Perreaux or PPX3?
Oct 19, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #46 of 95
Thanks for all the responses guys, keep 'em coming! And I must extend special thanks to Zanth for keeping the thread on track. Indeed, I do not want to get involved in the Singlepower debate that's going on. I am already aware of the thread which started it all, and will keep those viewpoints in mind.

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #47 of 95
Has anyone had a real chance to compare some of these tube amps? I'm sure they're all wonderful pieces of gear, but it doesn't seem like many here have heard others in the price range.

Another question: what do people here think of the MAD Ear+ HD? I have received a message from someone willing to sell one at a good price.

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #48 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Has anyone had a real chance to compare some of these tube amps? I'm sure they're all wonderful pieces of gear, but it doesn't seem like many here have heard others in the price range.

Another question: what do people here think of the MAD Ear+ HD? I have an offer for one.

I loved a heavily modded Ear+ I heard with grados. I like the ppx3 with grado(sr-225) better yet and the ppx3 was noticeably better than the Ear+ with senns. I like the hd25 much better than the hd300 with senns or grados. I liked the hd25 best with senns but I have a warm sounding magnet wire upgrade cable I used with that pairing. I liked the Ear+ a little better than the hd25 with the sr-225's(flat pads by the way). Hope that helps!
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #49 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Has anyone around here ever watched Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope? I mean....this is a geeky site...I'm certain that the majority of folks have seen this film. It is after all one of the most popular films of all time. Just in case though I'm going to provide a quote from Jek Porkins, our friendly neighbourhood Red Six X-wing Pilot:

"STAY ON TARGET!"

No... Porkins had a problem... said he could hold it... said he was alright... then
[size=xx-large] KABOOOM!!![/size]

Eject.gif

Gold Five was the one who said stay on target... then they came from behind.
cgkrail.jpg

Really... I should deep-freeze your ass in Carbonite for that blunder...

took me an hour to find a pick of Gold 5!

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #50 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I loved a heavily modded Ear+ I heard with grados. I like the ppx3 with grado(sr-225) better yet and the ppx3 was noticeably better than the Ear+ with senns. I like the hd25 much better than the hd300 with senns or grados. I liked the hd25 best with senns but I have a warm sounding magnet wire upgrade cable I used with that pairing. I liked the Ear+ a little better than the hd25 with the sr-225's(flat pads by the way). Hope that helps!
wink.gif

The HD25 is definitely better with Grados then the HD300. The HD300 was meant to be used with high imp cans. The HD25 with low and high. There are some, like sacd lover that prefer the HD25 with Senns. I had both at the same time and I preferred the HD300 with the Senns by a large margin. Just my opinion.

Oct 19, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #51 of 95
A solid state alternative in the $500 range would be the Ray samuels XP-7.
I think a much better way to go than the Perreaux.
CPW

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #53 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
wink.gif

If I understand this correctly... you liked the PPX3 better than the Ear+ better than the HD25 better than the HD300... right?

3lusiv3: why the Talisman? Tell me something about it!

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #54 of 95
Quote:

I have never heard it but have followed threads about it and it seems like a very transparent, well made, high quality amp with a lot of oomph. Everyone who has owned this French amp has loved it and I am surprised that Kunwar is selling it, but he's probably buying something much more expensive. I would seriously consider it. Do some searches and I'm sure you'll find something or PM TonyTripleA who owns one.

Oct 19, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #55 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
No... Porkins had a problem... said he could hold it... said he was alright... then
[size=xx-large] KABOOOM!!![/size]

Eject.gif

Gold Five was the one who said stay on target... then they came from behind.
cgkrail.jpg

Really... I should deep-freeze your ass in Carbonite for that blunder...

Heh, so true man...so true. And I call myself a Star Wars fanatic...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #56 of 95
Quote:

If I understand this correctly... you liked the PPX3 better than the Ear+ better than the HD25 better than the HD300... right?

I liked the ppx3 best with the senns for sure and the hd25 second best. I like the grado sr-225 about equally with the Ear+ and ppx3 while the hd25 still does a good job with that headphone too. I think the ppx3 is the most versatile amp for headphones followed by the hd25. I didnt like the hd300 as well as the other amps even with the senns. I owned the hd300 and spent month or so with the amp so I know it pretty well. If I had grados only I would probably take the Ear+ over the hd25. Since senns are my favorite headphone I would put the hd25 as my second favorite. The ppx3 and hd25 sounded very good with everything while the Ear+ seemed to excell mainly with the grado phones.

So.... ppx3>hd25>Ear+>...............hd300

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #57 of 95
Can anyone comment on any of these tube amps with Beyerdynamic headphones, particularly how it affected the midrange?

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #58 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I assure you it didn't look like the pics that were posted in the other thread.
Weren't there problems with the early versions of the Singlepower amps?

With some of the stuff that's been posted on the site lately, I think one can be forgiven for assuming that such negative appearing statements as the ones' above were in the same vein. And if this is the kind of material you use in a "positive" post, I'd sure hate to be on the recieving end of one of your negative posts!

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
With some of the stuff that's been posted on the site lately, I think one can be forgiven for assuming that such negative appearing statements as the ones' above were in the same vein. And if this is the kind of material you use in a "positive" post, I'd sure hate to be on the recieving end of one of your negative posts!

Are you being serious? Tyrion was pointing out that even the Singlepower amps had teething problems in the early stages. He is comparing that to what Eddy Current had with their first run of amps.

You will be at the receiving end of negative posts - not only from him or me but from others here as well - if you dont read people's posts before you make a moronic reply. Why are you being so aggressive? 60 posts and less than 6 months on the forums and you're the hot-shot all of a sudden?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #60 of 95
I have a PPX3 that I got about a month ago, and I really like the sound of this amp, but, I'm currently in the process of having some of my concerns about this amp addressed by Mikhail (The person who owns singlepower) because I'm really concerned about the workmanship that went into creating my amp. I'm not trying to start anything, so people please don't jump on me, I'm just making sure this guy has ALL the facts before making up his mind. I'm a little upset that I didn't know anything about the issues around this amps build quality, and had I known all of the facts at the time I might not have purchased this amp. Yes, this amp sounds GREAT, but build quality is also something i'm interestead in too. Just my opinions on what might help you make up your mind. My goal is for you to have an amp your happy with when it's all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back