Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Aug 12, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #856 of 1,454
It does, for sure, sound like you need to find a more compatible set of tips, as my impressions are quite different from yours. Sounds like we are talking about 2 different phones entirely. I will post my impressions after I have had a chance to spend more time with them. Fortunately I have tips that I have long used successfully on my Be so at least I don't have to run through that search again. For my ears, the UE900 Large (green) tips work best for me.

yeah i know, they're impressions that seem to be in contrast to most i've read. Eartips always vary wildly with me though. i feel a bit nervous now all the same, i might order the Symbio tips that were mentioned in the thread. Silicone i can never get a proper (bassy) seal with.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #857 of 1,454
went back to these briefly and got scared off again. the good: for the first time ever i got a good seal with silicon (the double-flange stock) and the bass extension was even better than with the foam. the bad: a bit of harshness, i'm not sure if i'm just sensitive to certain things but - because i'm really not an expert at describing things in audiophile/sound signature terms - here's a good example of what's making them difficult to listen to/get used to. The snare drum (i think it's a snare drum) on this track is really distracting and seems a bit too forward in the mix. I know the song well and It doesn't bother me on other phones

Do any of you good folk have any insight on this, maybe it's an area of the sound spectrum that i'm just sensitive to?

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #859 of 1,454
went back to these briefly and got scared off again. the good: for the first time ever i got a good seal with silicon (the double-flange stock) and the bass extension was even better than with the foam. the bad: a bit of harshness, i'm not sure if i'm just sensitive to certain things but - because i'm really not an expert at describing things in audiophile/sound signature terms - here's a good example of what's making them difficult to listen to/get used to. The snare drum (i think it's a snare drum) on this track is really distracting and seems a bit too forward in the mix. I know the song well and It doesn't bother me on other phones

Do any of you good folk have any insight on this, maybe it's an area of the sound spectrum that i'm just sensitive to?

Yes, I noticed this also. It is, IMO, due to a very pronounced peak around 5 Khz which exacerbates the harmonics of such instruments as cymbals, snares, and other others that have a fundamental frequency in the 2-4 hz range. This area shows quite a pronounced frequency dip compared to the Be. I will be forwarding some specific information back to Dan regarding this issue. Considering that the Carbon is a darker overall sound when compared to the Be, I was surprised to hear a lot of sibilance which seemed even more apparent due to the dip in the mids. I feel that the increased sibilance is due to that pronounced 5 Khz-centered peak.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #860 of 1,454

I think I misunderstood which Periodic you were referring to. My above reply to your post was based on my experience thus far with the new Carbon in comparison to the Be!

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #863 of 1,454
So after months of research on iems I'm going to give the be a shot! I only have a few overear phones, so these will be my first iem..I first debated to go with an isine 10 or 20, or a campfire vega ..

I'm going with the v1 restock for now until they release a detachable cable model ..will be posting my impressions and pics soon !

Btw , maybe periodic can chime in but was just curious on the differences between the splitter reinforcements on the v1 and v2.. Is there a reason the v1 is metal and v2 is urethane? I know it's a small difference, but is the v1 more fragile in that area? :)

Aug 19, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #864 of 1,454
Just got a recabled version of my Be (litz cable + MMCX connectors) made by Pyotr from Russia :)

69f686509a0cb52746656eac2e3e2265.jpg

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #866 of 1,454
So after months of research on iems I'm going to give the be a shot! I only have a few overear phones, so these will be my first iem..I first debated to go with an isine 10 or 20, or a campfire vega ..

I'm going with the v1 restock for now until they release a detachable cable model ..will be posting my impressions and pics soon !

Btw , maybe periodic can chime in but was just curious on the differences between the splitter reinforcements on the v1 and v2.. Is there a reason the v1 is metal and v2 is urethane? I know it's a small difference, but is the v1 more fragile in that area? :)

I don't know the answer to that, but Dan told me (at CanJam London) that he is no longer selling v1s even as B-stock. All the "Blemished" on the Periodic site are v2 now.

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #868 of 1,454
I've had my Be's for a couple of months now and have been enjoying them about as much as I was hoping I would (still trying to find the best tips for me). The only thing I didn't like was the case, so I bought a box to put them in (I do most of my listening at bedtime). You might notice the mini-elastic on the right side so I can tell R from L by touch.
30525511218_4266bcdb2d_m.jpg

But nothing is perfect, and I was starting to think about picking up the Ti so I'd have more options. I stopped by here to check in and I'm glad I did. I am intrigued by the Carbon (and hoping some were 'blemished' in the first run!). It doesn't look like there's a lot of info out there yet, but would it be completely inaccurate to say that Mg is Be Jr and Ti is C Jr? Ti is V shaped with extra bass and the early word on Carbon is all about the bass, so it seemed like there may be some loose parallels here. What's different, sound-wise, between Ti and C?

Aug 31, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #869 of 1,454
I've had my Be's for a couple of months now and have been enjoying them about as much as I was hoping I would (still trying to find the best tips for me). The only thing I didn't like was the case, so I bought a box to put them in (I do most of my listening at bedtime). You might notice the mini-elastic on the right side so I can tell R from L by touch.
But nothing is perfect, and I was starting to think about picking up the Ti so I'd have more options. I stopped by here to check in and I'm glad I did. I am intrigued by the Carbon (and hoping some were 'blemished' in the first run!). It doesn't look like there's a lot of info out there yet, but would it be completely inaccurate to say that Mg is Be Jr and Ti is C Jr? Ti is V shaped with extra bass and the early word on Carbon is all about the bass, so it seemed like there may be some loose parallels here. What's different, sound-wise, between Ti and C?

While I don't own the Ti, I do have the Mg, Be and C. Yes, the Carbon is heavy on bass and should please even devoted bassheads. That said, the bass is very accurate, probably the best resolved deep bass I have heard in an IEM. In addition to the bass, highs are still detailed and stand well against the bass. Where the C falls short IMO, is that vocals are noticeably recessed.

Dan stated it well, in that the C will be polarizing, some will love it and some will wish it gone asap! My personal feeling is somewhere in between as for some types of music, the Carbon sounds just stunning..(think metal, hard rock, and generally rowdy music genre's. OTOH, it doesn't work well for pop vocals, or genre's where the mids take center stage.

This for sure is a phone that needs to be heard as I suspect there will be many subjective conflicting opinions rendered. IMO, by its nature, it's not the best Periodic all-arounder choice; I would have to award those honors to the Be.

I almost forgot to mention that the Carbon does work very well when listening in noisy environments as the lower frequencies are the first to be masked by outside noise, hence the emphasis on bass and sub-bass does make the Carbon quite a good choice for the gym, commuter train or plane use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back