Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Mar 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,051 of 1,683
popcorn.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,059 of 1,683
Well, I got a barely used PWD Mk II from a user on these forums for a great price. So far, I am loving the hell out of it using USB from my mac book pro, using Audirvana for a music player. I have a PC back home in NC--I am living in UT right now--that I really want to bring out to UT...its my baby...It has an HT Omega Claro card in it with optical/coaxial SPDIF out.

Does anyone have any input as to whether I will get any noticeable sound difference using the coaxial from my PC's sound card as opposed to USB from my MBP laptop? Is it normal to use a coaxial out from a PC soundcard to feed a DAC?

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #1,060 of 1,683
Quote:
Well, I got a barely used PWD Mk II from a user on these forums for a great price. So far, I am loving the hell out of it using USB from my mac book pro, using Audirvana for a music player. I have a PC back home in NC--I am living in UT right now--that I really want to bring out to UT...its my baby...It has an HT Omega Claro card in it with optical/coaxial SPDIF out.

Does anyone have any input as to whether I will get any noticeable sound difference using the coaxial from my PC's sound card as opposed to USB from my MBP laptop? Is it normal to use a coaxial out from a PC soundcard to feed a DAC?

DAC-dependent. With the PWD MK2, you'll barely notice a difference.

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #1,061 of 1,683
I use my onboard toslink instead of the usb because of a ground loop and no... no difference.  Use whatever you have on hand that doesn't have 'issues'.

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #1,062 of 1,683
Sweet thank you very much for your replies. Saves me a lot of money that I thought I might need for stuff such as Audiophilleo, etc. :D Good to know that the PWD MkII is as good standalone as it can get for the most part. :)

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,063 of 1,683
The USB implementation of the PWDII is very good. With the digital lens feature, it definitely cleans things up and gives you a more pristine picture. I upgraded from MKI (which isn't async USB and i believe doesn't have the digital lens implementation) to MKII, things just got a lot clearer in focus and presentation. Really noticeable and I was already pretty happy with MKI. (My reference was a Burson HA-160D.)

I haven't tried any of these USB to SPDIF converters to know if they make one whit of difference so can't tell you anything on that front. Curious to try though to see if it does have any impact on sound.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,064 of 1,683
Quote:
The USB implementation of the PWDII is very good. With the digital lens feature, it definitely cleans things up and gives you a more pristine picture. I upgraded from MKI (which isn't async USB and i believe doesn't have the digital lens implementation) to MKII, things just got a lot clearer in focus and presentation. Really noticeable and I was already pretty happy with MKI. (My reference was a Burson HA-160D.)

I haven't tried any of these USB to SPDIF converters to know if they make one whit of difference so can't tell you anything on that front. Curious to try though to see if it does have any impact on sound.

They can make a pretty dramatic difference depending on the DAC. The PWD MK2 can be improved upon too. Just search around, lots of info on Head-Fi and other fora.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #1,065 of 1,683
Quote:
They can make a pretty dramatic difference depending on the DAC. The PWD MK2 can be improved upon too. Just search around, lots of info on Head-Fi and other fora.

Can you allude to some of the improvements on the PWD you are referencing? There's a few out there but the one that seems to be easily doable (provided you have a downgradeable PWD) is reverting firmware to revision 2.0.2 (from 2.2.0).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back