Perreaux or PPX3?
Oct 18, 2004 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a warm-sounding amp with a rich midrange and slightly recessed trebles for my DT531s. I was initially looking at tube amps in the $500 range, specifically the Singlepower PPX3. Now I see a thread for a Perreaux SXH1 for $200 and am wondering... is it really going to be worth it to get a $500 amp for a $150 headphone?

Aside from an E-Mu 0404, the amp is the last thing I need for my headphone system to be complete. I want something that's very synergistic with the DT531s, and while I don't want to skimp, I certainly don't want to break the bank, either. Should I snag the perreaux? Or wait until I have enough coin to get a PPX3 (or other tube amp)? Or is there another option I'm overlooking?

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 95
I think both amps are along the lines you have decided on going for. It just comes down to how good of an amp you want. For 200.00 the Perreaux is a very good amp. It is not in the same league as the PPX3. The PPX3 will give you more of everything you are looking for than the Perreaux. It will also add more punch through the bass and midbass than the Perreaux to the 531. Wether it is a 300 dollar improvment only you can say. It would be for me. But I'm biased towards the tube amps. Can you get the Perreaux on a return policy? If so try it and if its not quite what you want send it back and go from there.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 95
Dont forget about tuberolling on the PPX3.

The Perreaux however is :-

* Cheaper
* Smaller
* Lighter
* Easier to maintain
* Less prone to damage if something should hit the amp (PPX3 has exposed tubes)

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 95
I think my primary concern is... how much amplification is too much for the DT531?

From your comments I should assume then that the Perreaux is just 'PPX3 Lite'?

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Which does the Perreaux do better, high or low impedence, or everything?

i believe its high, it doesnt have a gain switch.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
i believe its high, it doesnt have a gain switch.

But didn't people like it as an inexpensive amp for the CD3ks? Those are 32ohm, right?

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
I think my primary concern is... how much amplification is too much for the DT531?

From your comments I should assume then that the Perreaux is just 'PPX3 Lite'?

The perreaux is not anything like the ppx3 and not a ppx3 lite. The ppx3 drives high or low impedence headphones easily and I believe the perreaux will too. How much amplification is to much can be answered only by your ears. More likely the question is which amp sounds best with the beyers. Your description of the sound you want is more like the ppx3. However, with this $200 deal around only a short time I would get the perreaux and see if it suited me. If not, you can sell it for virtually no loss and get the ppx3 later.

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 95
If build quality is even a remote concern of yours,the Perreaux is the way to go. I would also consider the Eddie Current HD300 if you fancy the tube sound. Both these products are very well constructed and sound very good.

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 95
Quote:

But didn't people like it as an inexpensive amp for the CD3ks? Those are 32ohm, right?

Correct, so I would assume it (Perreaux) does Grado (32ohm) well too?

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 95
Quick question about tube amps, since I haven't actually heard one yet:

That special quality that I can get from my turntable, which makes music sound more lifelike and real, a tube amp has that same quality as well, right? Even on a digital source?

And if the answer's yes, the Perreaux's not going to give that to me, right?

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I would also consider the Eddie Current HD300 if you fancy the tube sound. Both these products are very well constructed and sound very good.

Great recommendation Tuberoller! I think there is one up for sale on the FS/FT forum, somebody should snatch it up while they can because I think there are like only 12 or 13 of them in exsistence, and Craig (Eddie Current) has stated that no more HD300's will be produced. Truly a beautiful sounding amp especially with high impedence cans, an outstanding value, and extremely underrated IMO.

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
If build quality is even a remote concern of yours,the Perreaux is the way to go. I would also consider the Eddie Current HD300 if you fancy the tube sound. Both these products are very well constructed and sound very good.

I understand your reasons and appreciate your concern, but I'm still open to the PPX3. I will keep the Eddie Current in mind, however. What is the sound like?

For that matter, are there any other tube amps that match what I'm looking for sonically (and monetarily)?

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 95
I had the hd300 in my setup for awhile and I liked it alot!

to bad I didnt have the hd600's as I do now.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

Quick question about tube amps, since I haven't actually heard one yet:

That special quality that I can get from my turntable, which makes music sound more lifelike and real, a tube amp has that same quality as well, right? Even on a digital source?

And if the answer's yes, the Perreaux's not going to give that to me, right?

The PPX3 is going to give you a more warm and smoother sound than the Perreaux. Both amps will work equally well with any phones imp. high or low. The perreaux is very smooth and warm for a SS amp. It is not on the level of the PPX3 as far as sound quality goes. It has neither (the perreaux) the detail, or the powerful full sound of the PPX3. Your talking about two different levels of performance. Both good for the prices you are considering paying. IMO both are about as good as I have heard in the 200.00 and 500.00 price range your talking about spending. In this case....also IMO, the PPX3 is a far better amp than the Perreaux. Do a search and see if the owners of either amp has had quailty control issues. I remember some of the Perreauxs having hum problems. Not sure if they were the older models or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back