Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,756 of 2,804
Quote:
I can't recall how much smoother, but it certainly was. Also, careful when selecting nib size - Lamy nibs are w-i-d-e compared to many Japanese nibs. Or, maybe Lamy nibs are normal and Japanese nibs tend to be on the finer side.

Lamy comes in fine/extra fine.  But, a big factor in ink pens is the paper you write on.  Some (lower quality) paper sucks ink, and the lines become wider.

Also, I've heard that fine nibs tend to wear out faster because there's a smaller area in contact (same pressure, so larger force on the nib).  I've gone through a couple of nibs a year for my Hero pens, in school days when I used to write a lot of homework.

I'm also looking for Lamy extra fine nibs to buy.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,757 of 2,804
Quote:
Lamy comes in fine/extra fine.  But, a big factor in ink pens is the paper you write on.  Some (lower quality) paper sucks ink, and the lines become wider.

Also, I've heard that fine nibs tend to wear out faster because there's a smaller area in contact (same pressure, so larger force on the nib).  I've gone through a couple of nibs a year for my Hero pens, in school days when I used to write a lot of homework.

Going through nibs sounds like a PITA since I was planning on getting a fine or extra fine cp1 for school. Where'd you get spare nibs/how much did they cost?

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,759 of 2,804
Quote:
Quote:
I can't recall how much smoother, but it certainly was. Also, careful when selecting nib size - Lamy nibs are w-i-d-e compared to many Japanese nibs. Or, maybe Lamy nibs are normal and Japanese nibs tend to be on the finer side.

Understood that Lamy offers Fine/Extra fine. Was trying to illustrate that Lamy's selections write "Happy." 
biggrin.gif
 For example, my Pilot Metal Falcon has a fine nib. My Fine nib with my Lamy writes much broader by comparison, like it's a Medium nib.

I'm a lifelong user of Rhodia paper. Have yet to use Clairefontaine - it's exciting that the latter bought out the former, making no changes and offers very high quality French paper in their own right.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #1,760 of 2,804
Quote:

Going through nibs sounds like a PITA since I was planning on getting a fine or extra fine cp1 for school. Where'd you get spare nibs/how much did they cost?

Not really a PITA. The Hero's are much cheaper, so its possible their nibs aren't as durable as the Lamy. I still have a couple of the 'hooded' nib pens. I used to get mine from a local pen shop, < $1 per nib (this was 8 years ago).

Nowadays you can get a 10 pack - Hero 616's for < $20 on ebay, so I don't think people buy spares anymore, doesn't seem like its economical.

My suggestion is that you should try out the Lamy EF nib first, and find out how long can it last.  Typically, with the thin nibs, they're rough in the beginning, and smoothen out after a few days of use. If you're not writing a few pages everyday, you should be good for more than a year.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,761 of 2,804
Quote:
Understood that Lamy offers Fine/Extra fine. Was trying to illustrate that Lamy's selections write "Happy." 
biggrin.gif
 For example, my Pilot Metal Falcon has a fine nib. My Fine nib with my Lamy writes much broader by comparison, like it's a Medium nib.

I'm a lifelong user of Rhodia paper. Have yet to use Clairefontaine - it's exciting that the latter bought out the former, making no changes and offers very high quality French paper in their own right.

Yes, Lamy's are smooth, but I used my Safari M with a Paperluxe Diary/Journal, and that thing used to feed on ink, making the M look like bold.
I think Lamy's are pre-smoothed, so they tend to be slightly wider. Other nibs I've used have been rough (but write thin) in the start, and smooth out as you use them.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #1,762 of 2,804
Last hour, just minutes before midnight, it was Maintenance Monday! 

Flushed my twin Pilot Metal Falcons and topped them off with their respective Pilot Iroshizuku inks: The beautiful Ajisai in the left; The stunning Murasaki-Shikibu (Lady Murasaki) in the right.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,763 of 2,804
Always been writing with my trusty Pilot Hi-Tec-C 0.4 for many years. Finally got myself a Ti2 pen body as my plastic body nearly run out and extremely happy with it, I even swap out the standard blue for a sky blue.

On the other end... Pilot Clipless/Vanishing Point LE 2012 in fine coming in tomorrow.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,764 of 2,804
Picked up a cheap fine point jinhao and a extra fine hero to test out and see what type of nib I like best, most likely it'll one of the two new ones since I think the medium is a bit too heavy for my handwriting.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,765 of 2,804
Quote:
On the other end... Pilot Clipless/Vanishing Point LE 2012 in fine coming in tomorrow.

Hoping for pics of your new gift, those are gorgeous pens.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,766 of 2,804
I've always wanted a good quality pen and saw the Rotring Rapid Pro pens. I like how it's almost all black. What makes one pen different than the other? 

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,767 of 2,804
Quote:
I've always wanted a good quality pen and saw the Rotring Rapid Pro pens. I like how it's almost all black. What makes one pen different than the other? 

You feel the need for owning it
biggrin.gif

I have a Rapid Pro (pencil) and I like it. Nice and smooth feel, less balanced for me than a Rotring 600, but definitely worth a try if you like the look of it!
The writing experience with ballpoints vary with different refills.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,768 of 2,804
I did some searching and there are a few pen shops near where I live but only one that is open on Saturdays which is when I can go. I think I can go and see what kind of pens I like after buying the Rotring one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back