Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
May 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,081 of 1,683
I have the Bridge, but stopped using it because I can't stand Elyric and JRiver to the Bridge won't support gapless. (I've written off the Bridge a defective product considering all the difficulties I've had with it.) Also, I find the tonal balance from the Bridge brighter, which is not to my preference.

But transports do make a notable difference. A friend of mind is using an old school Denon player which weighs five tons. I'm using the Empirical OR5 via HDMI I2S for computer USB conversion. I tried Audiophileo, but it didn't do anything and probably made things slightly worse (the PWD2 actually has a decent XMOS USB implementation.)

May 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,082 of 1,683
Quote:
Just got my PWD with bridge. Cannot really focus on sound yet as the connectivity is not fully there yet. Elyric via idevice is ineffective as a controller. Foobar upnp, while discovered by Elyric, cannot itself find the bridge as an output. Foobar does fine as a server, no cutoffs, but still need to find a serviceable controller. As for sound, first listen definitely suggests sharper leading edges, greater solidity and weight, better transients, less air and shallower soundstage than my W4S Dac 2 > Audiophilleo. 

How is the SQ using the I2S input on the W4S DAC if you had the opportunity to try it out?  Looking for DACs with the I2S input to compare with the two I have.  

Trying to decide now if I should just get the Off Ramp 5 or wait for the Off Ramp 6 that should release sometime this year - but no date.  The OR6 will have a XMOS interface with a galvanic isolated USB input.

May 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,083 of 1,683
I've never tried i2s so can't say. Over on audiogon I've read several reports that indicate i2s (PWT transport) and the bridge are about sonically equivalent. Of course there is no offramp in that equation, which is where I'm leaning for my next purchase. If there were comparisons between dual turbo clocks and stock, it would make the decision much easier to make. I don't mind dropping 2k, but the added clock seems like a huge premium to pay. The bridge atm is a pain in the ass.

The audiophilleo really did wonders for the W4S, and it bettered the NAD 51, PWD MKI and the Minimax plus that I auditioned. It certainly convinced me that usb audio still has a ways to go. Nevertheless the Brucasti M1 that I tried was just a whole 'nother ballgame and is apart from the offramp, the only remaining interests I have in sources.

May 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,085 of 1,683
Am using Jriver instead, which so far works best. Even the iPhone controller works without hiccups. I've been pretty loyal to Foobar for a long time, but gotta go with what works. 

May 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #1,086 of 1,683
Quote:
I've never tried i2s so can't say. Over on audiogon I've read several reports that indicate i2s (PWT transport) and the bridge are about sonically equivalent. Of course there is no offramp in that equation, which is where I'm leaning for my next purchase. If there were comparisons between dual turbo clocks and stock, it would make the decision much easier to make. I don't mind dropping 2k, but the added clock seems like a huge premium to pay. The bridge atm is a pain in the ass.

The audiophilleo really did wonders for the W4S, and it bettered the NAD 51, PWD MKI and the Minimax plus that I auditioned. It certainly convinced me that usb audio still has a ways to go. Nevertheless the Brucasti M1 that I tried was just a whole 'nother ballgame and is apart from the offramp, the only remaining interests I have in sources.

I have the OR5 without the turbo-clocks, but with the hynes regulator upgrade on the I2S for the PWD2.  I've also auditioned a unit with the turbo-clocks. The turbo-clock on the OR5 is nice, but not necessary or perhaps even desirable. It could be too much of a good thing (super precision and control to the point where the treble becomes too wooden and sounds lacking decay.)

The OR5 via HDMI/I2S to the PWD2 destroys the PWT, Bridge, USB, etc.

May 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #1,088 of 1,683
The Sonore Rendu seems to be a great product to utilize the I2S connection too. Any thoughts?

May 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,089 of 1,683
I have the OR5 without the turbo-clocks, but with the hynes regulator upgrade on the I2S for the PWD2.  I've also auditioned a unit with the turbo-clocks. The turbo-clock on the OR5 is nice, but not necessary or perhaps even desirable. It could be too much of a good thing (super precision and control to the point where the treble becomes too wooden and sounds lacking decay.)

The OR5 via HDMI/I2S to the PWD2 destroys the PWT, Bridge, USB, etc.

I need to stay off this topic before I emptied out my wallet again.

