Perreaux or PPX3?
Oct 18, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #31 of 95
Has anyone around here ever watched Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope? I mean....this is a geeky site...I'm certain that the majority of folks have seen this film. It is after all one of the most popular films of all time. Just in case though I'm going to provide a quote from Jek Porkins, our friendly neighbourhood Red Six X-wing Pilot:

"STAY ON TARGET!"

I believe that quote sums up how I feel this thread should continue.

The original poster asked a few questions and gave a few points of interests he had in sound, lets address these questions and NOT have a flame war.

1) "I'm looking for a warm-sounding amp with a rich midrange and slightly recessed trebles for my DT531s."

2) "Is it really going to be worth it to get a $500 amp for a $150 headphone?"

3) "I want something that's very synergistic with the DT531s, and while I don't want to skimp, I certainly don't want to break the bank, either."

4) "Should I snag the perreaux? Or wait until I have enough coin to get a PPX3 (or other tube amp)? Or is there another option I'm overlooking?"

These are now nicely laid out for people answer directly. The last section has a few questions which directly request suggestions for alternative amps. Folks, as much as you Single Power lovers don't want the quality of the insides discussed, this is a valid consideration for people and although it is a fairly hot topic given the weekend's events, one is not prohibited from commenting on visually stunning workmanship inside nor the alternatively not so visually stunning workmanship. I'm no EE so I can't comment on whether SP amps are fine workmanship or not but visually, they are not up to the standards many come to expect in an amp. Yes it is true that many of you have had the amps for a while without problems; however, this thread is NOT going to turn into a war. This poor guy is asking for some help. He is not asking to get involved in the "WAR OF THE AMPS" So enough is enough. Comment on the questions. All off-topic or inflammatory remarks will be deleted.

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
If build quality and reliability are so important to you why are you recommending the Perreaux which has had to go through many revisions in an attempt to fix problems? Oh and wasn't it the HD300 that was basically recalled because of noise issues with NOS tubes and circuit boards that could potentially crack when tuberolling because they weren't properly supported? To my knowledge there have been no such issues with the PPX3.

Good point about the Perreaux, but I don't know enough to comment on it.

As far as the HD300 is concerned yes they were recalled to lower the voltage level pumped into the 6as7 which removed any noise or hum, and the circuit board was reinforced to eliminate any flex. My HD300 is DEAD silent, and I can tell you that with a dozen of tubes I've been doing some serious tuberolling and the board is solid as a rock.

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #33 of 95
Quote:

If build quality and reliability are so important to you why are you recommending the Perreaux which has had to go through many revisions in an attempt to fix problems? Oh and wasn't it the HD300 that was basically recalled because of noise issues with NOS tubes and circuit boards that could potentially crack when tuberolling because they weren't properly supported? To my knowledge there have been no such issues with the PPX3.

I had an HD300 without any noise no matter which tubes I used and I tried a bunch. The circuit boards didn't break but Craig agreed to strengthen them. The amp is extemely well built. I've opened it up and saw for myself. I assure you it didn't look like the pics that were posted in the other thread. In addition it was the first production run of an amp. Weren't there problems with the early versions of the Singlepower amps? Craig has made some pretty nice amps before Eddie Current, namely Moth. Having said all that, there all good amps. They all seem to honor their warranties. With the exception of the earlier Perreaux, a little before my time, they all seem to work pretty good. Some like one better than the other, what a shock. Enough with this childish banter back and forth (not directed at any one person). This stuff reads like it was written by my son and his friends (he's 11).

Zanth, I posted this before reading your last post. If you believe it to be off topic delete it.

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #34 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Which does the Perreaux do better, high or low impedence, or everything?

Everything, I have heard CD3000 out of it, and I know that some other members like it with HD600, and if both sounded good......I'm still a happy owner of one, IMHO it will beat the dust of many highly regarded and more recommended amps, for 200.00 it is strongly hard to beat...I will try to "upgrade" it, and try to squeeze the circuit to the limit, to see how good, (or bad) it could go, for 200.00....BTW the 200.00 price was an offer by AA right now they are all sold out, and you hardly will see any for that price, if I would sell mine here, I will go for more thant what I paid for it, right now it is costing a lot more, and IMO it is still a good offer, it does sound very good....

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #35 of 95
In regard to the cost difference of the amps mentioned in this thread, I've found that it's cheaper in the long run to spend the bucks on the better product in the first place, because sooner rather than later I would grow disasatisfied with the sound quality of the cheaper product (in general you usually get what you pay for in the audio game), and I would have to take the time and effort to sell what I had bought - usually at a loss - and then go out and purchase the better sounding product - which sometimes had risen in price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Enough with this childish banter back and forth (not directed at any one person).

How nice of you say that after you got your own 2 cents worth of banter in.

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #36 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
In regard to the cost difference of the amps mentioned in this thread, I've found that it's cheaper in the long run to spend the bucks on the better product in the first place, because sooner rather than later I would grow disasatisfied with the sound quality of the cheaper product (in general you usually get what you pay for in the audio game), and I would have to take the time and effort to sell what I had bought - usually at a loss - and then go out and purchase the better sounding product - which sometimes had risen in price.

How nice of you say that after you got your own 2 cents worth of banter in.

Actually, mine wasn't banter. I was addressing my experience with the HD300. In both my posts I managed to not cut down any of the amps. I praised all three including Craig and Mikhail. My post was positive, not negative, as some others. With the exception of pointing out the difference in the pics of the Singlepower and the inside of the E/C amp which in my opinion is factual. They look completely different in terms of the wiring. I don't know if one is better than the other and haven't said that one is better than the other. If that is considered to be negative than I apologize to Mikhail. I've purchased an MPX3 and can't wait for delivery.

