Perreaux or PPX3?
Oct 18, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #16 of 95
In your price range you'll find the Eddie Current,Antique Sound Labs MG Head MKIII and the Woo Audio 3. I have'nt auditioned the Woo Audio 3 but have heard the Woo Audio 1,the Eddie Current and ASL MG heads. All sound great with the Eddie Current having a slight edge in midrange sweetness. Check out the build of the Woo Audio 3,priced at $499,including shipping.

wiring.jpg

WooAudio_23.jpg

bottom.jpg

What you see in all three pics is true pride in workmanship and attention to detail. This is also further solid proof that you can have great sound and nice build quality in the same products.

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #17 of 95
Perreaux does mate quite well with DT531's, the punchy bass of the 531's helps with the bass on the Perreaux which I find a bit weak, the warm midrange does mate quite well though. It certainly isnt a bad sounding combo, but you can do better IMO, whether it be with a PPX3, or even the Rega Ear.

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 95
My guess would be that sound quality is a concern. Assuming that to be correct, then any of the amps mentioned will provide you with quality sound.

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #23 of 95
I haven't tried the PPX3, but I can vouch for the Perreaux being a great amp for the price. It's very well built (except the connectors on the back, imho), inexpensive, and you power two headphones instead of one. Evidently, version 0.3 ran class A most of the time, and since I could burn my hand on it after only a few minutes, I'm inclined to agree. Version 0.5 changed (the resistors? sorry, I really don't know) a few components, and thus v.5 of the Perreaux is able to drive low impedance cans like the Grados and Etys without hum. At $200, it's a tough call. Best of luck.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #24 of 95
The ppx3 is too much junkyness on the insides for it to cost too much money. the mpx and supera are just as much nasty on the guts and costing so much for both of them. Tube roller has the sds amps and they are sloppy in the sides of the amps very much too. Too sloppy and too much moeny to spend on such terrobile work.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #25 of 95
And so begins another day in the Singlepower Wars.
rolleyes.gif

I'd say that for you to be fully informed, check out the inside pics (the trolling, mudslinging, ect. in that thread can be safely ignored). If you can live with the chaotic insides, the PPX seems like a good way to go. SQwise, it still is great. The manufacturer gives a warranty. If you can't live with the insides, go for the Eddie(or perhaps the RP5 in the FS).

EDIT:
Sorry then. After checking his profile, I did think for a moment he knew you, Tuberoller (place of residence).

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #26 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by angel_teres
The ppx3 is too much junkyness on the insides for it to cost too much money. the mpx and supera are just as much nasty on the guts and costing so much for both of them. Tube roller has the sds amps and they are sloppy in the sides of the amps very much too. Too sloppy and too much moeny to spend on such terrobile work.

Do you have any opinon on the sound of the ppx3 amp? I believe that the person that started this thread was interested in a good sounding amp with his DT-531's. I don't see how you have added anything to this discussion other than to fan the flames from the other Singlepower related thread.

I've had the Perreaux and the E/C HD300 and they are two different amps. For $400 in the FS section the E/C is a great deal. The Perreaux for $200 is also a great deal. I've heard the PPX with HD-650's at a meet (not the best place to audition an amp) and I liked it. In the end I prefered the E/C HD300. They are all great amps for the money. Buy one and try it. You can always sell without too much problem.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 95
I know Angel owns a Supra and has heard all the other amps from this manufacturer,including one of the early examples I had. He should fill out his profile to give folks an idea of his very extensive gear list.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #28 of 95
Hi,

I have the Perreaux and have tried it with Grado 225s and my own AKG 501s as well as a number of in-between phones. It drives all of them well and provides, certainly with the lower-impedance phones, plenty of gain. There have been a number of QC issues with these amps but mine has been excellent thus far -- where would you be buying yours from? The AA deal has passed by now, I think. It's hard to find many of these amps to demo, but my experience has been (and i may be alone on this) that what you like and can live with very much depends on your own preferences, musical and equipment equally. If you can try either or both before you buy with your phones and some tunes, do so. This forum is a remarkable place and has all kinds of detailed, useful information, but no one thread or listener will have your exact set of preferences. Last note -- my Perreaux sounds much better fed into a modest APC surge protector. No noise at all now.

good luck,

o

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
If build quality is even a remote concern of yours,the Perreaux is the way to go. I would also consider the Eddie Current HD300 if you fancy the tube sound. Both these products are very well constructed and sound very good.

If build quality and reliability are so important to you why are you recommending the Perreaux which has had to go through many revisions in an attempt to fix problems? Oh and wasn't it the HD300 that was basically recalled because of noise issues with NOS tubes and circuit boards that could potentially crack when tuberolling because they weren't properly supported? To my knowledge there have been no such issues with the PPX3.

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #30 of 95
I would recommend the PPX3 over the Perreaux. I dont think the build quality should be something to worry about...I have seen it...thought about it...and as long as they uphold their superb warranty - I see no issues with owning a singlepower amp.

They sound excellent and have a solid warranty. Besides - Mikhail is fantastic to deal with and you can mix and match and do all sorts of mods/upgrades to your amp later on...

But the two amps in question are in entirely different price brackets. For a $300.00 budget it is hard to beat the Perreaux / Woo Audio.

I rate the Woo Audio 1 and 3 higher than the Perreaux SHX.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back