May 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,090 of 1,683
Talk about getting exactly what you asked for. Thanks. Offramp minus the $700 turbo clock makes it much more palateable.

May 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,091 of 1,683
Quote:
The Sonore Rendu seems to be a great product to utilize the I2S connection too. Any thoughts?

It depends. I know the OR5 to the PWD2 via I2S completely takes over for the master clock duties. The I2S from the OR5 includes both data and clock. It directly feeds the Wolfsies DAC chip and bypasses the "digital lens" buffer on the PWD2 in Native (not NativeX) mode, unlike SPDIF. You can actually switch to NativeX (and put the PSA "digital lens" buffer and internal clocks back into the equation), but I found that Native sounds better. In other words, the OR5 I2S Native (not NativeX) bypasses the PWD2's digital receiver section. I do wonder now if firmware 2.03 or 2.20 will even matter. I should test this.

Talk about getting exactly what you asked for. Thanks. Offramp minus the $700 turbo clock makes it much more palateable.

That would be a correct assessment. I've been looking for another DAC - one that comprises the low level detail retrieval of the modern sigma-delta chips with the tone of the older ladder chips. I think I may have finally found it - and more. I am still very curious about the A-GD Master 7. However, the complexity, build quality, and constant upgrades and changing sound of A-GD TOTL DACs scare me, given the cost of shipping 40lbs back to China. I think most people would be happy with the OR5 without the turbo-clock - just don't listen to one with the turbo-clock - and even if you did, it's one of those last 2-3% things in situation where you've already gained 35%.

May 4, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,092 of 1,683
Quote:

To sum it up, PC-coax/USB->PWD2 sounds boring compared to OR5 via I2S. I'm not the type of person to takes to spending $1500 on a goofy doodad frivolously, but I found that I could not live without it. It's basically transforms the PWD2 to a DAC on another level, with a slightly different sound too.

I won't spend an additionally $1500 on the OR5 or something else quickly. In fact, I'm very satisfied with what I have right now, whether it's USB connection or squeezebox via coaxial connection. I'm willing to wait out a bit more on PS Audio future virtual sound card. If it doesn't come out for the next year or so, well, I guess I'll look elsewhere like the OR5, Sonore Rendu, etc.

I don't blame you for thinking that the USB connection or PC-coax connection to be boring sounding. You're much more exposed to the audiophile world than I am. I simply like the fact that you have the expertise in the computer audio arena.

May 4, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #1,093 of 1,683
Now I'm afraid to have purrin over this Summer for a mini-meet.

Mini and micro-meets with him have already cost me a lot of money.  
rolleyes.gif

May 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,094 of 1,683
I believe purrin runs the original 2.03 firmware which is another thing to keep in mind.  As silly as it sounds jitter is something that changes the presentation and if you can fine tune it you can find your preferred level of image focus and dynamic impact.  2.20 w/ NativeX is just right for me and pretty immune to input choice.

May 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,095 of 1,683
Quote:

The OR5 kills the Bridge. It's more articulate with better blackground, while at the same time offering fluidity, warmth, smoothness, deeper more expansive more precise staging. Basically the PWD2 gets A's in all categories now. I have zero complaints. I have not yet heard a DAC (under good conditions) that does any single element better than the OR5 --I2S--> PWD2 (Native - not NativeX combo). The only downside is that stuff like software settings, players, etc. start to matter more now. Good if you have OCD.

To sum it up, PC-coax/USB->PWD2 sounds boring compared to OR5 via I2S. I'm not the type of person to takes to spending $1500 on a goofy doodad frivolously, but I found that I could not live without it. It's basically transforms the PWD2 to a DAC on another level, with a slightly different sound too.

Had the OR5 with all the options few months back. Like you, I found the PWD2 to improve significantly with it, especially via I2S. But, if you think the PWD2 improved that much, wait till you hear the OR5 with the Ref7.1...the difference was dramatic and it took the DAC to levels far beyond the PWD2 + OR5. I liked the Ref7.1 better even with midrange transports like the MK3 JKSPDIF, but the OR5 transforms it into a new DAC...to the point that the PWD2 seems clearly inferior IMO.

With the M7's new input processing, I have a feeling it won't respond as much as the Ref7.1 did, but I'm certain it'll be a great combo (and probably better than the Ref7.1 + OR5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back