Oct 19, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #37 of 95
Quote:

If build quality and reliability are so important to you why are you recommending the Perreaux which has had to go through many revisions in an attempt to fix problems?

Well, not that many OK, just one, and fixed for good.....and BTW the problem was only on the 120V 60Hz, version which they do not have in NZ, they tested all the amps in the bench with an step down transformer, and non of them had the problem. The amps are tested one by one BTW....As soon as they were aware of the problem later, they fix it....
Do you know of any other way for a manufacturer to wash his face....I would like to know....

Oct 19, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #38 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
1) "I'm looking for a warm-sounding amp with a rich midrange and slightly recessed trebles for my DT531s."

2) "Is it really going to be worth it to get a $500 amp for a $150 headphone?"

3) "I want something that's very synergistic with the DT531s, and while I don't want to skimp, I certainly don't want to break the bank, either."

4) a."Should I snag the perreaux? b.Or wait until I have enough coin to get a PPX3 (or other tube amp)? c.Or is there another option I'm overlooking?"

1. That sounds like the PPX3.
2. Definitely.
3. I think they would match well and may even buy the DT531 myself. The PPX3 is fine with any impedance headphones, although I think it would mate best with 250 or 300 ohm headphones. The PPX3 has no problem with low impedance Audio-Technica's.
4. a. No. That's just my opinion anyway. The perreaux seems like a great amp for it's price. Plus I'd like to qualify this by saying that I have read a lot about the Perreaux but have not heard it.
4. b & c. I would get either the PPX3 or the Talisman that is currently in the for sale section.

Oct 19, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #39 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Quick question about tube amps, since I haven't actually heard one yet:

That special quality that I can get from my turntable, which makes music sound more lifelike and real, a tube amp has that same quality as well, right? Even on a digital source?

And if the answer's yes, the Perreaux's not going to give that to me, right?

Where did you get that idea? You can get any good amp from any method of construction, tubes and SS, and get good result with any source. The way you made an amp (SS or tubes) has nothing to do with its sound quality, it is the implementation, and design what does. I have heard good amps in both worlds, is one better than the other? IMO not, both worlds work fine, one has more this and the other has more of that...period....BTW the Perreaux has a very nice tubey sound, if is this what you are looking for, it is a nice sounding amp...if you live around the NY area, come home for a free audition and acouple of beers.....

Oct 19, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #41 of 95
Well, I for one believe there are marked differences between tube and SS amps. Yes, design plays a big role, but whether you go with tube or transistors is a BIG part of the design.

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #42 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
Well, I for one believe there are marked differences between tube and SS amps. Yes, design plays a big role, but whether you go with tube or transistors is a BIG part of the design.

Yes, of the design, yes, but not a big part of the sound quality. I have heard amps on both worlds with very good results both, SS tubes and even ICs. And I do not believe in mythology, while talking on audio....
Why do you think that SS replaced the tubes in the market, commercially? And why do you think that evne though, they still coexist, to the date? Because each of them has its strenghs, and flaws, none is perfect....

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #43 of 95
I think we're on the same page, more or less. I'm not commenting about which sounds better. Tube amps inherently sound different then SS amps. That's all I'm saying, and I believe that was what Redvsion was inquiring about.

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #44 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I think we're on the same page, more or less. I'm not commenting about which sounds better. Tube amps inherently sound different then SS amps. That's all I'm saying, and I believe that was what Redvsion was inquiring about.

Well as a general rule, yes, but you can find tubey sounding SS amps, and very fast amps made with tubes, and very warm amps made by SS....the Perreaux remind me a tube amp more than a SS one....I have read the the Stealth is a very fast amp, and remind a SS one....one thing is sure, AFAIK, the only inherent thing in tube amps is usually the hight THD that give you that sweet sound, the rest is IMO, mythology.....

Oct 19, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #45 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
I'm looking for a warm-sounding amp with a rich midrange and slightly recessed trebles for my DT531s. I was initially looking at tube amps in the $500 range, specifically the Singlepower PPX3. Now I see a thread for a Perreaux SXH1 for $200 and am wondering... is it really going to be worth it to get a $500 amp for a $150 headphone?

Aside from an E-Mu 0404, the amp is the last thing I need for my headphone system to be complete. I want something that's very synergistic with the DT531s, and while I don't want to skimp, I certainly don't want to break the bank, either. Should I snag the perreaux? Or wait until I have enough coin to get a PPX3 (or other tube amp)? Or is there another option I'm overlooking?

I am quite happy with my PPX3 hooked to my Terratec EWX 24/96 sound card and AKG K271 headphones. I don't feel it's overkill to hook an amp that is worth more than both the source and heaphones combined and then some, the trio work together quite well. The nice thing about the PPX3 and other tube amps is that you can customize the sound by tube rolling. The set of tubes I have in there now gives me a nice mix between speed and that distinct tube warmth and soundstage, but I can get it to sound like a lush stereotypical tube amp (RCA cleartops) to almost like a solid-state amp (Ei tubes). As others have mentioned, tube amps really do have their own sound and some may like the tube sound more than others. Personally, I like the tube sound more than solid state since I find it so much more enjoyable to listen to but others prefer the tighter and generally faster sound of solid state. From what you want in an amp it seems tubes might be the better way to go, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back