Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Aug 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #47 of 1,683
The Beta's supposedly shipped Friday, although I didn't receive a tracking number. Maybe I'll go and check my CC to see if they charged me.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #49 of 1,683
For grins, did anyone ever compare one of these PWDs against a Lavry DA11 or a Cambridge 840c?

I'm looking at features and such and I could see a situation down the road where I might consider a PWD and PWT with bridge setup for myself if the funds are there and the situation is right. If did that, obviously I'd be selling my Cambridge 840c and probably another piece of gear. I'm in no hurry on the subject, just tantalized for now. I'm certainly happy with what I currently have but I admit to having been watching this product line with increasing interest.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #50 of 1,683
The Network Bridge is installed and up and running :)

No real problems with the Bridge install. At first it didn't see the wired network, cycled the power and wa-la network connection, no problem. Typical network type issue that makes non-computer people pull their hair out.

Tonight I'll try a comparison of full wav fed across the network to the bridge vs full wav fed via SPDIF fed directly from a M Audio Audiophile 192 (coax 75 ohm) properly configured Exemplar Audio Music Server.

Fun! fun! fun!

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #51 of 1,683
For those who are interested PS Audio has created a PWD Network Bridge Beta Blog. Totally transparent. The Beta Testers (I'm Ethan) are posting the entire naked truth for all to see.

Give PS Audio Credit.

I am. Now I'm going back to listening to the Bridge/PWD
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #53 of 1,683
Aug 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #54 of 1,683
I found out yesterday that as of August 15th, authorized PS Audio dealers in the country including Audio Advisor and Music Direct on the Internet, are running a promotion where you can get up to $1000 worth of trade in value towards the purchase of either a Perfectwave DAC or a Perfectwave Transport. I would suspect that would also include any Head-Fi sponsors that carry them but obviously I don't want to speak for anyone.

$1000 is the most you can get per piece of equipment and it has to be a 1:1 ratio and confined to DACs, Transports, CD players, and DVD players on trade. They determine by condition of unit and MSRP of unit.

Promotion runs until about the end of October. Does not include the Bridge.

Doesn't count for B-Stock. New units only. The only downside is I'd still be out three grand upfront for the DAC and then the $1000 would come back to me after I send in the trade in unit and assuming all was well with it.

I'm casually thinking about it. Plenty of time to stew on it. I figured I'd give you all the heads up.

How are you owners getting along these days?

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #55 of 1,683
The Beta testing is proceeding. I've run into a hardware problem (System related, not PWD/Bridge related) so until parts arrive I'm in a holding pattern.

In direct comparisons between WAV streamed via the Bridge vs WAV via SPDIF using Siltech Golden Ridge II from my Exemplar/Oppo BDP-83SE there is next to no difference. I for one am surprised, I was not buying into PS Audio's spiel that the Bridge would be as good as any transport. I don't have a PWT, so I can't speak to that comparison, but so far sonic quality is exceeding my expectations.

Updates for the iPad/iTouch/iPhone interface are coming fast and furious, so it is too early to reach any conclusion concerning the user interface. What I can say is the PS Audio is addressing any issues with amazing speed.

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #57 of 1,683
I too am super excited with the bridge coming out.  I was able to snag a PWD 6 months ago for less than $2k so it was a good investment to me, along with the discounted Bridge pre-order.  I am just hoping that the Bridge will make an audible difference compared to listening straight out of itunes on my iMac through USB.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #58 of 1,683

Quote:
Sorry, with the heat and everything I actually haven't been doing much listening, so I haven't done the comparisons between my Exemplar DAC and my PWD. Someone asked me about the USB input; I replied  -  I don't use USB. It is a flawed format. It was not engineered with high performance Audio transmission as the goal, SPDIF and AES/EBU were. I am 100% convinced that the headlong plunge that DAC's are taking towards the USB interface is Marketing driven. End users who want to use their computers as a source want it to be High Performance, but more importantly they want it to be easy, and magically low and behold USB (Which certainly is easy) suddenly becomes good, I don't buy it.

Of course the new USB DAC's are better than they were before, but that doesn't mean that the USB interface matches the performance of the older but DEDICATED digital audio transmission methods. It just means that they are getting better. So eventually I will do some comparisons between my DAC's, but not with USB. I have no interest in pursuing a flawed format. I anticipate that for Computer based audio I will be using PS Audio's Network Bridge (If it lives up to expectations (Hype)), and for spinning Discs I'll be using my Exemplar BDP-83SE (Which is still breaking in, but already sounding great).

Quote:
using the front panel power switch is really just turning the display off, all other circuitry remains powered up. To truly turn the unit off you need to use the back panel switch. Since it takes a while to warm up I'd only turn it off when going away for a few days.

That's good I'll be sure to leave it off.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #59 of 1,683
The bridge sounds great and I'll probably end up getting it, but would it really be that much better than perhaps a Squeezebox touch running S/Pdif to the unit? Am I totally off here? Is the network bridge driving the DAC with I2S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back