Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Aug 31, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #61 of 1,683

Quote:
Yes, The Bridge implements a Precision ReClocking of the Streamed Data and outputs I2S to the PWD.

I just picked my PSAudio PWD today but haven't had a chance to take it home yet. I use Squeezecenter and I like its interface and iPeng app and the Music IP integration and Trackstat. I think it has a DLNA plug-in. Music Direct has the bridge on their website but I don't know if they are actually selling it. I'd love to try it out. I downloaded the software for the iPhone and still have yet to go home and try it. I really want to stick with my existing interfaces like iPeng or even iTunes. I don't like the fact that I am being forced to used DLNA which, while a standard generally has poor software interfaces.

There's no real information on the interface or function of this bridge anywhere including PS Audio's website. Just a bunch of marketing and background information. I'd like to see a manual and some examples configurations.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #62 of 1,683
They're taking Pre-orders for the Bridge. The Bridge is currently in Beta testing. I just received a new version of the iPad app (TagNplay), and there's been 2 or 3 revisions of the bridge firmware. PS Audio has been very impressive with the speed that they address the various issues that have cropped up.

I'm currently listening to the BSO Grammy award winning recording of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé that I purchased and downloaded in AIFF 88.2/24 Stereo streamed across my network using the PWD/Bridge and it sounds fantastic. That being said there are still operational quirks that I am confident will be addressed.

I'm planning on ordering a couple of Reference Recordings HrX recordings to give 176.4/24 a try, they're just so freaking expensive ($45 a pop) for a DVD-R with the files on it. Linn has some 192/24 downloads, but they want $27 for for a 192/24 download. I have no problem paying a little more for a high resolution download, but Linn wants more than twice as much for a high res download than what they want for a 44.1/24 download. I suppose being on the cutting edge has always cost more
blink.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #63 of 1,683
FYI - The August PS Audio News Letter has been published, and the 1st 200 Bridges are scheduled to ship the end of September.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #64 of 1,683
My question revolves around the level of control I will have. Since my network has multiple computers and all Windows machines have built in WMP DLNA or UPNP will I have control enough that I can limit it to just one machine which I would use as the default music streaming machine? Ultimately I have been married to the Squeezecenter product and I use iTunes airtunes/remote as backup. Will I be able to use those other interfaces instead of the PS Audio app? I must admit the PS Audio app is quite good but it lacks some of the features I enjoy with either Squeezecenter/iPeng or airtunes/remote. I run a WHS machine which has all my music and on it a squeezebox server in addition I have a Mac Mini which runs iTunes/Airtunes. I also keep my entire library in both FLAC and ALAC. I wouldn't want duplicate songs due to my approach of parallel libraries. I really hope PS Audio can control the PC aspects in addition to the excellent job they do with the "audiophile" aspects. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #65 of 1,683

Quote:
My question revolves around the level of control I will have. Since my network has multiple computers and all Windows machines have built in WMP DLNA or UPNP will I have control enough that I can limit it to just one machine which I would use as the default music streaming machine? Ultimately I have been married to the Squeezecenter product and I use iTunes airtunes/remote as backup. Will I be able to use those other interfaces instead of the PS Audio app? I must admit the PS Audio app is quite good but it lacks some of the features I enjoy with either Squeezecenter/iPeng or airtunes/remote. I run a WHS machine which has all my music and on it a squeezebox server in addition I have a Mac Mini which runs iTunes/Airtunes. I also keep my entire library in both FLAC and ALAC. I wouldn't want duplicate songs due to my approach of parallel libraries. I really hope PS Audio can control the PC aspects in addition to the excellent job they do with the "audiophile" aspects. 

The PS Audio TagNPlay software that runs on iPhone, Touch and iPad will allow you to select one of many servers available for control, and also select the destination for it to play, in case you have multiple bridges or other devices that can play music from uPNP servers.  So, I can have my iMac as one music server, and my Macbook Pro as another, and choose between them.

I am experimenting with TwonkyServer for Mac which lets me select specific folders that I have my music, photos and videos stored in.  I have Twonky looking at my 1Tb external drive with my iTunes library, and it's serving up the same music and movies that iTunes is serving to my Apple TV's and Airport Express.  Both can serve at the same time.  I keep my FLAC files in a separate folder from iTunes music.  And, I can set my server software to serve folders that contain ALAC and then also folders that contain FLAC, and both are available to the TagNPlay software.

Since my library has two copies of many albums in different bit rates with the actual files in the same folder (320K and ALAC), the only thing I've had to do in preparation for my Bridge arriving is to rename some albums by adding the word "ALAC" at the end, so they are separated from the low bit rate albums when I look at the "albums list".  This way within TagNPlay I can choose to play "100 Lovers" or play "100 Lovers ALAC", instead of hearing two copies of each song when playing one album.

I used to use smart playlists where one playlist is "Album = blah blah blah" and "bitrate = 320K" and the other is "bitrate > 320K". TwonkyServer is only showing non-smart iTunes playlists in the web browser's controller, and NO iTunes playlists show up by default in the TagNPlay app.  So in TagNPlay I can just look for music by album name, and play them from there.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #66 of 1,683
Question for owners: If you don't have the PWT and are using other sources and transports...are you really giving up a whole lot? I have a couple of perfectly good sources and at least one player that's a tank that I can use as a transport. The only thing I couldn't use is I2S. Past marketing and all that: Is that really any big whoop?

If I get this PWD I could easily myself going for the Bridge, too.

I have this, the Wyred DAc-2, Neko, Audio-Gd, and probably several others on a short list and I'm trying to make heads or tails of everything at this point. So many choices!

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #67 of 1,683
I sold my PWT and use my old Sony DVD player as source and I did not notice a huge difference at all.  According to Bridge beta testers, the Bridge is as good as PWT using I2S.

I never tried the DACs you mentioned but I did have DACmagic, Pico, DA10, and DAC1 before and none comparible to PWD.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #68 of 1,683

Quote:
I sold my PWT and use my old Sony DVD player as source and I did not notice a huge difference at all.  According to Bridge beta testers, the Bridge is as good as PWT using I2S.

I never tried the DACs you mentioned but I did have DACmagic, Pico, DA10, and DAC1 before and none comparible to PWD.

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm using a Cambridge 840c and it's fairly solid although it's having a few personality issues that suggest to me that it might be time to put the periscope up and start looking around and so here I am.
wink_face.gif

The 840c has a bit of a dry and sterile high end to it and I wouldn't mind some more organic warmth/"analog like" sound at all. 

Do you all think the PWD's sound fits that bill?

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #70 of 1,683

Quote:
Just read the review 6moons did a while back.  I like all the ideas behind what it does, but not the looks so much.  The screen would drive me nuts.

That review gave me some ballpark starting idea to work with. The screen is nifty but not "necessary" for me.

In the back of my mind, I have to wonder: How much of the MSRP cost is for that cool screen?

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #73 of 1,683

Quote:
PWD arrived, box is huge, also the seller managed to get it to me next day delivery!

Going to be a really busy day wish I could crack it open
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="" />

On behalf of a number of us lurkers and fence sitters: So do I.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back