Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Jun 27, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #797 of 1,454
anyone compare the various Periodic IEMs to the Campfire Comet and Atlas IEMs?
They seem intriguing especially the magnesium and beryllium body's
whereas I've only seen stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, wood, aluminum and titanium housings
I do have magnesium shelled laptop.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #798 of 1,454
anyone compare the various Periodic IEMs to the Campfire Comet and Atlas IEMs?
They seem intriguing especially the magnesium and beryllium body's
whereas I've only seen stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, wood, aluminum and titanium housings
I do have magnesium shelled laptop.
All our IEMs use polycarbonate for their acoustic shells; we use different metals for the diaphragms of the transducers.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #801 of 1,454
@DanWiggins any info to share on upcoming models?
Something new at London! We'll debut it there, in about 5 days...

For Nickel, it's all ready EXCEPT for T Mobile. We are killing the last of the GSM (cell phone) noise that we get from T Mobile devices in the US. We test clean with all other services and phones, but some earlier iPhones and the LG V30 have some residual GSM noise with Nickel. And we're not going to ship a product that can pick up GSM noise. So - we wait. I'm not happy about it, but we're not going to ship a product that could be noisy for a small segment of consumers.

We have, hopefully, the final changes identified at this time and are spinning new boards to test and certify. If that works - then we're about 45 days away from 100% availability. Unfortunately it takes 10-12 days to spin a board and a set of tests...:frowning2:

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #802 of 1,454
@DanWiggins I'll see you in London and I'm very much looking forward to your new product whatever it is. I love my Mg and Be (and I'm also looking forward to getting Snugs, who'll also be exhibiting, to make custom sleeves for them).

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #803 of 1,454
Something new at London! We'll debut it there, in about 5 days...

For Nickel, it's all ready EXCEPT for T Mobile. We are killing the last of the GSM (cell phone) noise that we get from T Mobile devices in the US. We test clean with all other services and phones, but some earlier iPhones and the LG V30 have some residual GSM noise with Nickel. And we're not going to ship a product that can pick up GSM noise. So - we wait. I'm not happy about it, but we're not going to ship a product that could be noisy for a small segment of consumers.

We have, hopefully, the final changes identified at this time and are spinning new boards to test and certify. If that works - then we're about 45 days away from 100% availability. Unfortunately it takes 10-12 days to spin a board and a set of tests...:frowning2:
Want the new stuff plus I do have a T-Mobile lg V10:-D, I do here so hiss without an amp.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #804 of 1,454
Any news from London ? New PA audio things and stuff ? Nickel looks cool, tiny little thing, but you have to have really good and clean audio output from your source since it does not employ a dac.

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #806 of 1,454
Yes! Here's what I wrote over in the CanJam London thread:

Back to the new unit, Periodic Audio C for Carbon. Dan encouraged me to listen to it before he told me anything about it, and I did. Friends, this earphone is like sinking into a big soft leather armchair that is so soft and comfortable that all the tension leaves your body and you just don't want to move. Layers and layers of smooth clean bass, again without sacrificing mids or any clarity up top, but the bass really dominates.

So what is it? For this earphone's diaphragm, Dan has grown a layer of industrial diamond on a light substrate. It's incredibly rigid, so it approaches ideal pistonic motion with less of the flexing you see in other materials. But this diaphragm has more mass than in Periodic's other drivers, and it resonates longer — the driver doesn't come to a stop as quickly when the signal stops. So you get a little bit of extra sustain on those low, long-excursion bass notes, and it's a little like being in a big room whose acoustics make all the low notes extra luscious.

Bassy and smooth, the C is so very, very much not my regular preferred sound — yet I kept coming back for more. I'm going to wind up buying one of these.
From a followup post, the price will be $399 and for sale soon but I'm not sure how soon.

The Ni amp was not at the show. Dan said they had finally solved the last of the phone RF interference problems (everything had been ready to go until they found one phone model that caused interference if it was on one carrier's SIM, and that set them back a little), but he didn't have a final unit to bring along to London. It sounded like that would be done for RMAF though.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #807 of 1,454
Could anyone compare these to Simgot en700 pro? Last time i visited a shop i was blown away by the simgots because of its price to performance ratio. After buying one i found periodic audio and their great reviews. Planning to get either Be or Mg but was wondering how they would compare to the en700 pro. Thanks.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #808 of 1,454
Nickel doesn't have a dac? If I remember correctly I talked too Dan and he said it did.
No DAC - analog input only. The dirty little secret is that the DAC in most cell phones/tablets is really quite good. The amplifier stage is what sucks. So - using an external amp means your built-in amp becomes a "preamp" and the sound is really cleaned up a lot by removing any and all power demands from the built-in amp.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #809 of 1,454
No DAC - analog input only. The dirty little secret is that the DAC in most cell phones/tablets is really quite good. The amplifier stage is what sucks. So - using an external amp means your built-in amp becomes a "preamp" and the sound is really cleaned up a lot by removing any and all power demands from the built-in amp.

Its pretty interesting, but also makes sense. Since modern smartphones are pretty close in sound quality with dedicated players. I had M3s and could not justify keeping it when my phone had practically the same sound playing same song. Black background, no hiss. Now where smartphone will struggle is driving iems and headphone properly with enough juice. Which in turn makes them ( smartphones ) sound congested and claustrophobic, they just dont have the power. This is where nickel might shine, a truly portable solution.

But i still prefer anything with an ESS Dac over a smartphone.

Also, any more details about the C. Sounds very intriguing. When do you plan to share specs and pics with us.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #810 of 1,454
Its pretty interesting, but also makes sense. Since modern smartphones are pretty close in sound quality with dedicated players. I had M3s and could not justify keeping it when my phone had practically the same sound playing same song. Black background, no hiss. Now where smartphone will struggle is driving iems and headphone properly with enough juice. Which in turn makes them ( smartphones ) sound congested and claustrophobic, they just dont have the power. This is where nickel might shine, a truly portable solution.

But i still prefer anything with an ESS Dac over a smartphone.

Also, any more details about the C. Sounds very intriguing. When do you plan to share specs and pics with us.
Carbon will be released before RMAF. We will get specs up sometime in late August, with shipments starting in late September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back