I visited Adobe's website to read about CS5, I started getting ads from Adobe here on Head-Fi.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #399 of 431

Quote:
grokit, I believe they go one step further.  I think they scan your cookies and target you based on what sites you visit -- I'm not sure if this is something Jude would advocate.  I am a graphic artist and occasionally I purchase stock photography from iStockPhoto.com.  Now I get banner ads from iStockPhoto on Head-Fi.  This obviously has nothing to do with targeting based on location (which they do as well), this has to do with tracking the sites you visit and sending you advertisements for them.  Also, right after I visited Adobe's website to read about CS5, I started getting ads from Adobe here on Head-Fi.

I guess you've been "deep profiled"

Does Huddler get money when a banner like that is displayed, or only if it's clicked on?

What browser are you using?

USG

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #400 of 431
in Chrome: Options - Details - Content .. - Block cookies by third parties, et voila.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #401 of 431
A heartfelt post kool bubba ice. You may yet be another sad casualty to the forum overhaul.

Head-Fi will continue as essentially the same community, however I cant see how certain individuals like Duggeh could ever be satisfactorily replaced by any near future members.

And I entirely agree with your sentiments on some of the moderator's methods/philosophy, but I have never publicly criticized out of fear of losing my membership, or of wasting my time by having my post simply censored. Deleting threads/posts is detrimental to a moderator's credibility, and instead abusive threads/posts should only be locked and their posters suspended (but not from private messaging). It would be interesting to see forum's moderators who are appointed by their membership, and also the choice to make votes of no confidence against prevailing mods. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #403 of 431

Quote:
I spend about 70% less time here.. This new lay out is GREAT for giving you the tools to write reviews, but as a whole, It's bringing up farther apart as a community. It' seems to be all about the money.. Which saddens me.. I don't like tons of ads. It's cheesy & makes the site look cheap & money hungry. If there was a alternative site Id be there.. It also bothers me that guys like Doug, Erik, & Skylab (I think) Are not mods.. Yet we have some mods who troll threads (personal experience), While one blasted me for asking what theft measures are being taken for CanJam. This was last yrs CanJam. His words.. I was trying to ruin CanJam. People like this who have clout on this site can get away with such thuggery tactics.. I'm not alone in this. I received PM from other members who share my feelings.. This would have never happened in 06 when i joined. Headfi has some inside cleaning to do.. It just bothers be.. & I'm sure my post will be deleted which will just prove my point.

Those tools for reviews, that database, that's a way of getting the member base to generate advertising heirarchies. More reviews of the HD650 = more hits for Sennheiser = more money in from Sennheiser the sponsor to maintain click throughs. At least that's how I understand the system.

No way I could be a mod. I'm too firm a judge. Too iron fisted with rules. Can't offer illustrations easily because discussion of past member bans is prohibited.

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #405 of 431

Quote:

I must say, that does seem annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back