Pet Peeve - It's Gear not Gears!
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Canuck57

500+ Head-Fier
Not that I'm perfect, far from it...

It drives me nuts when I read a posting such as "that head-fier has a lot of gears." Would you say that you have a lot of softwares or hardwares or underwears?

What are your pet peeves? (spellin' corrected!)

Another is the improper use of it's/its

It's = contraction of "it is" or "it has" e.g. - It's a beautiful car.

Its = possessive form of it e.g. - The chicken couldn't make up its mind whether to cross the street!

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 65
There should be exceptions; Here's a shot of my rig:

gears3a.jpg

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I blame Epic Games

eff you kirosia. your reaction to any serious thread is a heartless quip. someday, someone funnier and better; someone better studies in sarcasm will upseat you and you will be left silent: an empty shell waiting for the spot to say something vicious but your fangs will be pulled.

and canuck and viper: you should know that you have no right saying how people can speak. english is an american language anyway.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

eff you kirosia. your reaction to any serious thread is a heartless quip. someday, someone funnier and better; someone better studies in sarcasm will upseat you and you will be left silent: an empty shell waiting for the spot to say something vicious but your fangs will be pulled.

Sarcasm? I'm just really dense.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and canuck and viper: you should know that you have no right saying how people can speak. english is an american language anyway.

Hey the Americans pronounce Z as Zee! Should be Zaid as in Zaid Zaid Top....eh!

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 65
There has been a tremendous downturn in proper spelling, grammar, and word usage over the past several years.
I dunno if it is a result of Internet usage and its abbreviations, slang, and word variants (such as the slang 'dunno' I used above).
Perhaps the Internet has simply made this more apparent since we had less occasion to see other people's written work prior.

Of course we must consider other factors such as the Internet being global so for many English is not their native language.

My pet peeve:
"I like headphones with lots of base" . . . the proper word when referring to the sound or the instrument is bass, the other one would be proper for "he stole third base".

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 65
Its really lousy aint it?
Peeps dun even noe how to talk an spell.
iono why dey let dems outta skoo, but w/e.
ya so did ya here da nu senns and grados yet?
They're seem's to be alotta talk about it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be exceptions; Here's a shot of my rig:

gears3a.jpg

WOW, the perfect rig for metal . . .
or for In-sync
icon10.gif

when the components mesh right I bet the synergy is incredible,
but I'd expect it sounds kinda tinny
tongue.gif